GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,601
1 members and 1,600 guests
Sen's Revenge

Old 06-26-2007, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Retro on the Rocks with a Twist?

At the risk of certain GCers losing their eyesight to blunt objects, I've decided to tell my story. (Sorry, ladies)

Interest in these Retro Recruitment stories seems to be waning but my story is unlike any we've had so far. And, we've still got some time until the current day stories begin. I'll be adding some features to spruce it up for you. I hope you enjoy it!

I'll wait until honeychile finishes her story before I begin mine. We have a few others going on right now: Buttonz; who's left us wondering if she'll accept her bid to Cream; tld221's hybrid story which is fascinating, GymnastA's Elon story (will it be Barcelona or London?) , and Cutie_Hootie's. But, other than Cutie_Hootie, no one's updating! (hint hint)

You'll hear from me soon!

Old 06-26-2007, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Exciting! I'm completely addicted to these
Old 06-26-2007, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Yesssss someone on GC talking about UMD other than just me! I can't wait to read it!
Old 06-26-2007, 04:44 PM
Banned

I can't speak for anyone else, but my interest is NOT waning. I don't think there's any limit to the number of good rush threads that I would follow. I haven't been posting, but believe me, I've been reading...I'd be embarrassed to say just how religiously I've been reading!
________
Buy glass pipes

Last edited by Low C Sharp; 09-20-2011 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
I'd be embarrassed to say just how religiously I've been reading!
Honey, most of us are that glued to GC as well. No need to be embarassed!
Old 06-26-2007, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Ready whenever you are!
Old 06-26-2007, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Blunt Objects

Irregardless of blunt objects, I can't wait to read all of these retro stories...
maybe it's because I'm RETRO!!!!
Zeta love,

ZTA 72
Old 06-26-2007, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, please spill it! I'd love to hear about a UMD Recruitment!
Old 06-26-2007, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I would LOVE to hear your story!!! These have been so amazing to read--although it's the same process in theory, it's anything but similar in reality!

"...to be womanly always; to be discouraged never..."
Old 06-27-2007, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Hoooray! I wanted to ask you to write yours LeslieAnne but I kept forgetting...hahaha, I must say I have a rather personal interest in it
Old 06-27-2007, 12:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Going by the number of views I would say that the Retro-threads may be among the most popular threads on greekchat . . despite the amount of people posting in them.

I suppose its like watching a TV show where you know the formula and how it has to end but you enjoy the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Anne View Post

Interest in these Retro Recruitment stories seems to be waning but my story is unlike any we've had so far. And, we've still got some time until the current day stories begin. I'll be adding some features to spruce it up for you. I hope you enjoy it!

n!
Old 06-27-2007, 07:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Yay! I have an audience. Thanks everyone! That's exciting....and a bit scary. I've never had my own thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I suppose its like watching a TV show where you know the formula and how it has to end but you enjoy the process.
Exactly. I've been watching Law & Order and its various franchises for, what is it, at least a decade now. It's alway predictable but I still love to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
Yes, please spill it! I'd love to hear about a UMD Recruitment!
Well, okay. I didn't want to interupt your story though. I'll just post my intro for now.

*WARNING*
I tend to be very wordy when I write so if I’m blabbing on and on about something and boring you all to tears don’t hesitate to say, “Hey Leslie! Get to the point already!” I won’t take offense.

Here we go:

For those of you who read JessSigKap’s wonderful story, we’ll be heading back to the University of Maryland but we’ll be going 20 years further back in time to….

(this is where you see the hands of a clock running furiously counter-clockwise)

1984!

Madonna was the newest, biggest thing on the scene. The Cosby Show made its debut. Michael Jackson still looked human. John McEnroe was throwing tantrums and winning Wimbledon. Elton John was still pretending to be straight and married a woman. Reagan was in office. AIDS was discovered in France. Carl Lewis won 4 Olympic gold medals. The Soviet Union still existed. Prince’s “Purple Rain” was topping the charts. Jesse Jackson called New York “Hymietown.” And Bruce Springsteen released “Born in the USA.”

(Not exactly as concise and meaningful as “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times” but at least it sets the stage.)

There were 18 sororities at the University of Maryland at the time. (Since the time of my story five have left and one has arrived on the scene.)

They were:

Alpha Chi Omega
Alpha Delta Pi
Alpha Gamma Delta
Alpha Epsilon Phi
Alpha Omicron Pi
Alpha Phi
Alpha Xi Delta
Delta Delta Delta
Delta Gamma
Delta Phi Epsilon
Gamma Phi Beta
Kappa Alpha Theta
Kappa Delta
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Phi Sigma Sigma
Pi Beta Phi
Sigma Delta Tau
Sigma Kappa

A not-so-brief bit of background on me… (I tried to be brief, but it didn’t work.)

I grew up in Los Angeles. I was a bit of an odd ball in high school. I was in the dance department and rarely showed up for my academic classes. I went to school for the period when I worked in the counselor’s office and for dance rehearsals which often went long into the night. That was just about it. (I honestly don’t know how I managed to graduate!)

Although I had taken my SATs (and done surprisingly well, considering), I hadn’t given any serious thought to going to college. Neither of my parents had gone to college nor had my older brother or sister.

My family is heavily into the arts; both fine arts and performing arts. We had always traveled a lot and saw just about every theatre production possible. So, what I really wanted to do was to move to New York and become a dancer. I had already had a bit of a chance to apprentice with a dance company in California, but a lack of parental guidance left me floundering and the opportunity passed. I also didn’t have vocal training which pretty much ruled out my dream life in Broadway musical comedies. So, what to do?

Well, there was a guy (isn’t there always?) He was the love of my life and we had been dating on and off through high school. He was going to be a sophomore at Princeton. I suddenly began to think that he would never marry me if I wasn’t educated so I decided that I had to give up dancing and go to college. My requirements were:

1) The college obviously had to be fairly easy to get into, considering my GPA (Maryland fit the bill at the time, it wouldn’t now.)

2) It had to be far from Los Angeles. (I desperately needed a change of scenery.)

and

3) If I was going back East, I had to be close to Princeton.

**Here I’ll have to explain a bit about how I plan to tell my story. There are a lot of “characters” involved and a lot of sororities so I’m going to rely heavily on visuals. I love vintage advertising, illustrators, and Alberto Vargas. So all my “characters” will be Vargas Pinup Girls (all fully clothed ) and the sororities….well, let’s say that I’m breaking from the norm. They have code names but they’re based on my first impressions. They’ll also have graphics. Woohoo!

So, here’s me:

Yeah, I know (I wish!). Just play along.

Some friends of my family had a daughter who was going to be a sophomore at the University of Maryland. I talked to her about it, looked into it, it filled all my requirements, I applied, got accepted, and I was ready to go. The daughter became a friend of mine. I’ll call her “Social Butterfly Suzanne”.

I was thrilled to be leaving Los Angeles. The only down side was that I would miss my family and my best friend, Iris, who would be going to UCLA.

So, about a week before Freshman Orientation my mom and I flew out to New York and went on a shopping spree at Bloomingdale’s. I was excited about all the new clothes for my “new life.” Unfortunately, looking back I bought all the wrong things. The clothes were better suited for clubbing in L.A. not going to college on the East coast. I had a copy of the Preppy Handbook. Why didn’t I look at it?!

From New York we took a train down to Maryland and we arrived at the university to find that because I had applied late I didn’t have housing. Wonderful! They were working on it but meanwhile my mom and I stayed in a Motel.

~~~~~~~~

Freshman Orientation is coming up. I promise I'll get to the actual Rush story soon.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to trojangal
I am so looking forward to this retro thread!

Membership in a sorority brings pride and responsibility. Let your actions reflect the same.
CAB, Delta Eta, University of South Florida
Old 06-27-2007, 08:39 AM
GreekChat Member

I love the pictures! I think this one is going to be good!!! Also, it'll be neat to hear another UMD story from 20 years earlier!
Old 06-27-2007, 09:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
The graphics are going to make this story amazing and unforgettable!!

I once had someone tell me that I looked a lot like Betty Paige. Go Figure.