GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,277
1 members and 1,276 guests
acg233

Old 06-22-2012, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
I'm a bit disappointed that we got the first recruitment story but not the second! I like your writing and outlook. What can I do to convince you to write up the second go around at the new school?

congrats on finding your super fabulous home, by the way

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06

Last edited by sigmagirl2000; 06-23-2012 at 09:53 AM. Reason: letting meow out of bag!
Old 06-22-2012, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmagirl2000 View Post
I'm a bit disappointed that we got the first recruitment story but not the second! I like your writing and outlook. What can I do to convince you to write up the second go around at the new school?

congrats on AGD by the way
Agree!! OP do you mean that your mother is also an AGD? And, HOORAY...for loving your new school, for feeling like you were at home, and for loving your sorority!
Old 06-22-2012, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmagirl2000 View Post

congrats on AGD by the way

I can absolutely write up the second recruitment! I'm in bed sick today so I will do that. Just pretend you don't know the ending?!
Old 06-22-2012, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats! That's awesome. So glad you found your home.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

yay! well we won't know which state is which house.... if we didn't pay really really close attention to the first go around . Sorry you're sick in bed. Hope you feel better and thanks for writing it all up! And not dragging it all out forever.

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 06-22-2012, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't wait, I can't wait. I can't wait.

Last edited by MaryPoppins; 06-23-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Open House, take 2

There are 17 chapters at my new school and I will identify them as cities!
(Sorry for kind of spoiling the story already! Hopefully it is still worth the read!)

My Rho Chi was really supportive of me throughout this process. She was definitely the best person for the job! My group as a whole was really upbeat and fun, which made the early mornings much happier. Recruitment was Open House (17), House Tours (up to 12), Skit (up to 6), and Pref (up to 3).

Like the first time, Round One happened over two days.

New York: What a way to start the morning! Two seconds into their first door song and I felt like somebody had just hooked me up to a coffee IV! It was really exciting and very different than the songs at my first school. The girl who greeted me was very poised and kind. The whole machine was very well oiled, but it felt almost too rehearsed for my taste.
Atlanta: These girls had a really cool, sporty vibe about them {It is actually the same sorority as the sporty-feeling Ohio from the first recruitment!} which I definitely gravitated towards. I felt like I fit pretty well here and definitely wanted to come back for the following round.
Chicago: These girls reminded me a lot of KANSAS from my first experience. (I didn't color code them on purpose! But that is funny to me!) They seemed to think really highly of themselves and didn't act interested in me at all. The primary active who spoke with me made it seem like talking to me was a chore. It was quite a contrast coming from Atlanta
LA: These girls seemed a little forgettable to me. They were all nice, polite, attractive, but all of my conversations felt sterile and robotic. I wasn't sure if I wanted to go back or not...
Dallas: They had a really funny door song. It had a great young feeling and showed us their personality right away. I was kind of let down when the active who greeted me didn't seem to have the same pizzaz, but she was very nice. One of the other actives I met pledged here after transferring in, so that was certainly comforting.
Columbus: Again, really cute door songs. The ladies here seemed really nice and sweet but I didn't have any great connections with the actives. One of the girls I moved in with is a Columbus, so I was particularly interested in seeing them again as I really liked my housemate.
Vegas: I instantly loved this house. The girl who greeted me was just so cool. She was kind of earthy and outdoorsy, but still ladylike. It was an intoxicating vibe, and I was drinking it in. Loved it. I missed them as soon as I left.
Boston:These girls were very peppy. Everybody was gleaming from the second the doors opened. I didn't know exactly what to think of it to be honest. I had unique conversations with all of the actives I met, which I considered to be a plus. I left liking them, but not feeling like they were what was missing from my life or anything.
Charlotte: The songs here were kind of dull compared to many of the others. They were sweet-- just not exciting. And by this point in the day, I needed a little excitement to keep me rolling! The girl who greeted me was the nicest person I had met so far during rush. She was so personable and fun to be around. It was really sad to be bumped to other actives-- I just wanted to stay with her! But the other girls were also very nice. I definitely wanted to go back to this house.
Baltimore: I had a 50/50 experience here. I only talked with two girls. The first was fantastic: funny, warm, and personable. The second... not so much. She was very hoochy looking (not the most important thing, but it does give off a vibe) and just did not seem happy to be there at all. I wondered which sister was a more accurate portrayal of the house dynamic? I wanted to go back and find out!
Memphis: The girls here reminded me a lot of Charlotte. They were very sweet and personable, but not as exciting to talk with as at Charlotte. I did like the vibe of this chapter a lot and thought it could definitely work for me.
Seattle: I feel weird saying this but here it goes-- The Jewish Sorority. I didn't realize how stringent they were about it beforehand (other chapters aren't really dead set on that anymore...) But the girl who greeted me point blank asked, "You're not Jewish, are you?" I said, "No I'm not." And she said, "Oh." They had really catchy door songs.
Denver: I got the sense that they were definitely a party sorority from the content of their door songs. The girls who rushed me were really nice and seemed down to earth. I liked them quite a bit but was kind of concerned about how truthful the songs could be.
DC: I just didn't fit here at all. It was like walking into the land of perfect barbie looking women... If there was a fly on the wall, it would have laughed at how out of place I looked. I'm a down to earth, sporty-preppy, girl next door type... I got the sense that if I were a member here I could kiss my makeup free and natural hair days goodbye.
Tucson: I had a really positive experience here. The girls were all so welcoming and they actually have an upperclassman member from a rival high school of mine. This house boasts a lot of cheerleaders/ dance team members and seemed to have a showy vibe.. But I figured so long as I liked the girls, a little glitter never hurt anybody!
Omaha: This was a really down to earth house. I liked them very much-- collectively they reminded me a lot of home and my little sister. They definitely earned a soft spot in my heart.
Wichita: I did not care for my experience here. It was like a pageant. Every girl just seemed way too processed for my taste and acted completely manufactured. I kept on a happy face and chatted my little heart out, but the chemistry was definitely not there for me.

My rankings ended up as:

(The top section isn't in a perfect ranking order... there were so many that at the time I just made sure they were in the general placement within the 'I'd like to keep these," section.)

Vegas
Atlanta
Charlotte
Omaha
Tucson
Columbus
Denver
Memphis
LA
New York
Boston
Baltimore

The houses I wished to drop were:

Dallas
Chicago
DC
Wichita
Seattle
Old 06-22-2012, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Ooh lagniappe.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaB View Post
The GLO director apologized profusely but said that nothing could be done at this point because no houses were eligible to take any more NMs.
Bull Shit. (To the GLO director, not to you)

In this sort of case, I don't think any sorority chapter or their HQ would have had any problem with one of the chapters you went to offering you a bid and going over quota/total.

ETA:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaB View Post
The GLO director was actually *removed* from his position at the end of the semester. I was really disappointed by how he handled the entire situation. I'm sure the other PNMs were, too.
Hopefully that will be his LAST Greek Life position. I'm sorry, he's new or he's a guy doesn't cut it. A screwup like this, you FIX IT, not just say "oh, that's not in my rule book, so sad too bad" and move on. That's so totally unacceptable. Things worked out ultimately for ElizaB, but what about those 6 other girls?

Last edited by 33girl; 06-22-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

House Tours

I was pretty nervous going into House Tours. I finally caught wind of the tent talk and had a private laugh about all of that. One PNM said she made sure to look at the active's jewelry...If most of them were not wearing Yurman then she wasn't interested. Yep. That happened. She ended up in a Yurman wearing house and seems to like it, so good for her.

I was kind of proud to find that I had a full list of parties for the day and got to keep most of my top half. My schedule was:

Dallas: They girls were very nice but there was just an uncomfortable feeling at this house. It was like the sisters were not comfortable in their own skin or something. I wouldn't rule them out or anything, but I didn't feel at home.

LA: Their home was beautiful. I really liked one of the girls who rushed me. She was very bubbly but not at all ditzy. She was very enjoyable to speak with. The other two actives were not as memorable to me. They kind of had plain personalities and did not make an effort to get to know me like the first had.

Boston: I adored the primary girl who rushed me. (I met and briefly chatted with others, but was with this girl the entire time.) She had such a wonderful energy about her! We looked through a sisterhood scrapbook and she told me about some of her favorite Boston activities. I definitely bumped this house up several notches after our talk.

Atlanta: Again, I was paired with a primary active and just met a few others along the way. My primary was really cool. She plays soccer and had a very down to earth way to her. Their house had some unique features to it which I found interesting. This sorority was definitely a contender for me.

Columbus: I was greeted by a really sweet vocal performance major, which I appreciated because I love to sing and a lot of my activities involve singing. We hit it off pretty well but it felt like more of a business relationship than a sisterly relationship. The exterior of this house is very cool. I was kind of lukewarm on this group as a whole.

Vegas: I was thrilled to be invited back to this house. They are regarded by PNMs (silly tent talk) as one of the most desired houses at this school. It seemed kind of funny to me because this house was so chill and comfortable seeming and so many of the PNMs gunning for them were completely plastic. Anyway, I had an okay time here. I only talked to one sister and she was just kind of fine. She was nice and cute, but we didn't click or anything. I really wanted to come back because I had such a strong impression of them the day before.

Charlotte: I was so happy to be back at this house. Architecturally this house is breathtaking. The group as a whole seemed more exciting today (song wise and just general vibe). The girl I loved so much on the first day made sure to come over and see me for a minute, which I really appreciated. It was really nice to feel memorable and wanted. The actives who rushed me were very fun and personable. I felt that I fit well here.

Tucson: Everything was fine at this house. The first girl I spoke with talked about their philanthropy a bit, which I really liked. She seemed like a driven individual. The other girls I talked to didn't stand out to me very much. One of them was actually kind of snotty to me. I left with mixed reviews.

Denver: Instead of door songs, when we got to this house they had music playing. It was a cool change of pace, but it made the round feel like a big party. I think that is probably what they were going for... I was toured by a girl who talked about drinking and when we went into rooms and I looked at photos, most of them had stickers or sharpie over the hands to cover drinks and stuff. It was a turnoff to me.

Memphis: The girls I talked with here came out of their shell more than the ones during Open House. I liked them better today but it still wasn't as natural feeling for me as some of the other dynamics.

Baltimore: The girls here were really fun and interested in me, which I liked. But when I looked through their pictures, a ton of them were sticker-censored, too! It is just not the kind of house I would fit in at... I didn't know how to feel about this house when I left. I really liked the girls, but I didn't care for the message they were sending.

Omaha: I had a blast chatting with these girls. They seemed so much like me personality wise and I had a really great time seeing them let their guard down a bit more.

I had to hash my rankings out with my Rho Chi. I ended up with:

Atlanta
Charlotte
Omaha
Vegas
Boston
LA

My bottom half was really hard for me to establish and rank. I struggled with LA, Memphis, and Columbus a lot. I wished to drop

Memphis
Columbus
Tuscon
Dallas
Baltimore
Denver

Last edited by ElizaB; 06-22-2012 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Forgot one!
Old 06-22-2012, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Skit

The cuts before skit were supposed to be massive and a lot of girls did not have anywhere near a full schedule. I was fortunate enough to have a full schedule, although I did lose one of my favorites. I was really happy with my schedule all around.

Charlotte: I was so happy to be back at this house considering how well everything had been going with them. I was honestly kind of bored by their skit... I didn't have any frame of reference, but it seemed a little disjointed. Their philanthropy video was spectacular. I really clicked with the girls who rushed me and even got the chance to chat with a few PNMs (I'm very close with one of them still!) The skit itself didn't hold a lot of value to me, and I liked this sorority a lot.

Atlanta: Their skit was really sweet, mostly because it is rooted in tradition. I'm a sucker for that kind of sentiment! I only talked with one girl here and she was fairly blank. I kept trying to excite a conversation and she seemed to counter that by being very one note.

Dallas: This skit was so uncomfortable and it seemed to last forever. The girl who was rushing me seemed to really like me, and she was very nice, but I was not feeling the chemistry on my end.

Omaha: I was in stitches throughout this entire skit. It was really well done and actually involved a bit of improv. The sister I chatted with after the fact said that it isn't ever the same skit twice, so they are always as entertained as we are. The skit at this house actually made a great impression on me. It showed how goofy this group could be. I like goofy. It works for me.

Memphis: I honestly was fighting off sleep during this skit. I feel badly saying that, but it is factual. I was so underwhelmed by everything about Memphis... The skit was bland, the girls who I spoke with were bland. It all ran together in a dreary mess.

Boston: Their skit was impeccable. They must have worked out all the kinks by the time I got there. It was flawless and SO funny. One of the girls who I talked with afterwards was actually featured in the skit. I really hit it off with her and could see her as my sister. Coupled with my experience the day before, this house was tough to beat.

This was another tough rank. I went with my gut:

Boston
Charlotte
Atlanta

I wished to drop:

Omaha
Memphis
Dallas
Old 06-22-2012, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Pref! This time for real!!

I was happy and sad when I got my schedule. I had lost Atlanta, Omaha, andMemphis. But I was left with a full schedule!

Dallas: The ceremony here was very touching. I had developed a great connection with the girl who preffed me. I think I finally had an 'aha' moment with this house... They had a really strong sisterhood. I admired that and was seeking that, but it still didn't seem like a natural fit for me.

Charlotte: Their ceremony was not particularly moving or personal. I wished it could have touched on that a bit... But I did have a great chance to talk with the active preffing me. She summed up what Charlotte meant to her, and meant to her sisters. I really liked what she said. It resonated with me and made that house feel like home.

Boston: The pref ceremony here was a bit too personal for me... It was kind of uncomfortable. A handful of sisters got up and spoke of really dramatic and tragic events and how their sisters in Boston helped them through. It was very nice and supportive, but it wasn't comfortable. I was preffed by the active I met after the skit yesterday. We still meshed really well together but I wasn't sure about the dynamic of the house as a whole anymore.

When I did my rankings, I thought about how each house had seemed throughout the entire process. Boston made a great jump towards the end, but they seemed fake in the beginning and I didn't feel at home during their ceremony. Dallas by far boasted my favorite and most meaningful ceremony, but never felt like a natural fit. Charlotte had been a pretty steady top pick, but was kind of lackluster at times.

I arrived at the following:

Charlotte
Boston
Dallas
Old 06-22-2012, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Bid Day!!!

I was so excited for bid day. I didn't get any sad phone calls which meant THIS TIME I was receiving a bid. I was ecstatic and could not wait to meet my new PC and get to know the older girls.

After our Rho Chi reveal, we were presented with our bids.

I was SO ecstatic to receive a bid from CHARLOTTE!! My top choice house!

I am thrilled to share that I am

an Alpha Gamma Delta !!

Last edited by ElizaB; 06-22-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

will you tell us if AGD was Charlotte, Boston, or Dallas?

I've loved reading both of your recruitment stories today!
Old 06-22-2012, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats (again) on AGD! Thanks so much for your second story as well. Your positive attitude served you well (as is evident by full schedules at both recruitments. It's a shame that there was the mixup the first time around, I'm sure you would have been happy in several of those houses had everything worked out. However, it looks like things worked out better for you in the end both with recruitment and how you feel about your campus. Keep smiling and thanks again for your story!