GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 2,106
3 members and 2,103 guests
anatexaxd6741

Old 01-25-2006, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to DZTUBAGIRL Send a message via AIM to DZTUBAGIRL Send a message via Yahoo to DZTUBAGIRL
I filled out an application for Loudoun co yesterday. Man they do pay really good but I don't know about the location.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Loudon County definitely has one of the highest pay scales, but cost of living is high up there. I hear Albermarle and the areas around Charlottesville pay fairly well. Here in Lynchburg the pay is supposed to be decent, but not near what it is in NoVA.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm bumping this for comments/advice from teachers. Especially urban teachers and/or HS teachers. I'm applying to a program for my Masters in teaching (science) so I'm interested in how life is for other teachers. Esp in this crazy economy we have where Ed budgets are being ripped apart. Which is why I should say "I'm applying to the MAT program next year...if it still exists!"
Old 07-18-2011, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I'm a 5th year teacher in Southern California. I have tenure but I've been laid off every year I've been teaching. I get lucky and get rehired each year but it's never easy having to deal with the agonizing months of looking for other employment while still hoping you get rehired. It sucks!

I have 2 Masters degrees (one in Education and one in Reading) and 3 different teaching credentials (a K-8 General Ed Credential, a BCLAD which is an authorization to teach in Spanish and a a K-12 Reading Credential). All three are highly prized in my particular school district and in California yet seniority will always trump education and experience.

It's not easy because teachers are having to deal with large class sizes and limited funds for the basics like school supplies, books and programs. Many programs are being slashed such as art, music, pe, etc. Being a teacher in this economy is not easy. The pay isn't that great either no matter what people say. The cost of living is high and even with what I make, I am grateful my husband makes good money to enable us to be able to pay our mortgage, bills, etc.

My best advice for new teachers is to hang in there because unfortunately, I don't see it getting easier anytime soon.