GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Social

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,721
3 members and 1,718 guests
speedsters

Old 12-08-2013, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOIILisa View Post
I haven't heard of it, but a lot of things like this never made it up to Maine where I went to school.

The only pearls I wear are on my badge, I'm partial to David Yurman jewelry.
I love the pearls on my badge. It gives me a reason to wear pearls in general.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

This was not a thing on my campus either. In fact, when I saw the title of the thread I was clueless and opened it out of curiosity. On my campus, if a non-Greek guy was that serious about his sorority girl friend, he either bought her a promise ring or an engagement ring.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
It seems fairly Southern. I'm Southern. My husband really has this idea of pearls= classy. I have a more modern jewelry aesthetic and don't find a reason to wear a string of pearls on any occasion. It took at least 6 years and multiple spurned offers to buy me pearls before he realized that I really didn't want them.
I agree about the Southern part. What's interesting to me though, though, is the idea that husbands get them for their wives. In my experience, girls always got them from their parents or grandparents, or maybe from their godparents, before they were married—usually when in college.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
I agree about the Southern part. What's interesting to me though, though, is the idea that husbands get them for their wives. In my experience, girls always got them from their parents or grandparents, or maybe from their godparents, before they were married—usually when in college.
I've had several pairs of cheap faux pearls in my life, including in college. My parents were not financially able to buy me a set of real pearls. My religion does not do godparents, either.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 12-09-2013, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I have some that belonged to someone who is now dead. I don't know that I've ever worn them, though.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

If you plan on keeping/wearing them in the future, you should have them checked by a jeweler. The thread can deteriorate over time and you could have a huge mess on your hands.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
I've had several pairs of cheap faux pearls in my life, including in college. My parents were not financially able to buy me a set of real pearls. My religion does not do godparents, either.
Fair points, and my experience on how women received strings of pearls is limited, and probably dated, to be sure. (And my religious tradition doesn't do godparents either, but I did have a friend or two who got pearls from godparents.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
The thread can deteriorate over time and you could have a huge mess on your hands.
Are you talking about pearls or about some conversations on GC?
Old 12-09-2013, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

hahahaha. I guess both!
Old 12-10-2013, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
If you plan on keeping/wearing them in the future, you should have them checked by a jeweler. The thread can deteriorate over time and you could have a huge mess on your hands.
I was once told to never wear any kind of hairspray or perfume around my neck when wearing pearls because it can also eat away at the pearls. I'm not sure if this is true or not but, it's something I am always aware of and I try to keep my real pearls in good condition.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it's less about the pearls and more the strand. The pearls SHOULD be individually knotted, so a break should only result in 1 pearl lost, but if it's not done that way, yes, one too many zaps with the hairspray and CRACK.... pearls everywhere.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
I have a set that I inherited from my grandmother, a set that I inherited from my mom, and a set that my brother bought for me as a "thank you" for handling my dad's estate.

I don't wear any of them.

Just not my thing. I'm going to save them and give them to my grand-daughters or daughters-in-law or something.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

In Hong Kong I fell in love with colored pearls. Own black and chocolate brown ones. Wear them often, with simple white t shirts. It works for me. Love them. Coveted the Tahitian pearls and these were an affordable knockoff. But those Tahitian pearls…sigh. Astronomical prices. Next lifetime.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 12-10-2013, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

My now-deceased great aunt worked at Macy's for something like 40 years...consequently had all sorts of beautiful things from Macy's bought for super cheap. She got me the most gorgeous pearl earrings, necklace and bracelet set that I wear whenever I'm going to fancy sorority events. They're very popular down here, but not so much back home.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Interesting article about pearls

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=126354&page=1
Old 12-12-2013, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

This thread made me decide to wear pearls today---just because.