GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,367
2 members and 1,365 guests
LaneSig, TLLK

Old 08-13-2008, 07:35 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnMom08 View Post
Oh and the Pi Chi told them that they need to be prepared, that round was the biggest cuts.

She told me "mom, this is killing my ego" and "you know, I'll be okay if I don't get in, I just don't like the fact that everyone will be whispering about me not getting in, like I'm a leper or something!" LOL poor girls. My heart breaks for every mom and daughter who has to go thru this rejection on the grandest of stages.
Rejection is one thing, but maybe she shouldn't have an ego to begin with. She shouldn't have to worry what others think of her. Why even bother?

Just sayin'.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

She's 19...don't all 19 year olds worry about what others think? Maybe not but I sure did! I wish I hadn't!
Old 08-13-2008, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I know how you feel AuburnMom08. I finally heard from my daughter late this afternoon. She feels good about her situation, but I think she realizes that cuts will be deep and that she may not get invited back to all of her favorites. I think she surprised herself, and me, with some of her picks today and others that she decided to list as her top six.

I too will be on pins and needles until the morning. Hopefully she'll have time to at least send me a text message before the parties start tomorrow. LOL
Old 08-13-2008, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
Rejection is one thing, but maybe she shouldn't have an ego to begin with. She shouldn't have to worry what others think of her. Why even bother?

Just sayin'.
This kind of recruitment really does kind of make you nuts as a participant. You could be the healthiest, most well adjusted person, and it's still hard.

School hasn't even started. It's all you are doing from when you wake up until when you go to sleep in some cases. Everyone you see is participating in it some way. It messes with your head. You forget that once it's over thousands of other people show up on campus, many of whom won't even know if you participated unless you tell them.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, and I forgot to say again, AuburnMom08, good luck to your daughter tomorrow. She sounds like a wonderful girl with a great attitude that would be an asset to any sorority at AU.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
She's 19...don't all 19 year olds worry about what others think? Maybe not but I sure did! I wish I hadn't!
It's sad that she feels like people will be 'whispering about her like a leper or something."

In all reality (and I'm sure you know this as moms), once recruitment is over and school starts, Auburn will be filled with the other 70ish% of women who aren't in sororities and wouldn't bat an eyelash if she said she went through rush and didn't get a bid because they don't care.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Remind her that in the future when she isn't hired for that perfect job that she wants, people are not "whispering about her like a leper or something".

Rejection is part of life. Recruitment prepares you for that.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh definitely. I told her that no matter what happens classes begin Monday and she will make new friends, sorority or not.

Thanks, AUmom, good luck to your daughter too! I know mine will text me or call me depending on what happens. If I get a phone call its probably bad news but if she texts me that usually means she doesn't have time to talk. I'll update you all who have asked me about her as soon as i hear!
Old 08-13-2008, 08:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
It's sad that she feels like people will be 'whispering about her like a leper or something."

In all reality (and I'm sure you know this as moms), once recruitment is over and school starts, Auburn will be filled with the other 70ish% of women who aren't in sororities and wouldn't bat an eyelash if she said she went through rush and didn't get a bid because they don't care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
Remind her that in the future when she isn't hired for that perfect job that she wants, people are not "whispering about her like a leper or something".

Rejection is part of life. Recruitment prepares you for that.
Yeah, but it's hard to keep perspective when you are in the midst of the process. Imagine having to go back and interact with the same applicant pool for that perfect job for four more days after they cut you loose but kept some of the others.

If she still feels like this in September, then yeah, it's nutty, but right now, to tell your mom? Maybe not.

(Your mom posting it on the internet may be a separate issue; just something to keep in mind, moms. Would she like it if she knew you had reported these particular thoughts?)
Old 08-13-2008, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

No, she would die if she knew I was posting here. I would edit it out but someone has quoted me above and I can't edit that. Yikes...guess I won't be posting any bid day photos.

Thanks for the support, UGAalum, as an SEC girl I know that you know what a big deal this is down here!
Old 08-13-2008, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
This kind of recruitment really does kind of make you nuts as a participant. You could be the healthiest, most well adjusted person, and it's still hard.

School hasn't even started. It's all you are doing from when you wake up until when you go to sleep in some cases. Everyone you see is participating in it some way. It messes with your head. You forget that once it's over thousands of other people show up on campus, many of whom won't even know if you participated unless you tell them.
Yeah, we got the keys to her apartment at 4:00 Saturday and the pre-recruitment meeting was at 6:00. She didn't slow down for a minute until today when she didn't have any parties. Rush is all she has known since getting to Auburn!
Old 08-13-2008, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I like you Auburnmom08 and AUmom 08! You're just two honest moms who love your daughters and are using this forum to vent your feelings! Better you talk about your feelings here, then unload on your daughters!
Benzgirl - as far as not getting that dream job...right; but most likely she will be slightly older than 18 or 19 when she applies! think back to when we were 18- if we didn't have the right color shirt on, it could be the end of the world! We all know it is part of growing up, but it still tugs at a mom's heart when her daughter (or son) is hurt!
Old 08-13-2008, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
No, she would die if she knew I was posting here. I would edit it out but someone has quoted me above and I can't edit that. Yikes...guess I won't be posting any bid day photos.

Thanks for the support, UGAalum, as an SEC girl I know that you know what a big deal this is down here!

No no no! We LOVE bid day pics - they have their own thread. Just post pics of the entire pledge class!

Good luck to all your daughters!
Old 08-13-2008, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

TM,
I was raised a lot tougher than you think.

Would I care if I didn't have on the right color at 18? Hell no. I probably did it purposely. I was brought up to challenge the status quo, and I would killed my mother if she had participated in Smotherhood.

Of course it would tug on my mother's heart of I was hurt. But, I didn't let things bother me because I realized that life is tough at an early age. And, I thank my parents who raised me to be independent. It has helped to contribute to my success today.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
Yeah, but it's hard to keep perspective when you are in the midst of the process. Imagine having to go back and interact with the same applicant pool for that perfect job for four more days after they cut you loose but kept some of the others.

If she still feels like this in September, then yeah, it's nutty, but right now, to tell your mom? Maybe not.
Well put. AuburnMom08's daughter is having normal feelings for a 19 year old in an SEC recruitment.