GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Up & Coming National GLOs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Up & Coming National GLOs This area is for discussion of issues affecting GLOs which are larger than a local, yet are still growing into a national GLO.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,415
0 members and 2,415 guests
No Members online

Old 05-20-2002, 09:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BootyKBG
Question pan-hel vs. non

I'm curious about pan-hel vs. non- pan-hel sorority relations on other campuses. We have had the option of whether or not we choose to join, and have decided against joining. Unfortunately, I forsee problems arising because of this (we are the only non- panhel social sorority on campus). We are, however, members of Greek Council, so we are not chosing to completely disassociate ourselves from other Greeks or anything like that. Does anyone else have experience with this?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-12-2002, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ONElove
HI Booty KBG....my chapter is facing a similar problem with the council on our campus. We do not wish to be aprt of the PHC and some people seem to have a problem with that. That isn't saying that we don't want to do programs and events with them but we would rather frm a multicultural council ...because we are in fact multicultural......
Old 06-15-2002, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree with you ONELOVE, we are having that problem with PHC on our campus too. They really want us to get an associate membership, but our Nationals is against it because of the fact that we are multicultural and some people associate PHC with historically white sororities. I really don't see a need to join PHC being that most of the NPC sororities on campus do not socialize with us and they don't even see that there is a need for multicultural sororities.
Old 06-15-2002, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Pardon me while I throw my .10 cents in.

There is always a need for a Governing body to set rules to run by.

While some feel that Nationally BGLOs and MGLOs are different, No they are not!

We as members of Greek Organizations are if not the same, we are similar in the High Ideals we show and profess.

In this day and age of anti-Greek, no one cares what color the Org is but that they have a Greek Designation.
Not all GLOs are alike, Not all BGLs are alike and not all MGLOs are alike, but we all have the same common thread!

Look to associate with each other to make the total a stronger core of people!

If it does not work out then drop it! Put you toe in teh water to see if it is to hot or to cold!

Seek and Ye shall Find!!!!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 08-07-2002, 06:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Shine
My sorority is also having similar problems. We are a national service sorority, but we're forced to have a clause that men can rush in our constitution unless we go Panhellenic. We already have the clause that men can rush, but it appears from the outside that we're excluding by sex, and that is against student organization rules at ASU. So somehow it works out that in-order to stay on-campus, we either have to go panhellenic, or be goverened under another council. An all-male service fraternity is considering banding together with us, and some multicultural organizations to create a Multicultural Council.

It's all complicated.
Old 08-07-2002, 09:21 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree Tom. Just because they're "historically white" doesn't mean they still discriminate in that regard. Jesus I know so many Asians Latinas and African Americans in PHC and are totally happy. They were "historically white" a very long time ago, I don't see why certain people can't get over it. If they WANT you in PHC I don't see what's so bad about joining them.

It's not like this is the case of "the man oppressing you". They WANT you in.
Old 08-07-2002, 09:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey I am a Latina and totally happy and proud to be in phi sigma sigma part pf PHC! And we have other latinas as well as asians and blacks join in the past and currently. Still, a lot of minorities feel that if they join a sorority or fraternity, it must be one of their race or culture. Especially at RU, the traditional black, latino, and asian greeks are large in numbers. I know some of my fellow hispanics thought I was a traitor for joining phi sig! But I was like I am joining a place that was FOUNDED ON DIVERSITY! Yes, traditionally they are the "white" sororities but NOT ANYMORE and haven't been for a really long time. So like some people need to get over it because if you hate on them, then your just as guilty of the prejudice and discrimination that you speak against.
Old 08-07-2002, 10:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Tom,

I thought that all of the councils were "coordinating" bodies, not governing bodies, and that the only rules that they adopt are for how their own meetings are to be run.

I can understand why an organization would not want to join. The "unanimous decisions" adopted by the members of the councils may not be in the best interest of smaller or newer orgs.

Shine, good luck on your efforts, sister in service.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
Pardon me while I throw my .10 cents in.

There is always a need for a Governing body to set rules to run by.

While some feel that Nationally BGLOs and MGLOs are different, No they are not!
Old 08-07-2002, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

And another thing. . .

There is a difference between joining an organization that actively celebrates multiculturalism as a founding principle. . .and organizations that uplift people of color as a founding principle. . .and then organizations which celebrate tolerance and diversity.

I'm not saying that these differences should keep people from the same council, but dang, let's not hate on them because they don't want to join it.
Old 08-07-2002, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dardenr

Shine, good luck on your efforts, sister in service.

Thanks! I've got a special place in my heart for you APO boys! Your men at Bowling Green started us, and we've flourished ever since!

If there wasn't an OPhiA on my campus, I definately would have gone APO, but I really wanted the sisterhood that a sorority entails as opposed to a co-ed fraternity!

Keep up the serving!

Old 08-07-2002, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dardenr
And another thing. . .

There is a difference between joining an organization that actively celebrates multiculturalism as a founding principle. . .and organizations that uplift people of color as a founding principle. . .and then organizations which celebrate tolerance and diversity.

I'm not saying that these differences should keep people from the same council, but dang, let's not hate on them because they don't want to join it.

I am glad that you recognize that difference because explaining that to people is getting a little old. I think if people didn't like the "Oh, you have ALWAYS been welcome to join our org." vs. "Oh you can join to too" ....Multicultural and ethnic orgs. would not be the FASTEST growing orgs.
Old 08-08-2002, 08:43 AM
GreekChat Member

That's Fine. If you wAnt to do your multicultural thing, then do it. But if you want to be treated liKE a real GLO, then you have to answer to the same governing bodies that we do.

The body that governs our ethnic GLOs is a joke. They do much worse things to their pledges and are far less organizaed in terms of events of any kind. But they want chapter houses and serious recognition. If that's going to happen then they need to answer to the same strict governing bodies that the real GLOs do.

It's not fair that some Asian frat breaks one of their pledges' legs and it's fine, but if a real fraternity just makes their pledges do push ups in front of their house, they go up for expulsion.
Old 08-08-2002, 10:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Whoa. Delta Sig Stan.

The things you just said are perfect examples of exactly what we're talking about.

#1. We are NOT fake GLO's. We are just as real as yours is, even if we have different ideals.

#2. Thanks for NOT paying attention, but ethnic GLO's and Multicultural GLO's are not even in the same ballpark. Ethnic GLO's are for ONE ethnicity be it African American, Hispanic or Asian. Multicultural GLO's promote diversity and accept members of all races.

#3. Try having less attitude next time. Insulting other people's fraternities and sororities isn't exactly a great way to make friends.

Old 08-08-2002, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Why should they have to answer to the same governing bodies we do? APhiO has managed fine for years without doing so.

In fact, aside from a national Latino organization, there is no national body that governs MCGLOs or ethnic GLOS. If there is one organized on your campus and it's a joke, that's too bad, sure. But not every local IFC or Panhel is operating well, either.

What about groups that are not yet eligible to join the national orgs, like Phi Sigma Rho or Ceres? What are they supposed to do in the interim?

What about groups like Theta Nu Xi? NPHC is (I believe) opposed to them being a member of local PHCs, and because of their rush structure they won't join Panhel. (Kind of hard to deal with things like quota and ceiling when part of your belief structure is to remain small.) Kind of puts them between a rock and a hard place, eh?

Now, I agree, these groups need as close a scrutiny from the school administration as any IFC fraternity gets. And it would probably strengthen them all if they were to form their own national organization. But they don't have to join a pre-existing one. If NPC, IFC and NPHC can't or won't meet their needs, they shouldn't be shoehorned to fit.

After all, saying, "NPC isn't for us because we want to remain small/take only engineers/etc." is quite different than, "NPC isn't for us because we want to get away with all the hazing we can!" If a group on your campus is doing it, I bet their nationals isn't all that thrilled either.
Old 08-08-2002, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SapphireSweetie
I think that everyone should respect every organization. No matter what their reasons are for founding, the fact that they share fraternal and sorority bonds that are similar to your own should be acknowledged. After all, aren't we all brothers and sisters in God's eyes? (Yeah I know I went there, but its the truth)