GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 1,300
0 members and 1,300 guests
No Members online

Old 02-28-2007, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

CHASE AND ALPHA KAPPA ALPHA SORORITY PARTNER TO INCREASE HOME OWNERSHIP AMONG AFRICAN AMERICANS

Leading Lender, Oldest Sorority Share Keys to Homeownership

Chicago, IL (BlackNews.com) - Chase, one of the nation's leading residential housing lenders, recently presented a $115,000 grant to African-American sorority Alpha Kappa Alpha as part of an initiative to increase homeownership among African Americans.

"Keys to Homeownership" a component of the sorority's Economic Keys to Success and Economics and the Black Family programmatic platforms will provide workshops, flexible mortgages and dedicated loan officers to potential homeowners through the sorority to the communities they serve.

"We can help close the homeownership gap in the African-American community by working with organizations that already serve the community," said Thasunda Duckett, senior vice president at Chase. "Together, Chase and Alpha Kappa Alpha can literally deliver the keys of homeownership to people who haven't had access to the proper resources."

Keys to Homeownership will provide sorority members and the communities they serve with:

* Educational resources, including workshops and online tools;
* Tips on adding real estate to their wealth-building portfolio;
* Access to flexible mortgage products;
* Dedicated loan officer support; and
* Use of a national counseling organization for those who have credit challenges.

"Alpha Kappa Alpha's all-encompassing and essential priority must be economic awareness, economic sufficiency, and an economic engagement for the betterment of the communities it serves. Our partnership with Chase and the 'Keys to Homeownership' initiative will serve as an important vehicle in executing this vision," said Barbara McKinzie, Centennial International President of Alpha Kappa Alpha, the country's oldest African American sorority.

About Chase:
Chase originates $170 billion in residential mortgages and home equity annually, and services a portfolio of more than $500 billion. The home lending division serves borrowers nationwide through 2,400 local loan officers in 270 mortgage offices and 3,000 bank branches, as well as 450 representatives in call centers. In addition, the Chase Business-to-Business channel serves mortgage brokers and bankers in all 50 states through 15 processing centers and more than 700 account executives. Parent company JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM) is a leading global financial services firm with assets of $1.4 trillion and operations in more than 50 countries. Information about Chase's mortgage products and services is available at www.chase.com

About Alpha Kappa Alpha:
Alpha Kappa Alpha founded in 1908 is the first African American sorority and one of the world's largest female organizations (www.aka1908.com). Since 1908, the Alpha Kappa Alpha sisterhood has responded to the world's increasing complexity. The Sorority continues to empower communities through exemplary service initiatives and progressive programs. AKA boasts such members as Maya Angelou, Astronaut Mae Jaemison, the late Rosa Parks and Coretta Scott King.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-01-2007, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to CountryGurl Send a message via Yahoo to CountryGurl
South Atlantic Region of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Raises $20,000

South Atlantic Region of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Raises $20,000 for scholarships at annual conference
Four Thousand Sorority Sisters Converge on Downtown Atlanta

ATLANTA (March 1, 2007) - Members from more than 100 chapters of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated raised $20,000 for Educational Advancement during a conference to kick off a countdown to the organization's centennial anniversary in 2008.

Led by Regional Director Ella Springs Jones of Augusta, Georgia, more than 4,000 sorority members and guests came to the Marriott Marquis February 22-25 for a weekend of leadership, service and sisterhood at the 54th annual South Atlantic Regional conference. Themed "The Bridge of Ella-vation: Sisterhood, Service, Promise, the conference empowered sorority members of the South Atlantic Region (Georgia, Florida, and South Carolina), as well as members from other states and countries.

Welcoming a capacity crowd at the Marriott Marquis Ballroom, an exuberant Jones spoke of the significance of the occasion. "I feel especially good for you to be here as we celebrate service and sisterhood."

At the conference, Alpha Kappa Alpha's international president challenged sorority members and guests to build up wealth in black communities while upholding the vision set when the sorority founded in 1908.

Barbara A. McKinzie's comments came during a public meeting at the conference, the second of 10 planned throughout the nation in a buildup to a Centennial celebration next summer in Washington, D.C.

The South Atlantic Region is the sorority's largest. As such, McKinzie said, it is the torchbearer and keeper of the light.

Participants attended a series of information sessions and workshops centered on the national administrative focus of Economics, Sisterhood and Partnerships. The workshops develop technical and leadership skills, a hallmark of Alpha Kappa Alpha.

During the conference, Jones ushered in the opening of a new Region Hall of Fame, which honors the 15 women who led the South Atlantic Region, and lay members who often toil sometimes are unsung heroes.

In recognition of Jones' leadership and long record of service, members and chapters capitalized a $20,000 endowed scholarship in her name. The scholarship will be administered by the Educational Advancement Foundation, the sorority's non-profit funding arm.

Founded in 1908 on the campus of Howard University in Washington, D.C., Alpha Kappa Alpha is the oldest and largest sorority of its kind with more than 200,000 members. Because of its stature and nearly 100-year-record of service, AKA is hailed as "America's premiere Greek-lettered organization for Black women."

http://www.theweekly.com/news/2007/March/01/AKA.html

Nu Gamma Omega Chapter
Old 03-06-2007, 09:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorors et.al.,

It seems that the Sorors in Canada will have their own chapter. Congrats!

http://www.akainternational.org/main/
Old 03-06-2007, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA2D '91 View Post
Sorors et.al.,

YAY!!!
Old 03-06-2007, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to btb87 Send a message via Yahoo to btb87
That is great and exciting news!
Old 03-06-2007, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Sorors et.al.,

Yes, I concur!
"life is a beautiful journey"
Old 03-07-2007, 03:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Sorors et.al.,

Next is Vancouver B.C.!!!

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 03-07-2007, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Quote:
Sorors et.al.,

Matter of fact, I was just thinking about this. Congratulations to our Canadian Sorors.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:05 AM
GreekChat Member

WOW! That makes my heart happy! There are so many things to be accomplished worldwide, this is just another step to do so! International region is flourishing and we are feeling the support from our sorors in the states! It really means a lot to us!
Old 03-09-2007, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe our 1st Boule outside of the US will be in Canada!
Although we were in Toronto briefly this summer while at Boule, what I saw on my way there, and after we got there was simply beautiful.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Boule in Canada what a thought- and yes Toronto is simply Beautiful especially around the time of the Carabana festival in July.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Sorors et.al.,

As a non-AKA, I don't usually read this thread, but after doing a search I couldn't find mention of it elsewhere. (There used to be a thread, but I can't find it.)

Anyway, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! Someone sent a link to this on the NPHC yahoogroup. I was wondering what the chapter designation for this new group will be?
Old 03-21-2007, 09:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to unspokenone25
^^

Psi Delta Omega Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated!!!
Old 03-21-2007, 09:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2007, 01:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Our Centennial Website...

Centennial...

If I wanted to be a member, I would dayum sho MEMORIZE and RECITE EVERYTHING HERE!!!

Uh, huh. Yeah...

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana