GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 1,523
3 members and 1,520 guests
fmanning, jamesmaarleyz54, SilverTurtle

Old 11-08-2000, 02:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile GEORGE IS THE PRESIDENT ELECT!!!!

Bush-Cheney win!!!!!

Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-08-2000, 04:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

The state of
Texas, under the leadership of
Governor George W. Bush,
is
ranked:

50th in spending for teachers' salaries
49th in spending
on the environment
48th in per-capita funding for public health
47th in
delivery of social services
42nd in child-support collections
41st in
per-capita spending on public education

And ...

5th in percentage
of population living in poverty
1st in air and water pollution
1st in
percentage of poor working parents without insurance
1st in percentage of
children without health insurance
1st in executions (average 1 every 2 weeks
for Bush's 5 years as Governor

Well....
Old 11-08-2000, 04:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

I don't see anything to be happy about...
Old 11-08-2000, 06:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Angry

thank goodness they're recounting the ballots in florida.... this might not be over yet... those texas numbers are SCARY!!!
Old 11-08-2000, 08:20 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm very glad they are recounting the votes. If Bush becomes president, I will genuinely be scared, not that I'm a Gore supporter, but the idea of Bush ultimatly scares the socks off of me.
Old 11-08-2000, 08:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

As usual statistics do not lie, but they can be manipulated! I have an undergrad in psych, and a masters degree which both required me to eat, live, sleep, and breathe statistics for 6 years straight. Here's an example of the numbers in relationship to child insurance - Texas is a border state. How many illegal immigrants come into Texas and set up housing somewhere and go unnoticed by anyone? Then one day their child gets sick, and they take him or her to the local hospital --- where, it turns out, the child has no health insurance. Of course he doesn't - his family is living here illegally which makes it pretty hard to have insurance. So the stats are correct when they read 1st w/out child health insurance - but they have been manipulated by not revealing the whole truth. Just rattling off a statistic here and there is pointless unless you know all the factors. It's like judging a book by its cover - the title may sound great and wonderful, but the material behind it may suck.

Here's another point...who is producing these statistics? Last I checked there was no National Truth in Statistics Board that published unbiased stats on every topic. Everyone has an agenda - depending on that agenda is the way the stats will read. Who paid for the research? Who will gain from it? Many times education proponents who need more money for whatever purpose will not just say "we need 10 more classrooms" - that may get them the $$$ they need but no more. So instead they'll say "15% of our children have to stand up in class because there aren't enough chairs for them." And then we all ooh-and-ahh over this tragedy (of course - who wants our kids standing up). But then when you look into it, you may see that the 15% doesn't just include one school, or district, or even county. For all we know it could include an entire state, which would be true to the stats (but not necessarily that the kids in my county are standing up). So then our local taxes go up to pay for something that may not truly be affecting us (on the local level).

So you have to know the whole story before you can be swayed by statistics. Have your opinion - but it should be an educated one that has formed as a result of knowing the issues and how they will affect you and your community personally.

As far as the election goes - I think it says a lot that Al had already conceded to George, and then recanted. I will say that regardless of the winner, I am anxiously awaiting the Constitutional Amendment that will abolish the Electoral College. I have never met anyone who approved of our current process, and would be happy to hear from anyone that does. I think it should be the popular vote. The voice of the people.
Old 11-08-2000, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

Anyway ............. Bush IS very COCKY, to say the least and he takes to much PRIDE and JOY in his death penalty state, he smiles at the mere mention of execution, and government mandated death is a very scary thing. He does not care about African Americans and affirmative action, look at how he treated the Byrd family!!! Now, I am a Christian black women with high ethical and moral standards, and don't want to bring any one persons name down, as a matter of fact none of these candidates (including stupid Nader) are God's gift to us, but George W Bush is the devil. And of course that is just MY honest opinion ....take it or leave it, but Gore Supporters please pray and make this thing turn out RIGHT!!!!
Old 11-08-2000, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

I don't understand why people continue to think that Al Gore is against the death penalty - HE IS NOT and this was stated numerous times throughout the campaign. I am very strong in my opinion of the death penalty: You do the crime, you pay the price! It is true - there is no justice in the death penalty because a murderer who takes the life of another person, especially in the most heinous of crimes, deserves to be put to death in the same manner. But until people realize that murderers have NO rights the death penalty is the closest thing to justice we have. Who wants to stand here and tell those families in Oklahoma that the bombers that destroyed their life, don't deserve to die? What about 12 year old Polly Klaas' family - she was raped and murdered by a convicted and released child molestor - oh yeah - he was reformed! Whatever! And I am a Christian with strong ethical and moral values which is why I voted for Bush. I could never with a clear conscience vote for a man who tells me the life of a child in the womb is disposable (i.e., Al Gore) - that IN MY OPINION is the devil at hand. No - Gore is not the devil, and I do not resort to labeling that serious of a term onto people.

How, you may ask, is it possible to be pro-life and be pro-death penalty? Its a matter of innocence and guilt!
Old 11-08-2000, 01:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Little32:

AXO Alum- We have all heard the statistics speech before. As a Christian doesn't your bible tell you that vengeance belongs to God?
And we have all heard the statistics before too! What experience have you had with statistical research? I have had enough to know that the stats that are turned out don't make it the gospel truth. And speaking of gospel truth - in my Bible, Jesus tells his followers to obey the laws of man while serving Him. (Give unto Ceasar what is Ceasar's.....) I've stated WHY I believe Bush is the best choice based on the ISSUES - I have not resorted to name calling (what is up with this Dubya thing?) and I have not based my opinion on things like "Bush blinks too much" - who cares? The issues are what matter. It is out of all of our hands now. What's done is done since the voting is over. Let them count the vote and determine the winner whether Gore or Bush. You have been on me about this from the other thread because heaven forbid someone disagree with you and back it up with FACTS! If Gore is elected, then I will continue to be strong to my party and make him follow through on his promises to the people (especially the senior citizens). I will not move to another country, and I won't lay in bed crying over it. And I specifically stated before that I think regardless of the winner the electoral college should be dissolved. It should be popular vote.

So you, Little32, should have no more questions for me since you have seen why I feel as strongly as I do based on my opinion which is based on my interpretation of the issues. If so, please email me directly so we don't have to go through our philosophical differences in the public forum.
Old 11-08-2000, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

"I have an undergrad in psych, and a masters degree which both required me to eat, live, sleep, and breathe statistics for 6 years straight."

I don't have the time or the inclination to get into a "look at me, I eat statistics and studied this or that more than you..nah nah nah nah nah" debate. I just put it out there for you and anyone else out there reading these boards to see. End of story.

If you DON'T think that Jeb had a hand in the politiking going on in Florida...PLEASE take your blinders off. Hey but if you choose not to...that's okay too. I'm not in here to sway anybody's opinion.

And lastly G-Dub---Dubya---whatever you want to call him (and Dubya is the way that ol' Georgey boy says his own middle name, HE SAID IT I DIDN'T hahahahahahahahaha) IMHO is not the right man to lead my country. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.
Old 11-08-2000, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

AXO Alum,
I did not expect that you would get so hot and bothered. That is a question that I ask of any and all Christians who believe in the death penalty and I have received a variety of responses. It was really a rhetorical question. I don't wish to debate religion with you so I will leave it at that.

I truthfully don't wish to email you privately concerning anything. I don't have much experience with statistics, but we all have heard how easily they can be manipulated to paint just about any picture you want. I was merely saying that everyone knows that statistics should be taken with a grain of salt and they are not gospel.

Dubya (W) is a term that has been widely used by the press to refer to George's middle name. I like it, I think it fits, I use it.

Yes, we had a debate on the other thread, but I, from my end, took it as a civilized discussion. It is not my fault that you choose to get worked up over the comments of an individual that you don't know at all. Just as you are allowed your opinion, I am allowed mine and just because we disagree does not mean that I am attacking you as a human being. I DON'T KNOW YOU. YOU DONT'T KNOW ME. Why in the world should my comments either way matter so much to you.

[This message has been edited by Little32 (edited November 08, 2000).]
Old 11-08-2000, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZetaAce Send a message via AIM to ZetaAce
Howdy,

Let's all stick to discussing the topic in a civilized manner, ok? Thanks!

Your Moderator,
ZetaAce

------------------
FinerWomanhood: Learn it, Live it, Love it!
Old 11-08-2000, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

well, at this point, I don't care if tweedle dee or tweedle dum win. They are both the same to me. I voted Nader, and I'm glad I voted my concious.

We are living through history here. It's pretty cool if you think about it. This election will go down as one of the most historic because of the Pat B. incident in FL. How many people walked in and thought they were voting for Gore, when they actully got confuzzled and voted for Pat? Years down the road it will still be argued who should have won because we will never really know how many of those votes should have gone to, Gore or Pat.

Another thing, electoral college. Polls--which we hate, but CAN have some truth to them--say that in the 1960's 58% of the people wanted to do away with it, 1970's 61%, 1981--75%. Now. . .if 75% of the american citizens wanted to do away with the electoral college in 1981--why is it still around? It PROVES that washington doesn't give a damn what the people want.

Old 11-08-2000, 02:29 PM

"It PROVES that washington doesn't give a damn what the people want."
I totally agree with that comment, mgdzkm433. In some ways, I don't even know why we bother to vote for who we think is going to listen to us. They never do listen. There are very few politicians out there who listen to what the people have to say and make their decisions based on that. Most politicians make their decisions based on what's good for themselves.
Old 11-08-2000, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

McCoyred,

It has happened in the past that a president won the electoral vote but did not have a maojority vote. That's why this electoral college crap stinks!