GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 307,854
Threads: 114,781
Welcome to our newest member, milespitt5202
» Online Users: 243
0 members and 243 guests
No Members online

Old 10-09-2001, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Airport Security or lack of thereof

I didn't think much of this when it happened but its a scary scenario:

Three friends and I flew back from Phoenix to Arizona in the middle of August. Earler that week,w e had road tripped to Los Angeles, so we had some crackers and cheese and a 5-inch kitchen knife to cut it up. One of my firends had the knife, put back in the packaging, in her carry on as we made it to our flight gate. When we entered the security checkpoint, the attendent saw the knife go through and stopped my friend. After we explained what it was, the security guard said something to the effect of "Okay, I will let you girls go with it, but it is awfully close to standards of knives that we cannot permit on planes." He let us carry it through and have it in our carry on. We just laughed off the notion that he was so anal about it.

I am not lauging anymore.

Anyone else see up front lacks in airport security?
Old 10-09-2001, 10:55 PM

Lack thereof is right!

No, I am not laughing either, especially since I am flying tomorrow, on a long haul. I re-read your post and saw that this took place in August.

If this happened yesterday, these would have been my thoughts:
I am sure that you and your friends are "good people", but the security guard used bad judgement in "making an exception"...he should have taken the knife from your friend (sorry.... It's not personal) , because say your friend took it out while the plane was inflight? The knife could have been wrested from your friend by some lunatic on the plane, used it against you guys and then who knows what could have happened?

When I fly tomorrow, I will let you know if there is a knife on my meal tray or not....so much for "security".

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 10-09-2001 at 10:59 PM.
Old 10-10-2001, 12:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SigmaChiCard Send a message via Skype™ to SigmaChiCard
i don't know which airport this was at, but on Sept 12th a man got onto his plane (he was a cop, I believe) with his gun. It was an accident so he calmly told the attendents that he was a cop with a gun, and wasn't a terrorist, but was of course detained and questioned. Also that day another man got on with a couple of knives just to prove he could do it, he, however, was arrested, then released later that day.

Visit: BackSeat SandBar & MySpace
Old 10-10-2001, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Does the fact that people are trying to carry these weapons on "just to see if they could get away with it" bother anyone else? It bothers me a lot.
Old 10-10-2001, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
I flew Washington National home to LAX in August.
I got to the airport an hour before my flight, only to find they'd cancelled it and put me on a different flight that was leaving in 6 minutes.

They rushed me thru security with my huge suitcase--and nothing, not my suitcase, not my purse, not my computer case went thru the xray. They just ran me to the gate, checked my suitcase at the gate and put me on the plane.

Ok granted, I am sure I didn't look like a threat, but how could they tell by that?

I fly LAX to Washington Dulles on American in a few weeks. Given all the lunacy that's gone on on American flights out of LAX the past few days, I am a bit nervous.
Old 10-10-2001, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTAMich
I just flew over the weekend from Pa to Detriot-Metro and then to Orlando Int. Secruity even at the dinky local airport by my school was tight. The older people at the checkpoint looked through my bag etc. Coming back yesterday, I was truly frightened so much so I got sick in the airport bathroom which btw is as wonderful as it sounds. Honestly tho I know security was really tight there tho. 4 guards at the checkpoint and a bunch of uniformed police officers around too. People with bottles of water, juice etc had to take a sip of it to show that it wasn't harmful, which is too freaky for me.
On the subject of knives..the Cinnabon in Detroit where I had my dinner (yes DINNER!!) does not have knives anymore bc of secruity reasons which I thought was a bit excessive but I suppose every precaution is there for a reason.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

It's been interesting to go back to GC's past and read posts from the 9/11 era. It's been nearly 11 years and I can't seem to even remember a time when airport security wasn't as tight as it is now.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I do. I also remember the Cinnabon at Detroit Metro Airport and every time I fly, I am sad that it isn't there anymore. I'm flying Wednesday and I'm sad that I can't get Cinnabon before my flight *sigh*
Old 07-16-2012, 11:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I have pepper spray on my keychain, but it's the "pepperface" type that kinda looks like a flashlight. I'd guess it has traveled in my carry-on for close to 100 flights.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

I've flown 5 times in a row with a five ounce tube of sunscreen in my purse over the last month without TSA blinking an eye. I also went to Cali and back with a stainless dinner fork that I forgot to take out of my purse from lunch this past weekend. That may be okay, though.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 07-17-2012, 01:12 AM
GreekChat Member

I always travel with scissors. I forgot one time that I had them in my makeup bag, but I made it to my destination and back with them in my carry-on. I've taken them with me every time I've flown since... and that's been A LOT over the last 2 years between work and vacations.

About 2 years ago, one of my friends, without realizing it, had a huge pocket knife at the bottom of his carry-on. He noticed it when he started unpacking in Boston, but he then made it back to Minnesota with it in the same spot he found it.

Another interesting thing - taking pictures. About a year and a half ago, I was at the Newark airport, and my brother was returning home from Hawaii where he's stationed in the Army, and while my parents and I were waiting, my stepdad took out his camera to look at pictures he had taken earlier in the day. As a TSA agent noticed the camera, my stepdad accidentally took a picture of the ground. The agent walked over and forced him to find the picture, delete it, and go through all of the other pictures he had in his camera. The problem - we were standing near the security checkpoint. They didn't want anyone documenting security equipment and procedures.

However, a year after that I was in another airport (I believe it was Atlanta?), and I had just gone through security. As I came out the other side and was putting on my shoes, I saw a guy, dressed in a suit, with only a laptop bag, taking pictures (with a professional camera) of the security checkpoint. There were plenty of TSA agents standing around. Experiencing what I had a year earlier, I made it a point to say something to one of the agents about it. They basically shrugged it off and continued what they were doing. The guy eventually stopped taking pictures and just walked off toward the gates.

Security is obviously a lot tighter than it was 11+ years ago, but there are still a lot of things that are missed. It's tough to catch everything. In addition, you're relying on people for the most part. And as we all know, people aren't perfect.

But I also think that there are things that are missed over and over (like my scissors), and in that case, something should try to be done about it.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 07-17-2012 at 01:14 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:58 AM
GreekChat Member

I have a keychain/nailclipper/jackknife thing that I carry in my purse most of the time and I forgot to take it out of my purse once when flying. It also made it through accidentally, recently.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

In April 2011, my significant other and I were returning from a cruise, flying through the Tampa airport. When we were waiting in line to go through security (bag check/metal detector), a security agent was also using some sort of powder and brush on everyone's hands (even children). We asked what it was for, but of course he didn't give out much information. That was the first (and only) time we'd seen that done.

That night, we were home watching TV, and the news broke that Osama Bin Laden had been captured and killed by the US. Obviously, we have no idea if there was any connection between that and the extra security measure at the airport, but it did seem to be a pretty strange coincidence.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I was flying through Pittsburgh about five years ago with my ballet company. I had forgotten about a water bottle that was in my backpack. When looking at the backpack there is a small frontpocket, a middle pocket and a larger main pocket all in a row. The water bottle was in the middle pocket. The TSA agent pulled the bag off to find it and only looked in the front pocket. After a couple minutes I said that it was a water bottle in the second pocket, but he refused to believe me and said the machine showed whatever object was in the front. He eventually let me through without ever finding the water bottle.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 07-17-2012, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi-o_cat View Post
In April 2011, my significant other and I were returning from a cruise, flying through the Tampa airport. When we were waiting in line to go through security (bag check/metal detector), a security agent was also using some sort of powder and brush on everyone's hands (even children). We asked what it was for, but of course he didn't give out much information. That was the first (and only) time we'd seen that done.

That night, we were home watching TV, and the news broke that Osama Bin Laden had been captured and killed by the US. Obviously, we have no idea if there was any connection between that and the extra security measure at the airport, but it did seem to be a pretty strange coincidence.
I've actually had the hand/powder/wipe thing done 3 times over the last year or so (lucky me!). I'm still not sure what it does exactly, but someone told me it's to detect any explosive material on your hands.

if that's the case, it makes sense that they'd do it to nearly everyone around the time that Bin Laden was killed. It definitely still happens now, just not as frequently as it may have at that time.

@~/~~~~