GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,416
0 members and 1,416 guests
No Members online

Old 05-21-2012, 09:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation Ole Miss Rush

Hey y'all! So I hear GPA is super important at Ole Miss (as it should be) and if you're below a 3.0 you need to prepare to be cut. That being said, I have around a 2.9 with a 27 ACT score. I was out a good half of my sophomore year because I was really sick which dramatically hurt my GPA. I don't know if it's a good idea to tell them that though. I'm really really nervous because I really want to experience Greek Life at Ole Miss first hand. How high are my chances of being cut or not getting in a good sorority? Is being right below the 3.0 mark going to be that harmful to my rush? Help please!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-21-2012, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleMissBound View Post
Hey y'all! So I hear GPA is super important at Ole Miss (as it should be) and if you're below a 3.0 you need to prepare to be cut. That being said, I have around a 2.9 with a 27 ACT score. I was out a good half of my sophomore year because I was really sick which dramatically hurt my GPA. I don't know if it's a good idea to tell them that though. I'm really really nervous because I really want to experience Greek Life at Ole Miss first hand. How high are my chances of being cut or not getting in a good sorority? Is being right below the 3.0 mark going to be that harmful to my rush? Help please!!
No one here can tell you what your chances are.

All sororities at Ole Miss are "good."
Old 05-21-2012, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Since you need 2 recs per chapter at Ole Miss, be sure your rec writers know that you were ill for part of the time and that impacted your grades. They can include that in their recs and, hopefully, someone will take notice.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Junior
GPA < 3.0
Ole Miss
Wants only one of the "good" sororities.

This has got to be a joke or a troll.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not a junior, I'm an incoming freshman. My mind is open to all the sororities, I don't know enough about the Greek system at Ole Miss to know good from bad. I just mean to say how likely I would be to be cut from a sorority I like or how my GPA is going to affect my rush. That's really all I was hoping to know.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:44 AM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=OleMissBound;214744 How high are my chances of being cut or not getting in a good sorority? [/QUOTE]

We only know what you say - not what you mean to say. However, we can tell you that it is possible that this will negatively effect you with every group. As I said before, get 2 recs for each group and let the rec write explain your situation. Look your best and relax. That's all we can tell you.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Row View Post
Junior
GPA < 3.0
Ole Miss
Wants only one of the "good" sororities.

This has got to be a joke or a troll.
No, she means her sophomore year of high school.

Which she (and her GPA) has had two years to recover from. And should have.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleMissBound View Post
I'm not a junior, I'm an incoming freshman. My mind is open to all the sororities, I don't know enough about the Greek system at Ole Miss to know good from bad. I just mean to say how likely I would be to be cut from a sorority I like or how my GPA is going to affect my rush. That's really all I was hoping to know.
My daughter is an incoming freshman at Ole Miss as well and will be going through recruitment. There is a very good thread here already that has a good deal of information about Ole Miss recruitment. You can find it using the search feature.

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=125443

Also, you will find that your question regarding GPA is addressed by the Ole Miss Office of Greek Affairs.

http://dos.orgsync.com/greek_guide_to_joining

My understanding, mainly from my daughter, is that all of the sororities at Ole Miss are wonderful and provide a great Greek life experience. Just keep an open mind...no preconceived notions...and look for where you "fit" best rather than looking at someone else's opinion of the chapters. Right now, focus on getting your recs and learning about the recruitment process and let the chapters speak for themselves during recruitment.

Best of luck at Ole Miss and during recruitment.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerdeltaz View Post
Also, you will find that your question regarding GPA is addressed by the Ole Miss Office of Greek Affairs.

http://dos.orgsync.com/greek_guide_to_joining

PLEASE tell me that page wasn't written by someone educated at Ole Miss.

"We have a differed Formal Recruitment that means that the date for recruitment is after school starts."
Old 05-22-2012, 10:28 AM

Considering that's the only goof I see, it is an actual word, and they are nice enough to say "get your freaking rec letters if you know what's good for you" ...I'll cut them some slack. In other words, I don't think anyone believes that's how you spell deferred.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Keep in mind that you will be fighting for a bid from girls who have been preparing for rush their entire teenage lives, or longer, and many MANY will have perfect 4.0 GPA. You must go above and beyond all other expectations in order to shine!

Please let us know how it turns out.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGTess View Post
PLEASE tell me that page wasn't written by someone educated at Ole Miss.

"We have a differed Formal Recruitment that means that the date for recruitment is after school starts."
You scared me DGTess! I thought I must have a typo in my original post. You can imagine my relief when I determined that it was an Ole Miss Greek Life Orgsync page that slaughtered the word "deferred." Surely the person who uploaded that text is not a liberal arts major.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

swerve/

Is that really "slaughtered," though?

/swerve

Old 05-22-2012, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

K_S in my humble BA opinion, "differ" and "defer" are worlds apart from one another. It is my job to quibble over the meaning of a phrase on a daily basis, so I may especially biased, and perhaps I am overreacting.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
swerve/

Is that really "slaughtered," though?

/swerve
swerve/

Perhaps since it is called deferred sorority recruitment and not called differed sorority recruitment. They also mean different things.

Perhaps not since deferred sorority recruitment is differed from non-deferred sorority recruitment. I'm dizzy.

A lot of people and even many PNMs can figure out what it is supposed to be. Even a Google search for "differed sorority recruitment" gives you "deferred sorority recruitment"--yeah, I did the search. LOL. It just sucks when official publications and documents have errors regardless of how big or small. Not like my opinion matters, though.

/swerve

Last edited by DrPhil; 05-22-2012 at 03:41 PM.