GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,565
0 members and 2,565 guests
No Members online

Old 05-23-2011, 07:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Diamonds of this point size are fairly inexpensive. I have purchased (in bulk) diamonds of this size (2.0mm) of fair quality (SI3-I1) at less than $1 per diamond. I have no doubt that HJ can get their gems (even at what I assume is probably of a better quality) more cheaply than I can.

Most of the cost of the pin is in the workmanship/markup/fees rather than the raw materials as evidenced by the price differential between the 10k gold pin ($370) and the sterling silver pin ($280).

Then why the price discrepancy on these pins you pointed out? Can't truthfully say. One would expect a pin with more diamonds to command a higher price, not so much because of the actual intrinsic value of diamonds of this small size, but rather the "perceived image" that diamonds convey (thanks at least in part to DeBeers) and therefore the demand that they command.

The price discrepancy could simply be a pricing error (though doubtful). Perhaps a higher markup due to a more unique jewel combination or limited model. Or it could be as the previous poster mentioned, that emeralds (assuming these are real emeralds and not synthetic) cost HJ more to obtain. Here your guess is as good as mine.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-23-2011, 10:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katydidKD View Post
Random: Can anyone tell me why HJ Greek is charging more for this pin with four 2mm diamonds: http://www.hjgreek.com/index.cfm?eve...roduct_ID=9010

than this pin with EIGHT diamonds: http://www.hjgreek.com/index.cfm?eve...oduct_ID=10195

demand? because they are both 10k gold (although you can get the former in SS). It blows my mind that the one with twice the amount of diamonds in the diamond/emerald combo is less expensive...

Why not email HJ Greek directly and ask your question? I have found them to be very responsive to questions. All you'll get here is speculation; we don't make jewelry and we don't set prices. There are so many variables to consider.

Last edited by AZTheta; 05-23-2011 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
Why not email HJ Greek directly and ask your question? I have found them to be very responsive to questions.
Yes, and if you want a less formal route you can ask them on Facebook. They started their Facebook profile in part due to this thread, and have acted on several of our suggestions. I'm not generally a huge proponent of Facebook for business purposes - after all I joined when it was limited to only college students - but I think they use it really well, and the proof is in the pudding. Or badges and accessories, in this case!

I'm curious- has HJ Greek (or any other official jeweler, like J. Lewis Small) released any new badges/accessories based on your feedback? I'm sure all of their products are based on feedback & data, but I'm curious about this highly motivated and engaged audience. I know of a few:
- Kappa's new blue & blue badge (from me )
- Alpha Xi's badge holder pendant is in the works (from AZ-AlphaXi)
- Theta's solid kite badge holder pendant (from AzTheta- although I don't see it listed on their site, I remember AzTheta asking for it and they confirmed they could do it).

Any others setting the new badge trends?
Old 05-23-2011, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetygerlily View Post
- Theta's solid kite badge holder pendant (from AzTheta- although I don't see it listed on their site, I remember AzTheta asking for it and they confirmed they could do it).
Small correction: since J. Lewis Small is no longer offering a solid kite holder, HJ Greek graciously agreed to do so on a "semi-custom" basis. They retained the blank to create a solid holder. Not my doing, just asked. Cannot take any credit for this. (obligatory smiley for the week)

Yes, Facebook is the way to go for a fast public response!
Old 05-23-2011, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
I'd like to be a part of the Google Group too. Can someone please invite me? PM me for my email or google account name or whatever you need.
Posting again cause I still would like to join...lol Can someone please point me in the right direction of how to join the group? Thanks!
Old 05-23-2011, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetygerlily View Post
This thread has been known to work miracles

Now where are pictures of your badges??
[/URL]

ebay rescue--- finally a good picture i shot! it is currently at HJ greek having the clasp replaced--- its from 1942!
Old 05-23-2011, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ was the clasp missing? or was it a knuckle/whale tail clasp, perchance? (clasps are my guilty pleasure, as my fellow addicts well know). That's one lovely badge you've got there; the emeralds are stunning.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Here's an ad from Balfour for official Alpha Xi Delta badges from the Alpha Xi Delta Magazine from 1947

Last edited by AZ-AlphaXi; 05-23-2011 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
^^^ was the clasp missing? or was it a knuckle/whale tail clasp, perchance? (clasps are my guilty pleasure, as my fellow addicts well know). That's one lovely badge you've got there; the emeralds are stunning.
I don't know clasp terminology-- but it was a flimsy clasp. It still worked, but was bent, and incredibly poor quality, especially compared to my 2008 HJ badge's clasp. They may be "fixing" it, but i think they will have to replace it (and i'd prefer it just be replaced)
Old 05-24-2011, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

AZ-AlphaXi, does that catalog page say "green gold" is one of the options???
Old 05-24-2011, 03:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greekgrrl View Post
AZ-AlphaXi, does that catalog page say "green gold" is one of the options???
Gold has different karat weights (10, 12, 14, 18, 24 etc.) and the ratio is to 24, with other alloys (metals) affecting the Karat and the color. 24K is 24 parts gold, being pure, hence the cost. 18k is 75%, 12k 50%, and so on for ratios. Adding copper makes red or rose gold, silver makes green, which is a yellow green, and mixing silver and copper with gold makes it quite yellow. One might think white gold would be a result of silver, but it is actually nickel, which a lot of people are allergic to, including me. Platinum silver is a good white gold alternative, a well as palladium with gold to make a white gold without the potential for nickel reactions.

If you've ever seen Black Hills Gold jewelry you've seen green gold. It is pretty popular in my family since the Black Hills is where we first moved after Norway, though a lot of people think it is tacky, and the majority is outrageous, like toe rings and crazy pendants. I have a small pair of my grandmother's earrings and an initial pendant like all my sisters that matches the one my mother had as a teenager. The leaves on Black Hills Gold pieces are "green gold" and the color looks like a light yellow green when the rest of the jewelry uses onyx, rose gold, and regular gold. The three colors of gold really offset each other, even more so with onyx. It complemented my western garb for when I barrel raced.

There's also more nerdy science stuff about how gold interacts with light and can take on different hues, which relates back to Black Hills Gold and the colors being more intense when placed all together. Opals can often look more fiery in BHG settings, and my mom has a Tanzanite set that she can only pull off because she's a red head.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Greekgrrl .. yes it did and I wondered what green gold was and thanks to VandalSquirrel we now know what green gold is. Thanks!!!
Old 05-24-2011, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Wow, Vandal Squirrel -- I consider myself pretty jewelry-savvy but that was definitely a lesson!

(Three cheers to GC for being the place to learn the most random stuff!)
Old 05-24-2011, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

It's really interesting that Alpha Xi offered rose gold and green gold options. Have any Alpha Xis here encountered those?

I do have one rose gold Kappa key from 1947, but I don't know if it was purposefully made that color or was due to limited supplies during and soon after WWII.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:37 AM
GreekChat Member

ebay rescue--- finally a good picture i shot! it is currently at HJ greek having the clasp replaced--- its from 1942![/QUOTE]

best shot i could get of my initiation pin!