GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,434
0 members and 1,434 guests
No Members online

Old 06-22-2007, 03:04 AM
GreekChat Member

grades

ok so I have a 2.5 hs gpa, average to above average involvement in hs activities, and same with community service, but I did fairly well on my ACT and SAT. The reason for my gpa in hs is that i worked the entire time and i went to a competitive private school. I plan on going through formal recruitment this fall at a fairly competitive sec school and I was wondering if I should write some sort of letter to supplement my application explaining my grades, get stellar recs, or forgo recruitment altogether? please help! thanks
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-22-2007, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

A letter won't do you any good. Your GPA is far too low to have a competitive recruitment. Call the office of Greek Life at your university and find out:

1- The min. GPA required to be eligible to go through recruitment
2- The min. GPA each sorority at your university requires to consider a PNM for membership.

Please note that the min. GPA is a starting point. Many sororities end up pledging members well above the min.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

also the university im attanding calculated my gpa to be higher than my hs counted it ie my hs said i had a 2.2 junior year and my university said 2.4 and senior year my hs said 2.5 so i was wondering since my university gpa will be higher which one will they use?
Old 06-22-2007, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Mods, can we merge this girl's threads?

Otherwise, it looks like she wasn't getting the answers she wanted in the other thread, so she started a new one.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelc8807 View Post
also the university im attanding calculated my gpa to be higher than my hs counted it ie my hs said i had a 2.2 junior year and my university said 2.4 and senior year my hs said 2.5 so i was wondering since my university gpa will be higher which one will they use?
If you had a 2.2 in high school, are you sure you want to rush? I would wait and see how freshman year goes.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

i started both of the threads at the same time so more people would see them and what i just said was that i brought my gpa from a 2.2 junior year to a 2.5 senior year and my actual question was would the sororities look at my recalculated gpa from the university or my gpa straight from my highschool
Old 06-22-2007, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
i started both of the threads at the same time so more people would see them and what i just said was that i brought my gpa from a 2.2 junior year to a 2.5 senior year and my actual question was would the sororities look at my recalculated gpa from the university or my gpa straight from my highschool
No need, we all read everything, pretty much.

And that's about the biggest, longest, unpunctuated sentance I've ever read.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I started both of the threads at the same time so more people would see them, but what I said was I brought my gpa from a 2.2 junior year to a 2.5 senior year. My actual question was if the sororities would look at my recalculated gpa from the university or my gpa straight from my highschool.

Even though I don't see why it matters I fixed it. Happy?
Old 06-22-2007, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Your GPA is your GPA. They'll use whatever shows up on your HS transcripts. (And really if you're talking a 2.4 vs. 2.5 it probably doesn't matter) Your GPA is almost certainly below the minimum accepted. You should work on getting good grades for a year and get involved on campus in other ways before you try to go through recruitment.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I started both of the threads at the same time so more people would see them, but what I said was I brought my gpa from a 2.2 junior year to a 2.5 senior year. My actual question was if the sororities would look at my recalculated gpa from the university or my gpa straight from my highschool.

Even though I don't see why it matters I fixed it. Happy?
The sororities will look at your HS GPA as calculated by the Office of Greek Life, based on your transcripts. I think we've given you all the answers we can...
Old 06-22-2007, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I just talked to the Panhellenic Office at the school and they said 2.2 is required, but most prefer a 2.5 or better. just to keep y'all posted.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

The highest GPA requirement for my school was just a 2.5 and the lowest for one of them was a 2.3. I'm sure you will be fine. Just find out the requirements. If you go to a large school it might be higher tho.

Last edited by Lilxcutie88; 06-23-2007 at 11:21 PM.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilxcutie88 View Post
The highest GPA requirement for my school was just a 2.5 and the lowest for one of them was a 2.3. I'm sure you will be fine. Just find out the requirements. If you go to a large school it might be higher tho.
Wow! The highest was a 2.5 for an incoming freshman to get into a house? The highest sorority's gpa on my alma mater's campus was a 3.7 for an incoming freshman. If I remember correctly, at my chapter, the lowest gpa to get in was around a 2.5...
Old 06-24-2007, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

But again, the minimum allowable often has no relationship to what's desirable or expected.

A 2.5 out of high school will seem low relative to other people going through recruitment.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilxcutie88 View Post
Does your school have deferred recruitment? Was this a required college or high school GPA?