GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,374
1 members and 2,373 guests
indygphib

Old 07-15-2013, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment Skill Building Exercises.

Hi all, I'm the VP of Recruitment for an Alpha Chi Omega chapter, and I have some questions to ask of other sorority members. I'm looking for some small and large group activities to build my chapter's recruitment skills (conversations, memory, scoring, sealing the deal, bumping, etc) My chapter is already pretty solid at recruitment, but during work week, I feel like they get kind of bored of the typical exercise pretending our upperclassmen are PNMs and having our newest members practice mock conversations and mock bumping. I'm looking for some activities that your chapters use before recruitment.
An example that I found, that I plan on using, is having two circles (outer circle is Jrs Srs, inner circle is Sophomores) the inner circle are the pretend recruiters, and the outer the pretend PNMs. Then each person says one thing mocking a recruitment convo and it goes around the circle once or twice. Something like this but for other skills also are what I'm looking for.
Anyone have any games, team building, or recruiting exercises that they've done with their chapter and liked or disliked?
Thanks,
AXO DE 1502
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-15-2013, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you have a fairly panhellenic campus? You might try a mock rush with one of the other chapters on campus. If you have a new or struggling chapter on campus, they might be thrilled for the chance to mock rush with a stronger chapter. It's a change of pace, gets you out of the house for a bit (I'd try to do a beginning to end party at both houses), and really forces you to be real about it.

/ETA AND, you could go home and vote on these girls, really do the whole thing. I don't know how cool it would be to present fake pledge invitations, but if you had the right relationship, it could be really fun!

Last edited by DubaiSis; 07-15-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

^what DubaiSis said. We do that with fraternities during our work week and it's a lot of fun because 1) we're getting to be social with boys, 2) the boys love it because they get a free meal and a house tour, and 3) it's a lot more effective for truly building conversation skills, because no matter how much you try, pretending your sister is a PNM is way different than actually talking to a PNM. We've also done the circle thing you mentioned, and it was a lot of fun too. Do you have a nearby chapter or younger, local alums? We've also had alums from other chapters come in during work week to "critique" us on pref, our house tours, etc. Basically, what my chapter has found that works best for us is getting us to talk to people other than our chapter sisters, because we all already feel comfortable with each other - and who doesn't love meeting new people?
Old 07-15-2013, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

The most fun thing my chapter did was have seniors be the most obnoxious PNMs ever. Like one who was in love with another chapter, a "shacker" pnm, party pnm etc. That way we could practice how to handle less than perfect situations. It was always fun to see what costumes the seniors could come up with.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 07-15-2013, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Doing it with another chapter or even with alumnae both are great. That way you don't really know the other people all that well and it's easier to simulate. Do you have another Alpha Chi chapter close by? That would be good too.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Did you check out the Resource Center on our website? There is a section for the VP Recruitment to gain some great ideas. You can also seek out your PCC for help. Her info is online as well.

Good luck!