GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 788
1 members and 787 guests
babobygooglet93

Old 03-25-2013, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Do many people join Greek organizations that aren't Nationals?

My sorority, along with 5 other organizations at my school are "locals" which means we are not part of a national organization. We operate solely as a independent organization with no chapters at other schools.
Meanwhile, in the last two years, Two national organizations have started on our campus.

I can see a big difference in how the 6 of our organizations work and how the 2 national ones do. And I honestly like how we operate better.

Opinions?
Old 03-25-2013, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

What do you perceive to be some of the differences? (Be tactful if you wish to make friends, lol)
Old 03-25-2013, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KASalways View Post
My sorority, along with 5 other organizations at my school are "locals" which means we are not part of a national organization. We operate solely as a independent organization with no chapters at other schools.
Meanwhile, in the last two years, Two national organizations have started on our campus.

I can see a big difference in how the 6 of our organizations work and how the 2 national ones do. And I honestly like how we operate better.

Opinions?
How do you operate that you consider preferable? We have no idea what differences you are referring to. No one ever said that NPC rules are perfect... but a whole lot of schools prefer to work with NPC organizations over locals.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
The hazing in my sorority comes at a bare minimum, unlike some of the other locals. But it is the fact that through our activities, we have a different type of bond than the nationals here. Maybe it is just our nationals & other places it is different.
But we have no one to answer to besides our school (who pays us no attention), and our alumni (who think they had it alot worse than the pledges do now). We choose what we do and how we do it. Our constitution keeps us in place, but gives us the freedom we enjoy.
Do you think UW Platteville is going to approve that you haze, but that you keep it to a "bare minimum"? How about your insurance provider, assuming you have one?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-25-2013, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The hazing in my sorority comes at a bare minimum, unlike some of the other locals. But it is the fact that through our activities, we have a different type of bond than the nationals here. Maybe it is just our nationals & other places it is different.
But we have no one to answer to besides our school (who pays us no attention), and our alumni (who think they had it alot worse than the pledges do now). We choose what we do and how we do it. Our constitution keeps us in place, but gives us the freedom we enjoy.
@ the bold -- I hope no one from your school's administration sees this.

"Not as much hazing" is not necessarily something to be proud of, especially from an administrator's POV.

ETA: Kevin types faster than I do.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

LOL - I love the "we don't haze as bad as they do" excuse.

And if you beat your wife, but your neighbor beats his wife even more than you do, does that make it okay?
Old 03-25-2013, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Gotta love those who have to pick up on that. For all I know (and what I presume) is that you do things that some consider hazing because someone might consider it demeaning. I'm thinking thinks like pledges answering the door at the house, or answering the phones, or actually having to hold a conversation with every sister prior to her initiation.

I come from a very small chapter, though of a national, that guarded our independence fiercely, and tolerated visits from headquarters (mind you, this was long ago and far away). I may understand what you mean. I like the idea of freedom to do what one feels is necessary for the health of the chapter and the sisterhood without NPC or even a national determining how you'd do something. There's something to be said for independence.

But there's something, also, to be said for having a network of thousands of sisters across the country, and an instant network and bond wherever you may go. Running into a sister while on a family to trip to Europe, for example, or in the mall where you had to stop on a cross-country trip 'cause you ruined your jeans.

Each has its pros and cons. The important thing is that your sorority gives you the bond and home that's right for you.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGTess View Post
But there's something, also, to be said for having a network of thousands of sisters across the country, and an instant network and bond wherever you may go.
I'd agree. And I'd add that my experience was of good relations between chapter and national HQ, so from that perspective, there's much to be said for the support that a national organization can provide to a chapter. YMMV.

Quote:
Each has its pros and cons. The important thing is that your sorority gives you the bond and home that's right for you.
Exactly.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I come from a very small chapter, though of a national, that guarded our independence fiercely, and tolerated visits from headquarters (mind you, this was long ago and far away). I may understand what you mean. I like the idea of freedom to do what one feels is necessary for the health of the chapter and the sisterhood without NPC or even a national determining how you'd do something. There's something to be said for independence.

But there's something, also, to be said for having a network of thousands of sisters across the country, and an instant network and bond wherever you may go. Running into a sister while on a family to trip to Europe, for example, or in the mall where you had to stop on a cross-country trip 'cause you ruined your jeans.

I completely agree with this.
I have to admit that I was scared witless of going to the Sorority City Council Meeting a few weeks back with our chapter President. The meeting was held in a large local hall and we were sitting there and waiting for our sisters from the Sorority City Council to arrive because no one currently in the hall knew where to direct us to for the meeting (we were running a bit early). I wasn't sure what they'd think of us or whether we'd all get along. Bundle of nerves, I was.

I remember looking up suddenly and getting this feeling that the group of women entering the main hall entrance at that moment were my sisters, and got up to ask them if they were also Beta Sigma Phi. As it turned out, they were.

Of course, as it turned out....I had nothing at all to worry about. Our sisters, even we didn't know them from Adam, immediately made us feel at home and were eager to reach out to us, the new kids on the block.

That's my take on one extremely positive experience that has happened in my short time of being a member of a national sorority.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

My initial instinct is that the NPC sororities that have come in are starting to do well and shake things up and you're getting defensive. Hazing in NPC sororities is not tolerated AT ALL, but if you think that diminishes their sisterhood, you are sadly mistaken. However, being that improved sisterhood is the justification for your hazing, I can appreciate why you think it. "We humiliate our sisters but nobody every breaks bones or ends up in the hospital" is not an acceptable answer. If on the off-chance you mean phone/door duty is your version of hazing, then maybe we can talk about it.

But from my perspective, the benefits of membership in an NPC far outweigh any benefit you get from being in a local. The biggest being membership for a lifetime. And that's for real. Virtually every member of an NPC sorority, regardless of how old she is, will be within a few hours of an alumnae chapter anywhere in the US. And with regional exceptions, probably in the city where she lives. They provide scholarships, leadership training, and many other things most locals are just not going to be able to provide.

If the reason behind this question is that your group is considering affiliation with an NPC, you should strongly consider it. You will get out of it a lot more than you have to surrender.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
If the reason behind this question is that your group is considering affiliation with an NPC, you should strongly consider it. You will get out of it a lot more than you have to surrender.
I'd go so far as to say the universal truth of that statement is questionable. What do your sisters want? That should dictate your future. What are the principles that mean the most to you? If independence is #1, national is not the way to go.

I really don't want to belabor the point. The person I am now fiercely rejects standardization in lots of things, and in standardizing to the lowest common denominator. However, I gave an oath, and the fact my sisters know I will live up to that oath now - 40 years post pledging - and in the future is important to me. The person I am now would have chosen a local for the independence, but would have had to give up a lot.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Many schools don't permit local sororities.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
Many schools don't permit local sororities.
And many colleges with locals are requiring the locals choose affiliation with an NPC group or disband. This goes for campuses with mixed locals and NPC, and campuses with strictly locals.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't say why people would join locals, but I joined an NPC for a lot of reasons, one of the biggest being the rich history and traditions. There is something sacred to know you are participating in the same ritual that has been handed down for so many years, and was written when women were not even allowed to vote. The struggle that they had to even be given an education and the things they went through means a lot to me. I'm also very proud that my sorority doesn't endorse hazing. AT ALL. And the ideals it represents. Every time I see my badge it reminds me of those ideals, and that I must do my best every day to live up to them. That I truly am inspired to the highest type of womanhood. That is why I chose Gamma Phi and I'm just over the moon that Gamma Phi chose me as well. Even years after graduating!

Warning: The above post may be dripping in sarcasm and full of smartassedness.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Gotta love those who have to pick up on that. For all I know (and what I presume) is that you do things that some consider hazing because someone might consider it demeaning. I'm thinking thinks like pledges answering the door at the house, or answering the phones, or actually having to hold a conversation with every sister prior to her initiation.
My original answer explained that because of hazing, locals were on their way out because every single one of them is a lawsuit away from extinction and generally, they're going to have an awfully hard time finding an insurance carrier when they explain among their reasons for independence are that they want to haze a little bit.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma