GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 987
0 members and 987 guests
No Members online

Old 04-15-2017, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

PNM rushing again advice!

hey guys, so i go to a pretty competitive greek life school and i rushed as a freshman and didn't have the best experience. i was getting dropped by every house i loved and was feeling lost. when i talked to my parents they told me they weren't going to help me pay for it and so if i did get into my dream house i would've had to drop anyways. anyway i went through bid day because my rho gam told me to and dropped a week later. my financial situation is completely different now and my mom wants me to rush sophomore year. I'm just scared I'm going to get dropped by all of these houses again. i know i need to work on my convo skills bc I'm pretty sure that was my biggest downfall but i just need advice on what to tell the girls recruiting me throughout the week so they aren't skeptical. thanks guys<3333
Old 04-15-2017, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

It is good that you have analyzed your experience and feel that your weakest area was conversations. Now you need to practice, practice, practice talking to strangers. Standing in line to sell books back to the book store? Talk to the people around you. Making a purchase at Target? Have a conversation with the cashier.

Did you have recommendations? Several groups require that the chapter have a recommendation for each new member before they are offered a bid and/or go thru the pledge ceremony. Additionally, it will give the chapters at your school a heads up that you will be rushing, as well as more info about you. Get recommendations to each chapter at your school.

Have you made friends with girls in sororities at your school? They can be a great help and you should let them know you are rushing.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Did you receive a bid last year? So you were dropped by "all the houses" except the one that gave you a bid? Your parents weren't supporting your sorority membership financially last year, and now they are? Sorry, just confused and trying to clarify what you're looking for here.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNM2017 View Post
hey guys, so i go to a pretty competitive greek life school and i rushed as a freshman and didn't have the best experience. i was getting dropped by every house i loved and was feeling lost. when i talked to my parents they told me they weren't going to help me pay for it and so if i did get into my dream house i would've had to drop anyways. anyway i went through bid day because my rho gam told me to and dropped a week later. my financial situation is completely different now and my mom wants me to rush sophomore year. I'm just scared I'm going to get dropped by all of these houses again. i know i need to work on my convo skills bc I'm pretty sure that was my biggest downfall but i just need advice on what to tell the girls recruiting me throughout the week so they aren't skeptical. thanks guys<3333
We don't know (or want to know) your school. In many places, dropping your pledge is looked at with a lot of criticism. You may not receive invitations from several chapters simply because of this. You need to really, really be prepared this time and develop a good answer to why you walked away from your chapter last year. Get your recs in order, too. Good luck.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

It's not unheard of, or untruthful, to say that you dropped last year because your family was unhappy/uncomfortable with you being in Greek Life and that your parents support (emotional AND financial) is important to you. My parents did not attend any of my chapter's family events and that was difficult. You might want to ask your mom why she changed her mind, because someone may ask you what changed. Have an honest answer prepared that doesn't focus on the money aspect too much. Maybe your parents thought Greek Life was like Animal House, or the worst stereotypes on TV. Maybe they were worried about your maturity and ability to juggle your classes and the sorority. There are lots of logical reasons.