GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,682
1 members and 1,681 guests
indygphib

Old 07-05-2003, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jess_pom
Spring Grads-- Employed yet?

I'm not, grrrr..... but oh well. Got another rejection letter today. Just wondering how everyone else is making out.
Old 07-05-2003, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

What is your degree in?
Old 07-05-2003, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chideltjen
i graduated this spring. i have a decent paying job, but it's temp and has nothing to do with my degree. i am a graphic designer but the job is correcting backorders for parts repair. we work with companies around the world.

i am hopefully going back to school in the fall for more stuff and to kill time. it depends on the job. they may keep me on or i will get dropped and will find an internship somewhere else.
Old 07-05-2003, 09:55 PM

I've had a billion interviews but, alas, nothing. I've always gotten the 2nd interview for every company I meet with. The even cooler thing is that I have always been one of the top people under consideration for the job. Unfortunately, I'm never THE top person. It's just disheartning because I get so far in the interview process only to be told every time, "It was down to just a few people and you were one of those people but we've decided to go with someone else" or "It was between you and someone else but the other person has more experience so we went with them." It's like a catch-22; companies want to hire people with experience but how can I gain that experience if they're not willing to hire me? grrrrrr.
In the meantime, I work at a retail store. The most aggravating thing is that I know my management is less educated than me and I feel I could do their jobs better. But, it's the only thing I've got right now so I just suck it up and hope that I'll find something else soon.
Old 07-05-2003, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Still doing a lot of interviewing/sending out resumes and stuff.

I'm working as a preschool teacher still, and doing babysitting on the side; but it's not at all what I want to do, I can't really take it for much longer.
Old 07-06-2003, 12:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTAMich
I'm a NYC Dept. of Education employee! I'm in an alternate certification program for Education called the NYCTeachingFellows. I will have my very own classroom this fall. Don't know the school yet just that it will be in the Bronx. Right now as part of our training I'm helping out in summer school @ PS85
Old 07-06-2003, 08:37 AM
Unregistered-

Not employed yet, but that's by choice. I'll be entering graduate school in the Fall, but I'm taking a summer school course starting Monday because...well, I hate just working during the summer.

If I don't go back now, I'll never go back.
Old 07-06-2003, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I still have not found a job yet, but I am planning on going back to school in the fall. Unfortunately, all of the schools I have applied to have been dragging their feet for grad and second degree programs. I guess I could find a job if I really wanted one, but I refuse to work a low paying job now that I have my degree.
Old 07-06-2003, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Gina1201
Nope, I'm off to grad school in the fall. I do still have my part-time job from college.

Cause even when I'm a mess
I still put on a vest
With an 'S' on my chest
Oh yes, I'm a SUPERWOMAN
Old 07-06-2003, 08:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OohTeenyWahine

If I don't go back now, I'll never go back.
Same here, I'm going straight back to graduate school. Although most of my friends graduated with jobs in their field, this current administration hasn't been too kind to the arts; it makes more sense for me just to go back and get my M.Arch as soon as possible.
Old 07-12-2003, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jess_pom
FFFFF****!!!!!$$$$$$$$

Just got another rejection email! What's up with that? I feel like such a serious loser! I can't take it!
Old 07-12-2003, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jess_pom
FFFFF****!!!!!$$$$$$$$

Just got another rejection email! What's up with that? I feel like such a serious loser! I can't take it!
I'm really sorry to hear that

I'm sure I don't have to say finding (and keeping) a job right now is extremely tough.

My boyfriend who graduated with an IT degree in August 2002 just recently found his job this past February.

My older biological sister was lucky to find a job right after she graduated this past December, but she just recently got laid off as her company is closing their Texas office.

I had been part-time job hunting since January and just got a job earlier this month.. so it's pretty crazy that it's even hard to find part-time work.

Keep your head up girl... you're not a serious loser! The job market just really sucks right now
Old 07-15-2003, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Not yet-- it's my fault though, I have to get more on top of applying for jobs... I never thought I'd be out of college looking in the NYTimes classifieds... the worst is I've been shopping more because of my free time and I'm thinking I need a part-time job while I look for a full-time one. The worst part is that I graduated with a journalism degree (broadcast) but I want to work in the entertainment industry with a movie studio. I've had all of these internships, yet I feel like I don't have the skills I need.
Old 07-17-2003, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
I graduated this spring, and unfortunately I do not have a job either. I've heard a lot of teachers get hired in August, so I am crossing my fingers, but I may end up subbing for another year.
Old 07-21-2003, 02:29 AM
Banned

I got 2 offers and work at an investment bank as an analyst. I don't know how much passion I have for it so I might not be there too long before applying to some sort of grad school.

-Rudey
--I want all of you by The Verve Pipe is cheesy but I like it a lot.