GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,040
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, ausinpetrov7195
» Online Users: 1,606
1 members and 1,605 guests
No Members online

Old 07-21-2003, 10:59 AM

Finally just found a job! It's been almost 3 months of looking.
I got a job as a marketing coordinator. Although I want to do marketing, the job I will be doing is not my "dream job". But, it's a job and hopefully it will give me something I can put on my resume so that in about a year I can find my dream job.
Old 08-07-2003, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

After months of nothing I went from initial contact to getting a job offer from two different companies in the same two-week period. The first offer was from my second choice company, but my first choice company gave me an offer within a couple of days of the other. I'm going to be a claims adjuster for a relatively major auto insurance company. While this only marginally has anything to do with my major (physics), this should be good enough to get my life started and get me through a masters program so that I can get into the field I've always wanted (aerodynamics/astrodynamics). Good luck to those who are still searching!
Old 08-17-2003, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm still looking... blaaaaaah!

I graduated in May from FSU with a BA in Theatre... and the desire to take a good five years off from theatre before I go back to grad school for Theatre Education. Over the summer, I was a camp counselor at a Girl Scout resident camp, so there was really no way to be interviewing or even job searching, and now I've been home for a week and am desperately looking for something to do. I don't even know what I want to do - something with kids, where I can play and have a good time. And hopefully get paid a lot, but that's not such a big priority.

I'm looking into Children's Museums and after-school programs and stuff, but nothing really catches my attention. And I REALLY want to be a Youth Counselor for Disney Cruise Lines (playing with kids while on a cruise... fun!) so I'm sending them my resume every week with hopes they'll realize I'm perfect for the job...

I have a boarding school in Massachusetts that I have to call on Monday, but the woman I'm trying to reach is never in her office... so frustrating!
Old 08-17-2003, 11:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by KerriMarie
I'm still looking... blaaaaaah!

I graduated in May from FSU with a BA in Theatre... and the desire to take a good five years off from theatre before I go back to grad school for Theatre Education. Over the summer, I was a camp counselor at a Girl Scout resident camp, so there was really no way to be interviewing or even job searching, and now I've been home for a week and am desperately looking for something to do. I don't even know what I want to do - something with kids, where I can play and have a good time. And hopefully get paid a lot, but that's not such a big priority.

I'm looking into Children's Museums and after-school programs and stuff, but nothing really catches my attention. And I REALLY want to be a Youth Counselor for Disney Cruise Lines (playing with kids while on a cruise... fun!) so I'm sending them my resume every week with hopes they'll realize I'm perfect for the job...

I have a boarding school in Massachusetts that I have to call on Monday, but the woman I'm trying to reach is never in her office... so frustrating!

If you're cute, I have an audition for you in Chicago that you can attend.

-Rudey
--Ladies, I still need an intern.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm still unemployed... I was wondering if anyone would take a non-paid internship for the experience and to get your foot in the door somewhere doing the usual grunt work but also doing the things you would like to be involved with someday. I don't have a part-time job now and I'd be spending money to commute into the city for this internship-- would you take it or would you pass it up and just concentrate on finding a full-time job?
Old 08-22-2003, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

That's exactly what a good amount of my friends are doing, especially if they live someplace close to a big city, which allows them to commute (they're living at home). Most are coupling it with a small part-time job, though.

If I wasn't going to grad school, I'd probably be doing the same thing.
Old 08-22-2003, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Right now I'm living at home while doing a paid internship with a well known movie company in NYC. However, I am still looking for a full-time job. In the meantime, I'm getting some great hands-on experience and it will look good on my resume.

The economy just sucks right now. Most of my friends who graduated this past spring are either still unemployed and living at home or working part-time jobs. I only know like 3 people who have full-time jobs in their fields.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

I took the unpaid internship because I'd be doing things I'm really interested in... yesterday was my first day, I actually get paid a whole $10 for the bus/subway per day. I'm interning 2 days/week, which still allows me plenty of time to apply for jobs... and I think I'm going to really like it.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jess_pom
Yeah! Finally got a job. I'll be working at the local FOX affiliate running cameras.

Hey, everyone's gotta start somewhere!
Old 09-02-2003, 11:28 PM

Send a message via AIM to EagleChick19
Quote:
Originally posted by jess_pom
Yeah! Finally got a job. I'll be working at the local FOX affiliate running cameras.

Hey, everyone's gotta start somewhere!
At Fox43? Well, congratulations on the new job!
Old 09-03-2003, 09:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jess_pom
At Fox43? Well, congratulations on the new job!

Haha, thanks! It is Fox 43, good job!
Old 09-24-2003, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I'd just like to post that I'm starting to get very frustrated that I can't find a job!!!! I never thought it would take me this long... because I think I have a damn good resume. I'm starting to lose hope and thinking I should just start applying for jobs that I don't really want, just so long as it pays well. But then I know I'll be stuck somewhere I don't want to be... I don't want to settle! Anyone other recent grads feel my frustration?
Old 09-24-2003, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovelyivy84
Quote:
Originally posted by MeLikey
I'd just like to post that I'm starting to get very frustrated that I can't find a job!!!! I never thought it would take me this long... because I think I have a damn good resume. I'm starting to lose hope and thinking I should just start applying for jobs that I don't really want, just so long as it pays well. But then I know I'll be stuck somewhere I don't want to be... I don't want to settle! Anyone other recent grads feel my frustration?
Ther are plenty of people in the same position. I was up until a month ago, when I took a job that I would never in a million years have thought would be something I'd end up doing.

Guess what? I love what I do. I feel like it's important, and I can now PAY MY BILLS.

Don't shut yourself off from your options and DON'T BLAME YOURSELF. It's a rough market right now for everyone and jobs are harder than ever to find.

It really isn't you.
It may be said with rough accuracy that there are three stages in the life of a strong people. First, it is a small power, and fights small powers. Then it is a great power, and fights great powers. Then it is a great power, and fights small powers, but pretends that they are great powers, in order to rekindle the ashes of its ancient emotion and vanity.-- G.K. Chesterton
Old 09-24-2003, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb Advice From A Veteran

Gang, if you just graduated this past spring, it is WAY too early to give up hope.

I started looking for "gainful employment" as a grad-school-dropout in 1991. The same comments got thrown around: the economy is bad. Blame the big bad 'ole government. Someone else has better connections and it's their mission in life to screw you out of a job.

But the fact is, the first job is always the hardest because of the universal Catch-22: you need experience to get a job, you need a job to get experience.

For a while, most people have to do two jobs at once: one that pays the bills and one that gets you in the field you love and worked for. THIS IS NORMAL! AND IT CAN TAKE YEARS!!

I didn't walk out of grad school and down the street to a plush (???) office at MDACC. After dropping out of school I bounced around from contract lab work (karyotypes for a genetic diagnostics firm) to secretarial work to - gag - phone surveys for the Gallup Poll. This went on for a year before I got my foot in the door at Anderson. Even then, I started at the bottom of the lab rats (tech assistants) and worked for TEN YEARS to get the all-but-tenured coordinator position I have now.

So to make a long story short (too late...) it's OK if you're struggling for a while. It's normal. Everyone goes through it, regardless of their time and place. You guys are doing fine and it's OK to take a "transitional" job until you settle in to the one you love.

Positive job vibes coming everyone's way! I've been where you are and it does get better!!!

Adrienne
Old 09-25-2003, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks lovelyivy84 and adduncan for responding. Leading up to graduation, all of my friends were like you're not going to have a problem finding a job because of my past experience, so that's why it's even more frustrating! My boss at my internship, (who's young and really cool and laid back) was like don't worry, you've got time. I guess I'm just getting anxious and I think about school and what I should have done differently, ie. change my major, since I don't want to really do anything in my field. But I'm not going to give up! (yet).