GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,542
2 members and 2,540 guests
Xidelt

Old 10-16-2020, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Is it just me, or does Pennsylvania have A LOT of colleges and universities?

Every time I drive through the state, I see the number of signs on the highways indicating an exit for a school and think, "ANOTHER one?"

It became even more apparent recently when I drove north-south through the state with my bf who grew up in the south, and every other exit he asked, "Now what the heck is THAT school?" Granted, I've heard of a lot of them simply because AST has so many chapters in the state, but it does seem like there's one on every street corner. Ok, maybe not that many, but you get the idea.

I have to wonder how long they can all keep up, especially after the effects this pandemic will have on higher education.
One of the perils of being the second U.S. state of fifty. They've had a longer time to form their educational institutions.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-16-2020, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

As I mentioned before, I think they’re pricing themselves out of business. Most of them went nuts with things like climbing walls and suite style dorms and Starbucks- I suppose, trying to compete for out of state tuition dollars. But, that’s not, and has never been, their market. When I went to :
Slippery Rock in 1998-2000 it was 8k a year and that coveted room and board and tuition and “fees.” The last time I checked, it was 16,000 for both and today it’s saying about 21,000 for both.

An average student from a lower class or working class family is just going to pass. For not much more, you could go to a flagship in a different state (even factoring in out of state tuition). And they are stingy with scholarships. My nephew looked at SRU and even with a 4.0 and everything he didn’t get any assistance. He is at Chatham, where he got like $25k right off the top. Public schools can’t keep up with that.

If they’re not actually merging at this point in time, I predict soon. PA does have a lot of colleges and a lot of community colleges too.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
My cousin's granddaughter is a Freshman at CIA and she said she couldn't go through recruitment Winter Semester. <shrug> Granddaughter of cousin would be a legacy of one of the sororities at CWRU.
I would agree that it is not very common, though.
Huh interesting, if that is the new rule than it was changed within the last two years. If you can I’d definitely encourage your cousins granddaughter (first cousin twice removed?) to look into it more if she’s interested.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Understood. Just figured since we're hear on Greekchat and the OP asked about Greek Life, I would post the Greek chapters on each campus

P.S. Do you know why AST closed at Clarion? I can't say I remember.
I think their numbers were down, but I honestly don’t know the exact reason.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
One of the perils of being the second U.S. state of fifty. They've had a longer time to form their educational institutions.
This. Also keep in mind the terrain and weather that makes too much traveling near impossible in the winter.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I think their numbers were down, but I honestly don’t know the exact reason.
IIRC they turned in their own charter.

At one time, AST was at every SSHE school except for Cheyney.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

ETA: I also think some of the problem is that Generation Z just isn’t as into college as the previous two generations. More kids are going to technical and community colleges. My nephew’s boyfriend did vo tech in high school and got offered a full time job in HVAC as soon as he graduated. He makes money comparable to a recent college grad and has full benefits without sitting in college for one day. I think my sister’s youngest two kids will follow the same path; Peter is in the same vo tech for automotive right now and he loves it. I think it’s good, because not everyone is cut out for college and it’s stupid to force kids just for the sake of “everyone should go to college.”

I am reading a few books on the topic: The Five Year Party and College Unbound. I have mentioned the book “Paying for the Party” a lot on here. Basically the author, a sociologist who embedded at IU to study college students, found the lower income kids in her study fared better at branch campuses and getting a degree there, or an associates.
Old 10-17-2020, 01:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *winter* View Post
ETA: I also think some of the problem is that Generation Z just isn’t as into college as the previous two generations. More kids are going to technical and community colleges. My nephew’s boyfriend did vo tech in high school and got offered a full time job in HVAC as soon as he graduated. He makes money comparable to a recent college grad and has full benefits without sitting in college for one day. I think my sister’s youngest two kids will follow the same path; Peter is in the same vo tech for automotive right now and he loves it. I think it’s good, because not everyone is cut out for college and it’s stupid to force kids just for the sake of “everyone should go to college.”

I am reading a few books on the topic: The Five Year Party and College Unbound. I have mentioned the book “Paying for the Party” a lot on here. Basically the author, a sociologist who embedded at IU to study college students, found the lower income kids in her study fared better at branch campuses and getting a degree there, or an associates.
My nephew spent 4 years obtaining a degree in a useless major. He went to college because everyone else was going. He ended up being a paramedic for a while. He wised up and became a electrician apprentice. He's now an electrician making more money than some degree professions. He's happily married with three kids and lives in a beautiful house. My nephew loves his job! College is not for everyone. There are plenty of trade and vocational jobs out there.
Old 10-17-2020, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *winter* View Post
IIRC they turned in their own charter.

At one time, AST was at every SSHE school except for Cheyney.
Technically, but this is one of those “if you don’t turn it in we’ll close you anyway” deals. With all the chapters that are ok numbers and $ and RFM wise turning in their charters these days, let’s not get it twisted.

https://alphasigmatau.org/news-event...sN9dYz9ISTAUWE
Old 10-17-2020, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAnchor View Post
Huh interesting, if that is the new rule than it was changed within the last two years. If you can I’d definitely encourage your cousins granddaughter (first cousin twice removed?) to look into it more if she’s interested.
It is very possible that she isn't interested in going through recruitment and her easy-out was to say she wasn't eligible. IDK...can't always get into the head of an 18-year old
Old 10-17-2020, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Technically, but this is one of those “if you don’t turn it in we’ll close you anyway” deals. With all the chapters that are ok numbers and $ and RFM wise turning in their charters these days, let’s not get it twisted.

https://alphasigmatau.org/news-event...sN9dYz9ISTAUWE
I didn’t think of it that way.

Interesting which chapters they choose to close and which they don’t at SSHE schools. I know a rotation of chapters at SRU have gone through low numbers in the past 20 years, and they still have the same six.

The thing one can say is that tiers aren’t set in stone there!
Old 10-19-2020, 04:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
I don't know much about the Clarion/Edinboro/CalU stuff. The Bloomsburg/LHU/Mansfield "merger" isn't a merger. All three schools remain where they are at. Bloomsburg is the big school in this scenario, and will likely take over high level admin type stuff (think HR, Purchasing, etc.). Also, I believe they will eliminate majors at the smaller schools and merge them with similar majors available at Bloomsburg. I'd be shocked if they do anything with the Nursing major at all three schools, because Bloomsburg has one of the best nursing programs in the state. Like they get over 2,000 applicants and can only accept like 120.

I don't think the mergers will go as deep as we're all thinking. I asked our FSL if chapters at one school will become chapters at the others, and she said no. I guess we'll all see how this shit rolls downhill!
Old 10-19-2020, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I guess, if they start closing majors, it could effect GL. Students in that major would have to transfer. If you have a sorority or two where a lot of girls are in the same major, it could cause some problems.

Maybe they will phase out majors and let the current students graduate?