GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,044
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, NikiMussen
» Online Users: 1,472
0 members and 1,472 guests
No Members online

Old 03-21-2004, 01:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Any idea of some of the best schools around to get a Masters in Higher Ed/Student Affairs/College Student Personnel...etc??

I have heard Bowling Green and Indiana U....any others?
Old 03-21-2004, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

one of our tlc's

(traveling leadership consultant) is applying to the university of georgia to get a masters in student affairs. i didn't ask her if it has a premier program in that field. she went to college up north, so i feel there must be a reason that she chose that school, but i don't know.
Old 03-21-2004, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Quote:
Originally posted by hannahgirl
I've heard this too.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Let me see if I can remember some of the top programs. BGSU and IU definitely...plus Texas A&M, Iowa State, Michigan State, Maryland, Miami-Ohio, Ohio State, as well as Michigan. Those are just a few, and I know that some specialize in particular areas of student affairs.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:03 AM
GreekChat Member

I've also heard that University of South Carolina , University of Vermont and Indiana University in Pennsylvania have fairly good programs.

I'm applying to 4 schools for fall 2005...wish me luck.
<---Future VP of Student Affairs.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm pretty sure our most recent Director of Greek Life got her masters somewhere in FL. The job is open now, so if anyone is interested, Elon is taking applications.

Elon University

Just go down to office of HR on the left and click on employment opportunities
Old 07-01-2004, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

It seems to me that although a degree in a specific field would be helpful, that experience would be more highly weighted.

For example, I would LOVE to work on campus, doing either student life or greek life. I however, am pursuing a master's in marketing communication.

I AM however, going to be advising for my sorority and *hopefully* helping the greek office at my own graduate school (where my org is not).

Therefore, if eventually I decide to take the route of student life/greek affairs, I will have experience both as an org advisor and helping a greek council.

Plus, I'll probably end up in admissions first, but you can always lateral to another part of campus!

Experience counts, not that piece of paper. You can always sign up for training for events, every one, even with a degree in HEA, has to keep up-to-date.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to astroAPhi
Florida Tech also has an opening for Director of Greek Life (or whatever it's called), since ours left to go to another school.

TKE Omicron Nu Chapter Sweetheart 2003
Old 07-07-2004, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Akron will also have an opening up shortly. Our Greek Advisor has resigned.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PennyCarter Send a message via Yahoo to PennyCarter
Georgia (UGA) and South Carolina both have good programs. My best friend is starting the one at UGA this fall.

I almost went into that field, but at the last minute chose to get my MBA in marketing instead. I frequently second guess myself, I love Marketing, but I also LOVE student affairs (esp. orientation!). My MBA career advisor said I should be able to get a job in this field with my experience in student life as an undergrad (I was very involved in all areas of student affiars). Does this sound right? I just don't know what to do with my life!!
Old 07-20-2004, 10:23 AM
PoohsHoneyBee

POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT

OFFICE OF STUDENT AFFAIRS

ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF STUDENT ACTIVITIES

OPENING: July 9, 2004 CLOSING: Until Filled

SALARY: Commensurate with qualifications STATUS: Full-time

Grade X-4

JOB DESCRIPTION

The Assistant Director of Student Activities is a member of the Student Affairs professional staff team and works to develop opportunities for student growth and involvement. The position requires the development and implementation of programming that will contribute to the retention and recruitment of students on campus and calls for direct involvement in motivating students to become involved in University activities; coordinating the student leadership programs; co-advising student organizations, the Student Government Association, fraternities, sororities, and the programming board; and coordinating the Mentorship (HOSTS) program. The position works closely with other student affairs and academic departments, directly assists with the recreational sports and orientation programs, assists with the daily administrative operations of the department, and remains abreast of legal issues and programming impacting students. The Assistant Director of Student Activities reports to the Director of Student Unions & Activities.

JOB DUTIES

1. Develop, implement, assess, and maintain a comprehensive student leadership program including creating new student programs, a Women’s Leadership program, an Hispanic Leaders program, and an Advanced Leaders program. Develop a core group of students to proactively gain skills promoting leadership programs. Work collaboratively with campus departments. Coordinate regional student leadership conference efforts. Coordinate Leader Bits, written information on leadership skills.

2. Serve as the University’s Greek Advisor for all Greek letter organizations. Establish and advise IFC and Panhellenic organizations and attend all meetings. Work directly with local chapters and national offices in chapter development including membership recruitment, University image, academic scholarship, service, and philanthropy. Remain abreast of all legal issues. Develop a five-year expansion plan.

3. Serve as primary contact to all student organizations on campus. Coordinate the organization registration process; maintain accurate records and information on all student groups, and host regular information meetings for student organizations. Coordinate advisor training programs and officer training programs. Edit and distribute the organizational manual. Update all organizational policies and procedures.

4. Assist the department with all activities including major programs, student awards, union operations, supervising events, department publications, and department administration. Assist with student orientation operations and recreational sports. Assist with the development and supervision of the activities graduate internship and graduate assistantship programs. Assist with service learning programs and department research and assessment. Develop relationships and joint programs with other university departments. Participate in the Division of Student Affairs meetings and serve on University committees as assigned. Complete administrative tasks including reports, memos, and other correspondence. Complete other duties as assigned by the Director of Student Union & Activities.

5. Develop and coordinate the mentorship program including the recruitment of mentees and mentors and the training of mentors. Maintain contact with all mentors by providing regular newsletters or feedback to participants. Assess the program annually and compile appropriate reports for dissemination.

6. Assist the Dean of Students by co-advising the Student Government Association. Coordinate with the assistance of the SGA Officers, the annual SGA retreat/training. Assist SGA in the development of clear and achievable goal setting and advocacy.

7. Other duties as assigned by the Director of Student Union & Activities.

QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, AND SKILLS: Requires M.S. in Higher Education, Student Personnel/Development, Counseling, Recreation or related area. At least one year experience in campus activities, student unions, or related area required. May include graduate experiences. Must have computer skills, strong verbal & written communication skills. Speak to large groups; conduct training/workshops/seminars. Weekend and evening hours required. Prefer knowledge of Student Development Theory.

The above duties may not be performed in every position with this title and the above functions may not include all related duties that might be performed. Requires physical activities supportive of the above job duties. Reasonable accommodations will be made as necessary.

Applications may be obtained from the Human Resources Office, College Hall, Room 210 and must be submitted on or before closing date to: Texas A&M University-Kingsville, Human Resources Office, MSC 107, Kingsville, Texas 78363 or visit our website at www.tamuk.edu/hr

If you are a male age 18 through 25, you must be properly registered with the Selective Service System to be eligible for hire.

Texas A&M University Kingsville is committed to excellence; the University invites applications from all qualified applicants.

EEO/AA/ADA

Return To Employment Opportunities
Old 06-22-2005, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

There's so many directions you can go in SPHE. I don't know which to pick. I think I do have it narrowed down to student life, res life, students with disabilities, and admissions.

Is anyone working in Residential Life? I read the discription for RLC and RLC assistant yesturday. Sounds interesting to me, but I want to hear how it is from someone who actually works in that field.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?

Last edited by Dionysus; 08-01-2005 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to gpb1874
i work in student activities, not res life. have thought about res life, but don't think i can handle the hours! i tend to enjoy my sleep. for grad programs in texas, check out www.tacuspa.net and click on graduate programs. if anyone wants to talk about this profession just let me know!
Old 06-30-2005, 09:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to KDAngel Send a message via AIM to KDAngel
I would SOOO love to be a Greek Advisor. I'm double majoring in Broadcasting and Psychology right now. I plan on going to grad school for Psych, but I've always considered going for something so that I could be an advisor somewhere. It just sounds like such a neat job. I'd love to goto a campus where greek life is near non-existant and start something up as like an advisor of Student Life or something...
Alpha Rho Chapter at the University of Maryland, PR Adviser: www.umdkappadelta.org
*COUNTRY FIRST* Conservative. Republican. Proud.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hannahgirl
Any idea of some of the best schools around to get a Masters in Higher Ed/Student Affairs/College Student Personnel...etc??

The best one in the VA/NC/DC area that I've heard of is JMU. I'm applying there for next fall. Their CSPA program seems amazing from what I've heard.