GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls

Old 11-11-2009, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok, I'm glad you think so! I'm only 22, and this is the first time I can think of that I've wanted to seem older than I actually am. I'm kind of worried about the kids not listening to me because of my age. I know there are other things I can do to establish authority (besides what they call me), but it'll be weird being as little as 4-5 years older than my students!
Old 11-11-2009, 11:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
I subbed before I started grad school and I was "Miss BabyPink" unless I thought I'd have a really hard time w/ the class and then I was Ms. but I don't think it made any difference b/c kids don't know the difference anymore for the most part.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyPiNK_FL View Post
I subbed before I started grad school and I was "Miss BabyPink" unless I thought I'd have a really hard time w/ the class and then I was Ms. but I don't think it made any difference b/c kids don't know the difference anymore for the most part.
lmao, I don't even know the difference. I'm Ms. [epchick] to my students, but most just call me 'miss.' I've always been told not to allow them to call me that, but i'm kinda over it. As long as they are listening to me and doing what I ask, I could care less whether they call me miss, Miss/Ms [epchick] or just use Miss A (the first letter of my last name).

Lucy just remember this one thing (cause its the thing i still struggle with)---they WILL disobey you just because you are the sub. A lot of times, they won't listen to you. Don't be afraid to raise your voice, or be stricter than you wanted to be. They will push your buttons (especially the little ones) and they need you to be the disciplinarian/leader. Don't go in there thinking you are gonna be their friend (that was my mistake in the beginning). Once you show them that you mean business, then the friendly/nice person can come out.

I have a list of 7 traps that substitutes fall into, and I can tell you i've probably fallen into 3 of those traps. Now i'm learning how to re-work my strategies to be more effective and give me less anxiety lol.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epchick View Post
Lucy just remember this one thing (cause its the thing i still struggle with)---they WILL disobey you just because you are the sub. A lot of times, they won't listen to you. Don't be afraid to raise your voice, or be stricter than you wanted to be. They will push your buttons (especially the little ones) and they need you to be the disciplinarian/leader. Don't go in there thinking you are gonna be their friend (that was my mistake in the beginning). Once you show them that you mean business, then the friendly/nice person can come out.
Oh, I'm sure! Some kids love to torture subs. Why? They're usually an easier target cause they're in a new situation. I'll put my big girl panties on and show 'em! (So I say now...haha!)
Old 11-12-2009, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyKKG View Post
Oh, I'm sure! Some kids love to torture subs. Why? They're usually an easier target cause they're in a new situation. I'll put my big girl panties on and show 'em! (So I say now...haha!)
Everyone would tell me that kids will misbehave, even the good ones, just because they can, and I would say "well no, cause i'm cool and the kids will like me." Chyeah, right! Some classes are better than others, but i've had to use my 'mean teacher' voice so much that I come home hoarse. lol

One third grader and I almost had a show down, cause he would NOT stop singing the '5 dollar footlong' Subway theme. This was a time I wish we still had spankings in school! lmao
Old 11-13-2009, 03:45 AM
GreekChat Member

I am now officially a sub!!! (I posted a more brief version of this in another thread.) I went to 4 school districts today with mixed results. They were all very nice, but one wouldn't even take my application and said come back in January, one took my application but also said come back in January, and the third let me fill out an application without giving any indication one way or the other.

However...I got hired at one of the districts! I still have one more BIG one (the biggest in the area as well as where I went to school) to apply to once I get my last letter of rec, but I'm super excited about this! There are 4 elementary schools and one middle school in the district. I actually know a brother and sister in this district, so I hope I get to see them!

I could start as early as next week! I got a missed call from someone with a prefix similar to this area when I was at the Sharks game, and I know they wouldn't leave me a message. Could they really need me so soon? Anyway, the sub coordinator said she thought they'd need me for sure before Thanksgiving. I'm excited!!!
Old 11-13-2009, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyKKG View Post
I am now officially a sub!!! (I posted a more brief version of this in another thread.)
CONGRATS!! I would suggest (in case you haven't thought of it yet) to get a good daily agenda/planner and make sure you right EVERY job you have down. I never thought it would be that big a deal, until I realized (today!) that i got jipped money. I had the job # and everything ready to prove I actually worked that day. IDK how your school districts will do it, but make sure you write down everything, cause you never know when you'll need it.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epchick View Post
CONGRATS!! I would suggest (in case you haven't thought of it yet) to get a good daily agenda/planner and make sure you right EVERY job you have down. I never thought it would be that big a deal, until I realized (today!) that i got jipped money. I had the job # and everything ready to prove I actually worked that day. IDK how your school districts will do it, but make sure you write down everything, cause you never know when you'll need it.
Thanks! Yeah, I have a planner and am going to dedicate a notebook or some kind of organizer thing to subbing. I kind of already learned about how they do payroll. I'll make sure to stay on top of it.

It sucks that I'll only get paid monthly because I'm used to other jobs where it's been bi-monthly, but I'll get over it.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: somewhere in an area where we usually get all four seasons :)
Send a message via AIM to sceniczip
Hi, everyone, I'm an Education major (AYA Language Arts) and am working on a project for a class that I could really use some help with, I posted more about it in chit-chat since it seems to get more views over there but thought I'd post on here as well to try and get everyone since I could use the help lol.

As a side note, I'm also in Ohio and am extremely worried about finding a job. I'm trying not to worry too much since I'm still a junior and can't really do anything about it right now. *sigh*
Old 11-23-2009, 06:48 AM
GreekChat Member

You might have to sub to get your foot in the door in Ohio. I don't want to scare you but here was my experience.....3 years subbing, 1 year in a private school, and now this is my second year in public school. But at the same time....I'm elementary....it's really a lot harder for us since our licenses are PK-3 (even though mine is now PK-5 since I went back this summer for the 4/5 endorsement).

There will be a lot of teachers starting to retire very soon with all the changes happening at STRS so you might luck out!
Old 11-24-2009, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I had my first day of subbing yesterday! I had Kindergartners, but luckily, it was in a classroom with another teacher who was amazingly helpful and sweet. I felt like such a spazz sometimes! The teacher I was in for was hope with her sick son, so she came back today. I survived, though!
Old 11-25-2009, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

hope it goes well Lucy! i subbed when i was a soph in college (i was 19) and didn't have too many issues with being young. just go in tough and confident. they (especially hs students) can sense fear and will use that to try to walk alll over you.

i subbed on/off for 4 years. and i'm now in my first year teaching and looove it. haven't had any major issues and i'm only 24 (but look 18) and they call me miss lastname or miss k.

seek the noblest
Old 11-26-2009, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, my last name (it's Norwegian) isn't THAT hard to pronounce, but if you're 5, it's probably pretty confusing. A few said "Miss Lastname," some said "Miss H" after the other teacher said it, and a few just said, "Teacher!" Lol
Old 03-02-2010, 12:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Alright, I was going to make a "Random Teaching" thread, but I'll just use this one instead. I'm finally working for a bigger district which is also where I went to school. I've already gotten more jobs than the other smaller district! I had a half-day of 5th grade last week and a full day of 8th grade PE today. Today went okay! I'd give it a B+. I'm already lined up for high school history on Wednesday. Oh boy!!! I'm so excited that I'm finally getting jobs rolling!
Old 03-06-2010, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I am now working in a part-time job that is gradually leading to full-time hours and pay, but I've been subbing for two school districts since last spring. I've really enjoyed it- the one worst day I ever had was when I subbed for the high school drama teacher. She was sick and had no lesson plans left behind at all, and the class was rather loosely structured anyway. I had to work really hard to keep those kids- especially one class- from getting too rowdy. I'm sure she's a nice lady and a great teacher, but I know *I* won't be subbing for her again!