GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,040
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, ausinpetrov7195
» Online Users: 1,229
3 members and 1,226 guests
Phrozen Sands

Old 07-16-2013, 01:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still BLUTANG View Post
MAJOR PET PEEVE: people "endorsing"me for things outside of our relationship. For example, if we know each other through a kickball league, why are you endorsing me for research skills? I've turned off the endorsements from my profile so they no longer show up, but that doesn't stop Linked In from prompting my connections to click something.
I agree, and some of the endorsements I have are REAL endorsements that it would be great for the general public to see, but they are minimized by the people who have never bought travel products and services from me but have endorsed EVERYTHING about me. And anyone who uses LinkedIn knows these endorsements are crap. The problem is they can't see the valid ones lurking within.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:24 AM
GreekChat Member

I believe you can delete a skill/endorsement.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
I believe you can delete a skill/endorsement.
You can. I've done that.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:43 PM

SEO?
Old 07-16-2013, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

search engine optimization - what makes your website pop to the top of a google or bing search.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I use it. I have had several recruiters reach out to me and I have used it to look for new jobs. I do not have a photo of me posted, and I don't believe that has been an issue.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

LinkedIn has really helped in tracking lost brothers. One of our guys from the Northeast just connected with a lawyer from Miami. I recognized the lawyer's name and it turns out that they were both from our house, but their times didn't overlap, so they didn't know they were brothers until this week.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

My school's career services set students up with a free Linked-In account. I don't use it, though. I'm starting to wonder if it is necessary to use now that I see a lot of related stuff about it online, especially since my graduation date is pretty near in the future. I personally don't care for it, though. I don't understand why it's become so difficult to get a job to the point social networking sites are needed... (I do but still.)
Old 08-30-2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiareNoire View Post
My school's career services set students up with a free Linked-In account. I don't use it, though. I'm starting to wonder if it is necessary to use now that I see a lot of related stuff about it online, especially since my graduation date is pretty near in the future. I personally don't care for it, though. I don't understand why it's become so difficult to get a job to the point social networking sites are needed... (I do but still.)
I kind of don't see LI as "social networking." The problem is that all the previous job sites like Monster have been overrun with crappy jobs like selling entertainment books door to door, etc and no one uses them anymore. Honestly, the best place to look these days is probably Craigslist.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I kind of don't see LI as "social networking." The problem is that all the previous job sites like Monster have been overrun with crappy jobs like selling entertainment books door to door, etc and no one uses them anymore. Honestly, the best place to look these days is probably Craigslist.
I understand. I guess it's time I need to start preparing for something. I know what career or general area I'd like to go into so I might always get with the program. I just feel so behind in technology at my age. Well, behind in career stuff, too. I'm going to my career services office soon so that should help!