GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,044
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, NikiMussen
» Online Users: 1,488
0 members and 1,488 guests
No Members online

Old 06-26-2002, 10:35 AM

When I was looking for my first job out of college, I listed my sorority with my other activities. I mentioned the highest offices I had held, but didn't go on and on about socials etc. I think it took up all of 2 lines.

My current resume does not mention my sorority. I had to prioritize what went on that one page, and I felt it was more important to flesh out my job experience.

Mentioning a GLO can backfire... suppose the recruiter went to a school where your GLO was represented, and either (a) the chapter had a bad reputation, or (b) the recruiter wanted to join that GLO and didn't get in and is bitter... just a thought.
Old 06-26-2002, 01:17 PM

I have my sorority on my resume but that's it. Just the name. A resume should be only one page and if I were to list all the activities I have done then I'd be way over. Plus, unfortunately, some employers do have biases against fraternity/sorority members. My manager said he's laugh when he'd get resumes from people who took up a page by listing everything they had done in their fraternity/sorority. He said he chose to interview me because all I did was just listed Zeta. Then, during the interview, I explained to him exactly what I had accomplished within my sorority.
Old 06-26-2002, 02:20 PM
Banned

advice

I'd just like to add in my own two cents here. I don't believe you shouldn't list your work experience even if it's for another field. I am willing to go as far as to say that is wrong. I base that on advice I have gotten from recruiters, thevault.com, and our career placement office.

The point of a resume is to make you appealing to set skills. For example, if you worked at a hospital doing data entry as part of your work but mainly dealing with patients and giving them food, you provide a spin on that if applying to a more business/office type position...emphasizing that you have computer experience and the ability to communicate and interact well with others.

The best advice is listed at thevault.com and wetfeet.com

- Rudey
Old 06-26-2002, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I think the point was you dont have to list every job you have ever had especially if it is not related in any way to the job you are applying for.

for instance, a guy sent his resume in for a graphic design position. he listed that he worked as a life guard at a country club pool, and a salesman at a clothing store. as an employer thats of no use to me. when i actually called him (I do call everyone who submits a resume) he said he did in fact do some internship work in graphic design...but he since it wasnt a paying job he didnt list it. most companies would have looked at his "job experience" and laughed.

when i applied for the job i have now, i knew i would mostly be working with computers, so i lised only the jobs that included that. i dont think my boss really cared if i worked at movie theater in high school or a bookstore in college.

i think the best advice might not be found at a website...but from people who are actually in the field and are hiring people. advice from places like that should be used as a tool, not the gospel.
Old 06-26-2002, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I think you could list past job experience not related to your field, if that's the only work experience you have, say if you're a freshman or sophomore in college, and have had no interns. i listed DQ and moving office furniture on my first resume. it's better to show that you had a job, even if it wasn't related, showing that you can work with/for people, than for them to think you're just a spoiled lazyass
Old 06-26-2002, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

True, but if you are a freshman or sophmore you probably arent looking for a full time job in a large corporation. I know sometimes people do - but they usually arent able to get the job that they will be qualified to get after graduation being a 1st or 2nd year student.
Old 06-26-2002, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

How about if you're just a college sophomore and want to apply for internships? Can I mention the year-long internship for a law firm I had my senior year of high school?
Old 06-26-2002, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

internships are great
Old 06-26-2002, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok, thanks. I was just wondering, because by the time I apply for internships, the law firm one will have been from three or four years before.
Old 06-26-2002, 05:13 PM

It doesn't matter how long ago you did the internship. What matters is that you did one. And that looks great. In fact, I do not include the dates that I have worked at certain places on my resume. If the company wants that information, I will give it to them. Usually, on an official application, they will ask for that information. I do not put my manager's name and I definitely do not put how much I was paid. I feel that no matter how much you were paid, it will work against you by putting it on your resume. If you were paid $5.15 at the local McDonald's, the employer might think, "Oh, well, I may have paid her $7 per hour but looks like she's willing to work for less." If you put that you had been paid $15 an hour at an internship, the employer may think, "Wow, $15 an hour, I can't affod that. I'm sure that's how much she'll want here. I guess I can't hire her."
Old 06-26-2002, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

What a helpful thread!

Should I apply for 'permanent' positions if I'm only considering working there for, say, six months? if so, should i mention the length of time i intend to stay?
Old 06-27-2002, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Definately tell them how long you are available to work. Permanent usually means long term. Otherwise its not fair to let them spend the time and money on training someone that they think will be there for at least the next few years...but really will stay for a small amount of time.
Old 06-27-2002, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

And what about "Salary History should be included with Application packet".. WTF? How is that handeled. Career svcs on my campus was like duh...... Do you type up something simple on Word and include it, Do you get letters fom former emplyers, HR? I am assuming its the former. Anyone done this??
Old 08-02-2004, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm bumping this thread because we have an entry level opening in our office and I can't believe some of the things I've seen on resumes. (This is directed at recent college grads - someone applying

- Do NOT put your SAT scores on your resume. Potential employers don't care if you got a 1000 or a 1600. (I've seen this on three resumes already!)

- Same thing goes for GPAs in most cases. Put down that you graduated with honors, cum laude or any awards, but if you graduated with a 3.2 we don't care.

- Don't write lengthy paragraphs about your job experiences. Summarize your accomplishments in bullet points.

- Unless you have years and years of experience, keep the resume to one page. If that means cutting your "interests" off your resume, fine. The only things you really need on your resume are experience, skills and education. Only list interests, or activities if you have something particularly interesting or remarkable to talk about.

- Don't feel pressured to include an "awards" section. If you've received several great awards, list them, especially if they're relevant to the position you're applying for. But we don't care that you were "Student of the Year" in eleventh grade or that you won the "Excellence in Music Performance" award in your high school choir. (Both true examples)

- PROOFREAD!
Old 08-02-2004, 10:25 PM
Banned

I'm sorry but for many positions, especially the competitive ones, your SAT/GMAT/LSAT/MCAT/GRE/WHATEVER are a necessity along with your GPA.

You don't suddenly come out of school and nothing you did then matters anymore. Both your school and what you achieved while there are stuck with you forever.

-Rudey

Quote:
Originally posted by seraphimsprite
I'm bumping this thread because we have an entry level opening in our office and I can't believe some of the things I've seen on resumes. (This is directed at recent college grads - someone applying

- Do NOT put your SAT scores on your resume. Potential employers don't care if you got a 1000 or a 1600. (I've seen this on three resumes already!)

- Same thing goes for GPAs in most cases. Put down that you graduated with honors, cum laude or any awards, but if you graduated with a 3.2 we don't care.

- Don't write lengthy paragraphs about your job experiences. Summarize your accomplishments in bullet points.

- Unless you have years and years of experience, keep the resume to one page. If that means cutting your "interests" off your resume, fine. The only things you really need on your resume are experience, skills and education. Only list interests, or activities if you have something particularly interesting or remarkable to talk about.

- Don't feel pressured to include an "awards" section. If you've received several great awards, list them, especially if they're relevant to the position you're applying for. But we don't care that you were "Student of the Year" in eleventh grade or that you won the "Excellence in Music Performance" award in your high school choir. (Both true examples)

- PROOFREAD!