GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,139
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zabyanusasdo530
» Online Users: 1,159
1 members and 1,158 guests
KatieKate1244

Old 04-19-2010, 02:26 PM
Banned

Am I wrong for finding this hilarious. LOL.

As a dog lover who has owned a lot of hunting breed and large dogs since childhood, this is so normal to me. I only see it as a bad thing if they harm another family pet (which happened to us with a pet feret and rabbits) or someone else's pet.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not shocked or anything by my dog's antics. It does put you in a pickle every now and then, like when a dead duck is frozen solid to your deck and stuff. Or when an injured duck is running around the yard but can't fly out. You know if you let the dog out again, that duck will be killed by your dog. So you spend half a day trying to reach wildlife rescue/rehab people and can't find anybody who does ducks because the first guy only does mammals, then the bird lady doesn't do water fowl ,then the duck guy (finally!) has a busy phone number for hours on end.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Dee I love your animal stories!

I think next time (please hope not) it happens I won't be so grossed out. He found the remains and we threw them out, and I found the face of the rabbit (yeah, just the face. SICK) and peeled that off the grass. Thank God he didn't get near that. My vet today (he was already scheduled for his shots) said that a cat probably ran off with it. There is a cat that roams the neighborhood.

KLTC
Old 04-19-2010, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

My dog has made "friends" with poop while sitting on my chest on the couch. I looked down to see what he was snacking on and FREAKED out!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 04-19-2010, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
I trained my parent's dog, a BorderJack (border collie/jack russell mix). She's really cute, very sweet, small, and easy to train. Not terribly bright though. She loves to herd, so she regularly just chills on the back patio while my dad putters in his garage. Well one day, a little herd of squirrels decided to parade around the patio. Shadow gets up, goes over, and sniffs. All but one of the squirrels run away. It's down to the dog and the one lone ranger. She's just standing their swishing her tail and staring at the thing, it's staring back. Squirrel takes three hops. Shadow takes three hops. Squirrel swishes tail, Shadow swishes tail. So she reaches down and puts it in her mouth. And then just stands there. And the squirrel is still alive, but is stunned, so it lets out this squeak and that squeak sort of terrified Shadow, so she drops it. Squirrel runs away, and Shadow runs over to my dad and hides behind his legs. Ninny.

Before we adopted our new friend (pure Jack Russell), he was a stray. And what do JR's do? Chase vermin. And what falls in that category? Skunk. Ugh, he was such a little stinker when we brought him home and we couldn't bathe him because he had just had his *ahem* surgery. He had a visit to the groomer so his coat is under control and the smell is kinda gone...but when he gets wet, there's still a little eau de skunk.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

As far as the eau de skunk--do this--bathe (just take a washcloth) the an-e-mal with vinegar. Just plain vinegar-it will get the smell down so that you can deal with it.

Having a Catahoula (Blue Heeler) who sometimes loves to find skunkels-as we sometimes call them-he would (in his younger days-he's 16 going on 17-but won't really tell us his REAL age) find the skunks with a target. It would look like Iggy would do a search and rescue with them. But DAYMN!!!
The smell would come in the house before he would! We tried everything-until another friend of ours told us about the vinegar. Well, Iggy one day, found his friend-Pepe (as we called the skunks--because he never chased them away-but as his breed-tended to herd them up) and the smell arrived before he did. Well, we broke out with the vinegar-and it worked.

Now I must tell you, Iggy is a mutt that HAS, and I do mean H-A-S to sleep with someone every night. So going to bed with a funky smelling mutt isn't the thing anyone in their right mind wants to do. But his stinky butt, after being kicked off the bed, would sneak up on the bed at night. Now you and him are smelling skunkified! But after the vinegar--it worked. Have to do it everyday for about a week. Just every time you think about it and eventually, it will wear off.

Also, put cups/bowls of vinegar around the house until the skunk smell wears off of him and from around the house.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

PM-I'm not surprised that your dog would bring you her "friends" to show how good of a girl she was being. It happens.

When we moved here (to TX), we brought our dog, Wonder (yes, short for Wonder Woman-hey-I was 12 when I named her) to TX with us. Being from California, she could take anything! She loved and I do mean LOVED hanging out with the cows. The chickens, that was another story. The only live chicken she ever liked was a live dead one that she killed, but any other farm animal, she was Empress to them.

She'd never bother them, unless she was peeing and the calves would try to sneak upon her to see what she was doing. She'd then 1/2 snap at them, and they'd run to their mommy's. But she looked like a newborn calf.

But she too, had her friends. Now why she loved moles and possums, I don't know but she did. She'd take them, grab them by the middle and fling them like a football. Yes, I do mean fling those things like a football across the yard. She'd keep it up usually until we'd call her in the house. I believe that a couple of the moles she killed because she'd be playing with the carcass of the mole. I'd usually see the thing with ants all over it, try to move it, and she'd go out, find it, and the football game would begin.

Then we had Angel, after Bun Bun (Wonder) died. While Bun Bun was the empress of the farm, Angel was the Princess and she let you know it. She was cute, cuddly, and deathly afraid of thunderstorms. But she didn't like to eat "dog food" for that was for DOGS! She didn't like the cows--those were ANIMALS. She didn't really like PEOPLE, but she could ADJUST to them--and to add insult to injury, this heffa was mine!

When I went to college, she became my Mom's and was nicknamed Foolie by my brother--but she still knew that she was mine. But Foolie/Angel did have this one annoying as hell habit--she like to eat baby kittens. Usually within 1 to 2 weeks old.

At that time, we had around 40 cats on the farm. 20 at my aunts and 20 at my grandfather. Well, the 20 came from her indoor cat, Mickey Catch, that was supposedly spayed--yeah right! That was the most prolific spayed cat that I'd ever seen! Anyways, when there was a new litter born, my aunt had to hide the kittens before Angel found them because, yup, she'd literally eat them.

I don't know where she'd gotten that from, but until the old girl died, that was just one of her quirks.

Now my other dog, Buddy, he does have a thing for playing with the possums, kinda like Wonder, but he's still kinda skitchy.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:22 PM

My yorkies will chase anything out of the yard.

A few yaers back the female chased and caught a deer mouse in the yard, slung it around in her mouth and killed it. She unfortunately had blood all up in her hair and what not and had to get a bath afterwards...oh well. Better the mouse was killed outside my house than inside!

We now refer to her as "The Mouser."
Old 04-19-2010, 11:54 PM
GreekChat Member

My late but much-beloved kitty Nala used to bring me bird heads & lizard tails as presents. I've had to wash away many remains from my porch.

My other cat Bella brings in half-alive lizards. The latest one limped into the dining room before dying under the dining room table. I made Mike clean that up.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
No dog, but my cat has made "friends" with many a neighborhood mouse, bird, etc. Yes, she killed it. She's so sweet that she even brings them to the back patio door for us as presents.
My last cat used to do this, too! It was so funny. He would sit at our back door looking all kinds of sad that we weren't willing to open the door and accept his "gifts".

@~/~~~~
Old 04-21-2010, 02:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Since we're on the topic of animal friends, check this out for a story that will put a smile on your face: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBtFTF2ii7U