GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,437
1 members and 1,436 guests
Kevin

Old 10-12-2009, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

so confused about this...help!

alright so I'm a freshman who didn't rush at Alabama. Well I realized I wanna be in a sorority, and called the greek office and said if there was going to be any COB that I would be interested. Every chapter at bama made quota so I figured this wouldn't happen.

Well, they called me about a week ago and told me AOII would be having an informal recruitment in the spring. but...they made quota....

so heres my dilemna, the AOIIs I know are sweet girls, fun, and I would have no problem hanging out with. just not sure if its the right sorority for me completely. Well I was thinking maybe it wouldn't hurt to atleast try. My question is if I'm not sure its the right sorority for me should I go through with it? or should I wait till fall? Also, if they give me a bid and I don't accept it, can I still rush in the fall?

heres the second part of my question. everyone has been telling me rushing in the fall as a sophomore is not bad and its worth doing. but...my fear is I will only be exposed to my pledge class, who would be almost all freshman. all the swaps are for freshman, and i would perfer to make friends in my own grade. so is it likely as a sophomore pledge I can become close to the sophomore actives?

thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-12-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjen View Post
alright so I'm a freshman who didn't rush at Alabama. Well I realized I wanna be in a sorority, and called the greek office and said if there was going to be any COB that I would be interested. Every chapter at bama made quota so I figured this wouldn't happen.

Well, they called me about a week ago and told me AOII would be having an informal recruitment in the spring. but...they made quota....

so heres my dilemna, the AOIIs I know are sweet girls, fun, and I would have no problem hanging out with. just not sure if its the right sorority for me completely. Well I was thinking maybe it wouldn't hurt to atleast try. My question is if I'm not sure its the right sorority for me should I go through with it? or should I wait till fall? Also, if they give me a bid and I don't accept it, can I still rush in the fall?

heres the second part of my question. everyone has been telling me rushing in the fall as a sophomore is not bad and its worth doing. but...my fear is I will only be exposed to my pledge class, who would be almost all freshman. all the swaps are for freshman, and i would perfer to make friends in my own grade. so is it likely as a sophomore pledge I can become close to the sophomore actives?

thanks!

As far as AOII, have you been through informal with them? If not, you don't even know if you'll get a bid.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong:

You are only bound to them if you ACCEPT a bid and depledge.

If you like them and feel that you enjoy hanging out with them, then I would suggest accepting, but if you don't feel that way, then don't. Keep in mind that you could go through formal and not receive a bid. Would you regret not taking it if given to you?

About your 2nd question: Just because your NM class is mostly freshmen doesn't mean you can't meet and become close to other sophomores. I'm assuming that chapters that large have plenty of events for new members to meet girls in all classes.

But really, just wait and see what happens.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 10-12-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

thanks!
I have relatives in AOII at UA. That being said I'm not biased when I say from my exposure to them they seem pretty nice, pretty fun, and pretty well rounded when it comes to the make up of their members. These are questions you should ask the Greek Life office to make SURE that you know the rules at Alabama. But generally speaking as long as you don't accept a bid you are eligible for the next recruitment in the fall. If you do accept the bid you'll be unable to accept a bid from another sorority for a year. Spend the rest of this semester getting as much hang out time with AOII's you know as possible (without sounding desperate and without hounding them) and you'll have a better idea of what you want to do in the spring. Also talk to sorority women you know on campus, preferably in different sororities, and ask their honest opinion on what it's like to rush as a sophomore. I don't see why you couldn't be friends with people your own age, and there might even be other sophomores in your potential pledge class, but you will have to spend a lot of time with a lot of freshmen. If you think that'll irritate you, it's something to think about seriously.

Also, keep in mind there's a possibility you won't get a bid from AOII and that you won't get a bid if you go through recruitment in the fall. That's the ugly truth. So don't spend so much time worrying about it now. Cross the bridges when you come to them.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

You have several questions so I'm just going to address them one by one....

Quote:

This isn't really an answer to a question - it's a statement that just because a group made quota does not mean they won't be participating in COR.

In this case, one group made quota which is awesome! They might be a few spots off to reach the campus total and that is why they are allowed to do COR and other groups who made quota during FR aren't participating in COR.

Quote:
so heres my dilemna, the AOIIs I know are sweet girls, fun, and I would have no problem hanging out with. just not sure if its the right sorority for me completely. Well I was thinking maybe it wouldn't hurt to atleast try. My question is (1) if I'm not sure its the right sorority for me should I go through with it? (2)or should I wait till fall? (3)Also, if they give me a bid and I don't accept it, can I still rush in the fall?
(1)- How will you know if they are/aren't a good match if you don't go there to meet them and try to find out?

(2)- If you wait until the Fall, you will have the benefit of meeting all of the different sororities on your campus. Keep in mind that is about a year away. There is nothing wrong with waiting if that is what you want to do, but rush @ Alabama is very competitive, and while some upperclassmen get bids, it's my general understanding that the chances are slimmer.

(3) - If you are extended a bid and you don't accept it, you are eligible for Fall rush. If you do accept it, and drop out, I believe you have to wait a calendar year in order to be eligible to receive a bid.

Quote:

thanks!
I don't think you should be overly worried about being friends with people in your own grade level. In my chapter, people were close all across the board -- there were some freshmen who really got along with juniors, and seniors with sophomores, etc. It's not like you're not allowed to talk to your sisters outside your grade level or you're not allowed to have stuff in common with people a year or two older or younger than you
Old 10-12-2009, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I am not disputing what the greek life office told you, but AOII was 50 over total after recruitment, so I am wondering how they can have informal recruitment. Someone in the know may have more information though. If they are holding COB, they are a very involved, diverse and strong chapter and I think you would be happy with them.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:35 PM

all the swaps are for freshmen? WTF??