GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,040
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, ausinpetrov7195
» Online Users: 1,512
1 members and 1,511 guests
Cookiez17

Old 05-16-2005, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I also wanna add and I hope no one finds this offensive, but for the most part, an undergrad degree don't mean didly squat when you are first starting out. Many new grads expect to be starting out with a CEO salary for their first job. It just isn't like that. Sometimes you just need to swallow your pride and take that really low entry-level position. If your skills are great, you should be able to advance in no time. I know people who have been outta work for long periods of time and 99% of the time it's because their expectations are not in this reality of what they are qualified for.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GoldnBlue2004 Send a message via Yahoo to GoldnBlue2004
I can definitely agree. I am been out of school for a year now. I graduated from Johnson C. Smith University in Charlotte, NC with a B.A. in Communications. It has been so hard for me to find anything. I have gone through temp agencies and all. I don't know what to do. It is so sad to be unemployed and not able to go out to clubs, parties, shopping, or even hang out with my frat brothers because I don't have the money. I just wish I would have majored in something else.
FL 06

A Phi A...there is no other way.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Looking back, I feel that schools do not really prepare new grads for the realities of the job market. After all, schools are there to make money right? Even in my graduate program, they made it seem that once I got my Master's I would find this awesome job which was all roses and sunshine. Yeah, right. Not in this dimension. Plus it is now a major employer's market. Case in point, we've had an open Social Worker position since October on my team. Part of the reason it isn't filled yet is because my agency is being extremely picky over who they want to hire instead of giving a new grad a chance IMHO.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
I think people shouldn't look at universities as job training centers.
Universities do not provide graduates with the hands on skills many jobs/employers require. University students (especially those with a B.A.) are a dime a dozen. I will have to agree with Winney, that there are too many grds that expect a high salary when graduating from university. Sometimes, you just have to suck it up an take that entry level position and work your way up.
If you want the skills, try looking into a community college.

I understand your frustration, but keep trying. You will find something eventually.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Have you tried searching the Metrolina Paralegal Association's Job Bank?
Old 05-16-2005, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
This is a great reminder for people to go to good schools, major in subjects that are relevant to their careers, and to do well in their classes.

-Rudey
Along these same lines...

Something I've noticed is that people get a communications degree, but it doesn't really help them with any specific area of communications. In general, you'll want to get a more specific degree (journalism, public relations, advertising, etc.), as that will look better to potential employers. It will also give you more opportunity in college to build up your resume, as your portfolio can be more important than what classes you took.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

And then there's me. I have a music degree but have a great job working in private club membership. Sometimes things fall in your lap when you have the skills to do them.

I just wanted to say, too, that we just hired for a position, and I was able to see the other side of it. There were some GREAT resumes that came in, but when it comes down to it, employers are often looking for someone
VERY specific.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CarolinaDG

I just wanted to say, too, that we just hired for a position, and I was able to see the other side of it. There were some GREAT resumes that came in, but when it comes down to it, employers are often looking for someone
VERY specific. [/B]
Ahhhhh, most definately! I also agree with the specialized-ness of certain degrees. Internships are also a way of opening doors while in college. I think back to then and I often wish I got a p/t job actually in my field instead of waitressing for quick cash. It would have opened doors quicker upon graduation.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:13 PM

My specialization is Broadcast Journalism. I have a decent portfolio, and I am continuing my education (as second Bachelor's degree in Pre-Law).

On the lines of going to a good school, I went to a fine school. Winthrop University is recognized throughout the Southeast as an excellent school with excellent standards. I went to a school I loved, not to one I felt that Donald Trump or Bill Gates would approve of. I was 18 and did not know what I wanted to do until my senior year. By senior year, that's a little too late to be changing majors unless you want to be an undergrad for 10 years.

I also do not expect to earn the salary of a CEO. I don't have a problem with starting at the bottom and earning my way up the ladder. Honestly, I would much rather do that so I would feel like I really did earn my spot in the position and the company. I would not mind earning in the dreaded $20,000 range. I would at least be able to make the ends meet. At the rate I am going, I'll be in the poor house next month if I don't find something very soon. I am very much a realist when it comes to what to expect in salaries and schools.

I also realize college does not train students in practical skills rather they train in theories and ideas. Heck, I could have gone to Harvard and still not have been trained in practical skills. It's pretty much the same across the board when it comes to 4-year colleges and universities.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey ZTAWinthropgirl:

I was speaking in generalized terms, not towards you at all. Just an observation I have made, especially in my field .
Old 05-16-2005, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

ZTAWinthropGirl - if you don't get into the law school of your choice, what will the second bachelor's have gotten you? A pre-law degree is rather worthless. If you look at the breakdown of what majors score well on the LSAT, pre-law is nowhere near the top. The average LSAT score with a pre-law major is a 147.3. Major in something you actually want to do.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I have several friends with communication BA's who took the LSAT and went to law school. Don't waste your time with unecessary degrees.

To college students: I agree, college doesn't prepare you for the working world-- you need to be aggressive and get out there with internships and memberships in pre-professional societies. A degree doesn't open doors-- it gets you TO the door. You have to be the one to push through. And your actual degree is irrelevant. I know chemistry BA's who have had successful careers in marketing. Get an internship.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by adpiucf
And your actual degree is irrelevant. I know chemistry BA's who have had successful careers in marketing. Get an internship.
Is this bad career advice day?

-Rudey
Old 05-16-2005, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

My degree has absolutely nothing to do with my job. I agree with many others that have posted, it doesn't really matter. The job I am in now was a temporary position that started the day after my graduation and was only supposed to be for three months. I am now a salaried full-time employee.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by sueali
My degree has absolutely nothing to do with my job. I agree with many others that have posted, it doesn't really matter. The job I am in now was a temporary position that started the day after my graduation and was only supposed to be for three months. I am now a salaried full-time employee.
A "drop in the bucket" and probably for something very, very low level.

-Rudey