GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 2,370
0 members and 2,370 guests
No Members online

Old 01-27-2007, 02:39 AM
Banned

I do quite a bit of traveling... and this is the only country that I have visited where I had an absolutely miserable time. I would never go back to the DR.

I went with two friends... and stayed at the "Five Star" Catalonia Bavaro Resort.

Although the resort itself was beautiful, we all had a lousy time. Why? We were all sick as dogs! We were so careful about the water... all we drank was bottled water. We brushed our teeth with bottled water. We declined ice in our drinks. We ate no raw food, and only peeled fruit. Yet we all got sicker than sick. In fact, a huge amount of people at the resort told us they were sick as well.

I think the problem is that this is a third world country, and the hygene practices are not like ours. The restaurants were all outdoors, and the food was out in the heat. I saw food handlers in the bathrooms who didn't wash their hands. And.. despite this being a gorgeous resort, there were chickens and roosters running around the grounds!

Speaking of illness, you might want to talk to your doctor about taking chloroqunine as a prophylaxis against malaria.

"Travelers to rural areas of the Dominican Republic are at risk for malaria, with the highest risk in provinces bordering Haiti. In addition, risk in all areas of La Altagracia Province, including Punta Cana and Bavaro Beach."
http://www.cdc.gov/travel/caribean.htm

The DR has also had outbreaks of polio from time to time, (due to its proximity to Haiti) so be sure to check on the cdc site for the latest health info.

Remember too, that this is a very poor country, so there is a crime problem. I was not happy with the fact that there were security guards on the hotel perimeter armed with machine guns!

Dominican Repubic? Never again. I'll take Bermuda!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-29-2007, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Hello Blueangel,
Thanks for the reminder about the water. When I've been to the Caribbean twice before, I never asked for bottled water and was fine but I will try to remember this tip. I go pick up my prescription to address Malaria today. There aren't any current polio concerns on the state dept site.

I'm looking forward to interacting with the Dominicans in their native countryside so I hope to be able to get into town. It seems like most of the Caribbean is pretty third world and the poverty is very sad. I haven't had any problems with crime yet (maybe they thought I was one of them - LOL - not sure) but hope not to this time. Armed guards? Yuck. I hope that my resort doesn't have that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel View Post
I do quite a bit of traveling... and this is the only country that I have visited where I had an absolutely miserable time. I would never go back to the DR.

I went with two friends... and stayed at the "Five Star" Catalonia Bavaro Resort.

Although the resort itself was beautiful, we all had a lousy time. Why? We were all sick as dogs! We were so careful about the water... all we drank was bottled water. We brushed our teeth with bottled water. We declined ice in our drinks. We ate no raw food, and only peeled fruit. Yet we all got sicker than sick. In fact, a huge amount of people at the resort told us they were sick as well.

I think the problem is that this is a third world country, and the hygene practices are not like ours. The restaurants were all outdoors, and the food was out in the heat. I saw food handlers in the bathrooms who didn't wash their hands. And.. despite this being a gorgeous resort, there were chickens and roosters running around the grounds!

Speaking of illness, you might want to talk to your doctor about taking chloroqunine as a prophylaxis against malaria.

"Travelers to rural areas of the Dominican Republic are at risk for malaria, with the highest risk in provinces bordering Haiti. In addition, risk in all areas of La Altagracia Province, including Punta Cana and Bavaro Beach."

The DR has also had outbreaks of polio from time to time, (due to its proximity to Haiti) so be sure to check on the cdc site for the latest health info.

Remember too, that this is a very poor country, so there is a crime problem. I was not happy with the fact that there were security guards on the hotel perimeter armed with machine guns!

Old 01-29-2007, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Hello Blueangel,
Thanks for the reminder about the water. When I've been to the Caribbean twice before, I never asked for bottled water and was fine but I will try to remember this tip. I go pick up my prescription to address Malaria today. There aren't any current polio concerns on the state dept site.

I'm looking forward to interacting with the Dominicans in their native countryside so I hope to be able to get into town. It seems like most of the Caribbean is pretty third world and the poverty is very sad. I haven't had any problems with crime yet (maybe they thought I was a citizen - LOL - not sure) but hope not to this time. Armed guards? Yuck. I hope that my resort doesn't have that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel View Post

Old 01-29-2007, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerChild View Post
Hello Blueangel,

I'm looking forward to interacting with the Dominicans in their native countryside so I hope to be able to get into town. It seems like most of the Caribbean is pretty third world and the poverty is very sad. I haven't had any problems with crime yet (maybe they thought I was a citizen - LOL - not sure) but hope not to this time. Armed guards? Yuck. I hope that my resort doesn't have that.
Most of the resorts I passed by on the way to mine had armed guards at the gate and on the edge of the property on the beach.
Have fun, relax and enjoy.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you everyone for your helpful tips!
I will try to enjoy this much-needed vacation.

SC
Old 01-30-2007, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Hello Jon,
Wow. Oh well, I'm sure that it will be a nice trip at any rate. I'll just have to pretend that I don't see them.
Thanks for your tips,
SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1856 View Post
Most of the resorts I passed by on the way to mine had armed guards at the gate and on the edge of the property on the beach.
Have fun, relax and enjoy.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hello Jon,
Wow. Oh well, I'm sure that it will be a nice trip at any rate. I'll just have to pretend that I don't see them.
Thanks for your tips,
SC
I really hope you do enjoy yourself.
And if you at going to an all-inclusive watch our waist line!!!!
Do not eat more that you would at home even if it really looks good and/or different.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful advice! I had a great time and didn't want to come back. LOL. The people are wonderful and the country is beautiful. Tourism is really a big part of the economy of this somewhat still developing country so if you're looking for a great place to vacation, consider hanging out with the Dominicans (in the Dominican Republic, not NY ).

If anyone wants to know about my experiences in particular, pm me.

I stayed on the resort property but also took an excursion to Santo Domingo, the capital, and a jeep safari tour to the more remote areas.

SC
Old 02-06-2007, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for the wonderful advice! I had a great time and didn't want to come back. LOL. The people are wonderful and the country is beautiful. Tourism is really a big part of the economy of this somewhat still developing country so if you're looking for a great place to vacation, consider hanging out with the Dominicans (in the Dominican Republic, not NY ).

If anyone wants to know about my experiences in particular, pm me.

I stayed on the resort property but also took an excursion to Santo Domingo, the capital, and a jeep safari tour to the more remote areas.

SC
Welcome Home.
Glad you enjoyed yourself.