GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,268
3 members and 2,265 guests
Cookiez17, Pinkmagnolia921

Old 04-19-2006, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Mumps across the midwest

Why the heck is this disease making a resurgance? People, both kids and adults, are getting this crap even though they have had the vaccine.

Cripes, I will be PO'd if I get sick.

WTH?

The Mumps Outbreak across the Midwest

http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/14374940.htm
Old 04-19-2006, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
I read this wrong Honeykiss, I thought you wrote Muppets across the Midwest . . which would have been funny.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by James
I read this wrong Honeykiss, I thought you wrote Muppets across the Midwest . . which would have been funny.
ROTFL!!! I'd be PO'd if they came too! Unless it was Beaker. I like skinny, brainy guys that don't say much.

Old 04-19-2006, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

If the muppet show were still on TV, I'd watch it religiously.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-19-2006, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

The Muppets need a comeback. I like the bell hop rats and the cranky old guys in the balcony
Old 04-19-2006, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Optimist Prime
The Muppets need a comeback. I like the bell hop rats and the cranky old guys in the balcony
Statler and Waldorf were HILARIOUS!
Old 04-19-2006, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BetaRose
A lot of parents are choosing to not have their kids vaccinated. I wonder if that is part of the reason that mumps is making a comeback?
I'm not sure. I do know that the CDC tracked it down to two people that infected others on their flight. But as I stated earlier, both kids and adults that have been vaccinated are getting it. It is a virus though and they do mutate so who knows.

Those 2 people have resulted in over 800 cases so far! This is very interesting because it does show how quickly things can spread (thinking in terms of a biological terrorism).
Old 04-19-2006, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

The vaccination is only good for so long; you need a booster every 10-15 years or so to make sure you stay immune.

Most children get the MMR vax before preschool which means they should get a booster before they go to college.

It's also affecting older adults (late 40s on up) who never had the vaccine.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake
If the muppet show were still on TV, I'd watch it religiously.
Ditto
Old 04-19-2006, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ISUKappa
The vaccination is only good for so long; you need a booster every 10-15 years or so to make sure you stay immune.

Most children get the MMR vax before preschool which means they should get a booster before they go to college.

I had to get another MMR recently when I moved to where I am now...

So it sounds like folks vaccines stopped working and mumps has been hanging out forever in that area, but folks just haven't been re-vaccinated...

Also, it is interesting that measles hasn't made a comeback recently either...

And since both mumps, measles, rubella, pertussis and diptheria are DNA viruses (I think?) and the vaccination is against a protein marker that doesn't change, then it would very strange that the virus "mutated" in the sense that vaccine protect because that's not how I was taught how it works...

Now, tuberculosis is different because it's caused by a bacteria that can become antibiotic resistant...

And HIV is different because the proteins on HIV actually do mutate which a vaccine wouldn't work effectively and because HIV is a diploid RNA virus.

And chickpox is an alpha simplex herpesvirus--another RNA virus but it's single stranded--so it's structure doesn't change--that's why a vaccine can be made against that.

Either way, it stresses the importance of getting vaccinated. Because having the actual disease is disabling. And there are always secondary infections that can occur. Think of it this way, if one virus gets in, it opens the door for other infections to get in that you cannot fight off naturally...

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 04-19-2006, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bluefish81
Quote:
Originally posted by ISUKappa

I didn't remember getting a booster before I went to college. When cases started popping up in Dubuque County, IA, my mom reminded both my sister and I that we got boosters before we headed off to school. It's crazy how many cases are out there right now and how much it's spreading.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by James
While I did read it as "mumps across the midwest" it made me think of "hands across america"
Old 04-20-2006, 07:01 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm thinking that some people just don't become immune, in spite of the vaccine. I had my MMRs when I was supposed to, had a booster in high school because they determined that some batch in the late 60's wasn't good. When I started my last job, they titred us to see if we had immunity to all 3 parts of the MMR. I didn't titre as immune to the Rubeola, so they made me get it again. I told my doc and she ran another test and I still wasn't testing as immune from it. <shrug> Apparently that part didn't work on me, and probably never will.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AGDee
I'm thinking that some people just don't become immune, in spite of the vaccine. I had my MMRs when I was supposed to, had a booster in high school because they determined that some batch in the late 60's wasn't good. When I started my last job, they titred us to see if we had immunity to all 3 parts of the MMR. I didn't titre as immune to the Rubeola, so they made me get it again. I told my doc and she ran another test and I still wasn't testing as immune from it. <shrug> Apparently that part didn't work on me, and probably never will.
This is probably true. It could also mean that even though you're not totally immune, if you get sick, your reaction would be much less than someone who was never vaccinated. It would be more like a cold than a full-out case of Mumps or Rubella or whathaveyou.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow I didn't know there is a resurgence of cases of mumps either - I have had a student miss a week of school because she has it!