GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,040
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, ausinpetrov7195

Old 03-06-2010, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

3rd grade on Friday was awesome! I really like the school, I got free Chinese food for lunch, and the kids were great. I also talked to the secretary and got on her sub list. Woo!
Old 03-06-2010, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyKKG View Post
3rd grade on Friday was awesome! I really like the school, I got free Chinese food for lunch, and the kids were great. I also talked to the secretary and got on her sub list. Woo!
Glad you had a good 3rd grade class! lol. This was the first time i've purposedly NOT left my information so I won't be called.

It was a baaad day. The principal, a counselor and 2 teachers were involved, that's all I gotta say! lol
Old 03-06-2010, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epchick View Post
Glad you had a good 3rd grade class! lol. This was the first time i've purposedly NOT left my information so I won't be called.

It was a baaad day. The principal, a counselor and 2 teachers were involved, that's all I gotta say! lol
Wowww that sucks! Sounds insane! Yeah, the day that I was roving, I didn't leave my info for the 4th grade teachers cause a few of his kids were driving me nuts.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Our first show was great! The members really stepped it up in rehearsal and at the show. We know what we need to focus on but we have a good foundation for the rest of the season.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: somewhere in an area where we usually get all four seasons :)
Send a message via AIM to sceniczip
I'm doing my ice breaker with the classes tomorrow We're doing M&Ms and Skittles and each color has two corresponding questions. They'll answer about four-five questions each. We made up the questions and stuff today so I'm excited and slightly nervous. But the kids get free candy and time off class so I'm thinking they'll be happy lol.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:04 AM
GreekChat Member

On Monday and Tuesday, I had 6th and 7th grade science. It went fine, and the second day, we watched a rad movie about dinosaurs! I was honestly super fascinated!

I didn't sub today, but they wanted me to do high school PE. Ummm no thank you! I can't sub tomorrow, but I hope I get something for Friday!
Old 03-11-2010, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

We did our icebreaker this morning. It was fun but I was really nervous for the first time we did it lol. The first period class only has twelve kids. Six are boys and six are girls so it's a nice even split. .They're pretty quiet and reserved. That is my class lol. The other girl's class is 16 boys and 8 girls. It's very, very loud. I'll have problems getting mine to talk and she'll have problems getting hers to shut up lol. Even though we're only teaching one class it was nice to see the differences between the classes. Now I just have to figure out how to teach things like vocab in context, thesis statements, and how to research in a fun way. I want to do a game with the vocab but I only have 10-15 minutes for the lesson. I could go up to 20 if I have to but we'll see. Who knows, maybe someone will have good ideas on here
Old 03-11-2010, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Today was ok. It was only 1/2 day for my old HS English teacher. They had mock testing, so I just sat in the classroom for 3 hours while the students took their science test. And then I got to hear all about the other teacher's lovely ideas of marriage.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:01 AM
GreekChat Member

I just got back from getting ready for a sub. I have a mild case of the flu and would rather be teaching my kids, but I don't want to take a chance of passing my nastiness on to anyone else.

I am exhausted -- I swear it takes just as long to prepare your plans and room for a sub than to actually go in and teach.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Today was mixed. I seriously have to be more mean when I start class! They were taking quizzes all day, and I had a lot of trouble keeping them quiet. BS! The classes after lunch were better, though.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I taught my vocab lesson today. It went okay. I was nervous so I sort of rushed through it but she wasn't too concerned about that. She did say I need to watch how often I say "you guys" since sometimes administrators get upset about stuff like that. I don't even notice I'm saying it so it's definitely something I'm going to have to work on. The kids were pretty good though, they responded well. One I just adore because she helps me out a lot. She always greets me in the morning and tries to answer as many questions as she can for me. I appreciate them not giving me any trouble. Right now I'd like to concentrate on teaching as much as possible and not on classroom management until I have a few more lessons under my belt at least

I'm teaching research topics on Thursday. I'm not really sure what I'm going to do with it yet. They're not allowed to pick certain topics so idk what to do. It's supposed to be persuasive so I think they'll have to do some serious thinking. I was planning on having them think about hobbies or activities they enjoy and then trying to think about any topics in those that could be used in a persuasive research paper. I just don't really know what to do with them for this lol.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I got called for a high school near my house today, and it's going great!

I also figured out I worked 15 days during March. It doesn't sound like that much, but it'll add up on payday! April 10th can't come soon enough.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WinniBug
AUGH!!! One of my classes drives me completely bonkers!! They are completely apathetic! I can't wait for them to graduate and LEAVE!!!
wherever there is fun, there's ALWAYS ALPHA SIGMA!

Old 04-09-2010, 12:51 AM
GreekChat Member

The kinder kids were adorable today, although one little girl I could do without. Once she left, things went MUCH MUCH smoother.

I'm sad I won't be able to sub for them on Thursday like I thought I would be able to.

Sooo...one of my mom's co-workers got a position at another school, and so that leaves her position open. The school district isn't allowing anyone to be hired, but they are accepting long-term subs. I've pretty much been told if I want it, I have it.

8th grade ELAR (English/Language Arts/Reading). Kind of excited about it, kinda not. I'll be teaching, i'll be doing lesson plans, i'll be doing grading. All I know is I get frustrated easily, and middle schoolers will pick up on that and run with it.

Lord help me! lol
Old 04-10-2010, 09:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epchick View Post
The kinder kids were adorable today, although one little girl I could do without. Once she left, things went MUCH MUCH smoother.

I'm sad I won't be able to sub for them on Thursday like I thought I would be able to.

Sooo...one of my mom's co-workers got a position at another school, and so that leaves her position open. The school district isn't allowing anyone to be hired, but they are accepting long-term subs. I've pretty much been told if I want it, I have it.

8th grade ELAR (English/Language Arts/Reading). Kind of excited about it, kinda not. I'll be teaching, i'll be doing lesson plans, i'll be doing grading. All I know is I get frustrated easily, and middle schoolers will pick up on that and run with it.

Lord help me! lol

That's awesome news. 8th grade? I don't envy you at all. It takes a very special person to teach middle school. I think I'll stick to my toddlers