GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,114
0 members and 1,114 guests
No Members online

Old 11-14-2002, 05:59 AM
GreekChat Member

I wonder if the KKG HQ has considered the fallout (if there would be any) from the exclusion of their forum and their members posting. Many young women have no idea WHAT a KKG, AXO, DG etc. is. GC could be the first introduction to their org. Now this is the double edged sword-if they, newbies, come across a post that is "offensive", are they likely to be turned off to the entire group? Doubtful, because we ALL know how difficult it can be to keep those darn Greek letters straight. It could take weeks or months for a young person to assimilate all the posters into their respective GLOs. Those that ARE savvy to the Greek system wouldn't be influenced one way or another by an errant post! HOWEVER, if an entire group loses their visibility
I could see a newbie thinking, "I've never heard of them." or "Gee, aren't there ANY KKG around?" In the mind of a teenage girl, this lack of visibility could be construed as weakness.

When I first started frequenting GC I honestly thought "Damn, sure are a TON of XOs!!! Must be a pretty strong group!"
I think the greater harm to KKG would be their absence as opposed to a couple of individual posts amongst THOUSANDS!
Old 11-14-2002, 11:02 AM
GreekChat Member

A positive approach to every problem

Fellow GC'ers.

I don't represent Kappa HQs, but I am a KKG alumna. To be devil's advocate here, I think HQ may have a valid point.

While yes, I think 99% of the time you can trust the members of your organization to represent you well on a board, it is much easier to prevent than to "undo."

Kappa (like many GLOs) has been battling bad press for some time now. Hazing incidents, unflattering pictures, and the usual alcohol issues are all making far more news in the media and online than do positive press about the organization. While I think GC is an generally a positive community for greek life, we are all human, and sometimes we post things that reflect poorly on the organizations we are affiliated with.

While I am vigorously pro freedom of speech, there is a reality of greek affiliation. When you join Kappa (or any GLO) you are no longer just "Jane Doe", you are "Jane Doe, Kappa". Kappa wasn't founded so we could all get drunk and party. It was founded on high ideals and the notion that as Kappas we would represent a group of women with high ideals and positive ethical standards.

Is the solution to preserving the image and ideals of the organization to ban members from GC? Maybe not. Perhaps the solution is to provide a Kappa-only chat on the HW's website that can be a safe forum to be uncensored. Maybe it is to educate the HQ web team about GC. There are other solutions, I am certain.

But before anyone thinks of dis-association or other such drastic tactics, remember that HQ isn't trying to be evil or control your thoughts and words, just trying to preserve 132 years of outstanding sisterhood. The solution here is to start a dialog with headquarters that leads to a productive solution we can all live with. Let's be proactive rather than reactive!

Loyally,
Paula

Kappa Kappa Gamma
Delta Xi - Carnegie Mellon
Old 11-14-2002, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

This is interesting, I wonder who is next?
Old 11-15-2002, 08:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation WAIT JUST A MINUTE

I've been traveling for work for 2 weeks, and so I haven't been able to keep up with GreekChat, and I come back to CHAOS on my board!

First of all, while I mean NO disrespect to "KappaKittyCat," may I remind you all that:
(1) She is ONE member of an enormous organization, and that
(2) I am the moderator of this board, a long-time advisor

Does it not occur to anyone that if all of this were REALLY "mandated" by KKG HQ that I would not have at least been NOTIFIED by HQ as moderator?

If HQ was truly as "hot and bothered" about GC as everyone seems to think they are, they certainly would have contacted me as moderator to ask me to stop posting, resign as moderator, and/or delete all of the current threads on the board, don't you think?

I am sorry to sound so cross, but please don't jump to conclusions just because ONE member of ONE chapter of an enormous and fair sorority makes a claim that has been TOTALLY UNSUBSTANTIATED by any credible source.

My apologies to KappaKittyCat for sounding so harsh. However, I am well aware of how rumors spread, and as moderator (at least for now), I will NOT allow this forum to let rumors run rampant and put KKG HQ in such a bad light.

Additionally, I will call KKG HQ this morning to find out what the truth is....and I promise to return and post, should I find out anything concrete.

In Greek Love,
imsohappythatiama
Old 11-15-2002, 09:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Now that's sensible! Leave it to imsohappythatiama to come up with a way to smooth this controversy/quandry! Excellent!
Old 11-15-2002, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

The Real Deal

Please view the thread I have pinned to the top of the KKG forum regarding this issue of KKG and Greek Chat.

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...threadid=26278

(edited to add link)

Last edited by imsohappythatiama; 11-15-2002 at 11:15 AM.