GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Zeta > Zeta Tau Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 2,277
1 members and 2,276 guests
Sister Havana
Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
Question for those who know more about this: Is there a set time limit for colonization? Could they have recruited for longer say into next Fall? Not saying they should have done so, just curious to know more about the process.
Oftentimes, yes there is a time limit. Staying longer than planned could be cost prohibitive when you consider the staffing needed for an extension. The cost of each consultant is food, lodging, salary, not to mention the other expenses like promotional material, advertisement, events, etc. You also need to consider staffing needs elsewhere, be it another extension or chapter visits.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgeguy View Post
I have read and followed this thread with interest. It is sad on both ends to me in that both ZTA will not have another chapter added to their rolls yet, and the women at Tulane will have to find other groups to associate with. As someone who loves history I find this topic ironic in that back in the day when all of our groups were being founded, the stories of how early chapters got started usually by just having one or two members going to a school and attracting only a couple (sometimes more) people to start a new chapter.....now it's up to having almost 200?!? Wow.

When I was a founding father of the Kappa Sigma chapter at the University of Cincinnati we only needed 30. That was in 1994.....

Anyway, I hope it all works out for both the sorority and the women....

BG
There were fewer than TEN women enrolled at Indiana Asbury when Bettie Locke Hamilton formed Kappa Alpha Theta (not positive but it was either six or nine).

Can't compare (past to present, fraternities to sororities). Won't work.

Bottom line: ZTA was not able to offer membership to their required number of qualified women, based on their membership selection criteria, which is private.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 03-14-2013, 02:56 PM
Banned

Oh. Sorry, wasn't trying to compare, just stating how times have changed....
I know there is no comparison between then and now. It's amazing to see how much organizations have grown!

Thanks
Bg
Old 03-14-2013, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

No problem BG! got it!!! When we think about how hard it was 150 years ago (thinking of Pi Phi, ADPi, Phi Mu) to get things going, it is amazing, huh? But then, the population today - the college enrollment - blah blah blah.

Speaking of founding, thinking of scholarship ... connecting the dots.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 03-14-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
Question for those who know more about this: Is there a set time limit for colonization? Could they have recruited for longer say into next Fall? Not saying they should have done so, just curious to know more about the process.
I'm pretty sure there is not a time limit set by the NPC (we have talked about some drrrraaaawwwwnnnn oooouuuuut colonizations on here). Whether ZTA or Tulane set a time limit officially or unofficially is another story.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Colonies cost a lot of money! Just within the last 10 years I think they've sped this process up an amazing amount. Not long ago a semester long colony was (I think) the norm. Now it's weeks. If they didn't attract the girls they wanted and felt like they would be working at a deficit right out of the shoot, we're talking about thousands of dollars extra that would need to be spent.

And I think, just my opinion, that certain sororities have a reputation they have to meet right out of the gate. ZTA is so big all over the south that going in as bottom rung would be seen as a bigger failure than if a Phi Sig or other northern sorority did. I mean, what would you expect out of a fish out of water sorority? Of course it's going to take them time to get established. I don't know that ZTA would have been given the same grace period.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

There are tons of reasons that a sorority might decide not to proceed with colonization and we'll probably never know why Zeta did so at Tulane. As strong as Zeta is, they must have had major signals that it wasn't going to work. Quién sabe?

I recall a fairly recent story about 2 groups that were selected to present at a large Southern university. Now the third group apparently knew this ahead of time but the other 2 were shocked to see that a majority of the girls at their presentation were Goth/alternative types. These dozens of girls had decided that they were going to be the "alternative" sorority. Group 3 was okay with this.

Groups 1 and 2 didn't want to deal with the ongoing problems that an alternative chapter can have. They put their heads together and gave very "blonde" presentations. As they hoped, group 3, with their presentation tailored for these girls, was selected. The chapter still exists but is very unlike the others and is much smaller than the rest. They're lucky because a chapter like that would struggle at most big Southern schools.

Anyway, I have no idea what the girls at Tulane were like but I wanted to throw in this story to show that something other than numbers or grades or anything else you'd normally expect can be the dealbreaker.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Thats an interesting story, carnation.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I recall a fairly recent story about 2 groups that were selected to present at a large Southern university. Now the third group apparently knew this ahead of time but the other 2 were shocked to see that a majority of the girls at their presentation were Goth/alternative types. These dozens of girls had decided that they were going to be the "alternative" sorority. Group 3 was okay with this.

Groups 1 and 2 didn't want to deal with the ongoing problems that an alternative chapter can have. They put their heads together and gave very "blonde" presentations. As they hoped, group 3, with their presentation tailored for these girls, was selected. The chapter still exists but is very unlike the others and is much smaller than the rest. They're lucky because a chapter like that would struggle at most big Southern schools.
It's nice to know that group #3 actually cared about giving these "alternative" girls a sisterhood where they would feel welcome and is OK with being smaller instead of just condeming them. As long as you aren't biting off more than you can chew with a ginourmous house, the only reason smaller chapters have a bad sorority experience is usually because their national$ are con$tantly telling them they suck because they're smaller. It's hard to rush successfully when the people who you pay dues to, ostensibly to lift you up, are always putting you down.

Last edited by 33girl; 03-14-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

I don't see where groups 1 and 2 were any worse for not wanting an alternative chapter than any other group is for deciding they're not interested in a certain group of girls. I don't see why 1 and 2 would've wanted to spend millions of dollars on a chapter that would always struggle--and they do--in many ways.

I don't think of Group 3 as being noble. One of their alums told several of us that really, what they wanted was a chapter on that campus and they hoped to gradually change the group. A few years out and that really hasn't happened.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
It's nice to know that group #3 actually cared about giving these "alternative" girls a sisterhood where they would feel welcome and is OK with being smaller instead of just condeming them. As long as you aren't biting off more than you can chew with a ginourmous house, the only reason smaller chapters have a bad sorority experience is usually because their national$ are con$tantly telling them they suck because they're smaller. It's hard to rush successfully when the people who you pay dues to, ostensibly to lift you up, are always putting you down.
Agreed!
Old 03-14-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
I don't see where groups 1 and 2 were any worse for not wanting an alternative chapter than any other group is for deciding they're not interested in a certain group of girls.
Because they decided from the outset (with apparently very little interaction with the women in question) that a chapter full of girls who happen to like black makeup etc would not be committed to their values, excellent fundraisers, great students or otherwise good sisters. As I said, if they don't go all out and buy a house they will never fill - if in effect they are OK with being a smaller chapter, much in the way that SDT does on several campi - who cares? It seems that 1 and 2 were far more concerned with initial appearances than with what the women would actually give back to the group.

Quote:
I don't think of Group 3 as being noble. One of their alums told several of us that really, what they wanted was a chapter on that campus and they hoped to gradually change the group. A few years out and that really hasn't happened.
Was this alum a national councillor/decisionmaker of any sort at the time? Or just someone shooting off her mouth and clutching her pearls? If this was really the case, the group would have probably bait-and-switched before they even chartered, rather than waiting for the horrible Bauhaus* fans to even sport their letters for a millisecond.

*Yes I'm old.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

This alum is a regional officer whom I've known for years. She's hardly a pearl-clutcher and I've got to say, this woman has tried everything with this group.

The chapter doesn't do "excellent fundraisers". It's hard getting them to do much of anything because the girls don't appreciate being asked to do them or much that's social either. After all, they were going to be the un-sorority! This chapter has been a total frustration for their nationals. Getting a house is on hold.

You think it's all about the black makeup? No, it was the attitude that went with the makeup. Those of us who have been around for awhile have seen what usually happens with un-sororities around her because their dislike of traditional sorority life makes them not want to participate in the usual Greek life (we can't figure out why they even wanted to pledge). This gets around and those groups often get disastrous recruitment results.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
This alum is a regional officer whom I've known for years. She's hardly a pearl-clutcher and I've got to say, this woman has tried everything with this group.

The chapter doesn't do "excellent fundraisers". It's hard getting them to do much of anything because the girls don't appreciate being asked to do them or much that's social either. After all, they were going to be the un-sorority! This chapter has been a total frustration for their nationals. Getting a house is on hold.

You think it's all about the black makeup? No, it was the attitude that went with the makeup. Those of us who have been around for awhile have seen what usually happens with un-sororities around her because their dislike of traditional sorority life makes them not want to participate in the usual Greek life (we can't figure out why they even wanted to pledge). This gets around and those groups often get disastrous recruitment results.
Maybe they need to be assisted by someone who is a little more open-minded, instead of someone who thinks there's only one way to be a successful sorority - even in (gasp) THE SOUTH.

Well, thanks anyway for making those 150 girls at Tulane happy that they're not going to be in a sorority.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Well GCers, this is what I was talking about. I'm acquainted enough with the un-sorority's doings that I know what has occurred and that they have cost their national buttloads of money and pain. 33 doesn't know the situation and can only make assumptions.

Same with Tulane. Something (some things?) told ZTA that the situation wasn't going to work out. Maybe it was numbers or scholastics or something we haven't dreamed of. *Zeta is there, we're not, so I wouldn't begin to make assumptions about what happened.*
Closed Thread