GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi Omega

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 949
2 members and 947 guests
chi-o_cat, indygphib

Old 12-09-2003, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Paddles?

It was brought up as an idea that our pledges should make paddles from now on. As the incoming pledgemom I'm not sure about this.

What is your thought on this?
Does your chapter make paddles?

Thanks for the input!
Old 12-09-2003, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Greetings,

In Mu Alpha Chapter, the "pledge book" is an integral part of the pledge process. Please PM me and I can tell you the rest and how it relates to paddles.
Old 12-10-2003, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Paddles?

Quote:
Originally posted by EGDeepher
It was brought up as an idea that our pledges should make paddles from now on. As the incoming pledgemom I'm not sure about this.

What is your thought on this?
Does your chapter make paddles?

Our chapter does not make paddles, but with our recent pledge class, the class presented their pledgemaster with a memento paddle at the end, and two littles who had the same big presented their big with a paddle.

What I have seen with some chapters:

Paddles will be presented by littles to their bigs as a memento after iniation.

Paddles will be presented by the pledge class to their pledgemaster as a memento after initiation.

Pledge class will create a paddle as a memento of their class.

Pledges must carry a paddle presented by their big with them at all times and use it to gather signatures.

Most seem to try to have it be a fun and valued symbol of their time as a pledge.

Hope this helps
Section 71 Chair
Old 12-10-2003, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

After big/little week here, the littles and the bigs go to the greek store in State College and make the paddle for the little together. Its a good way to build a bond between the big and the little as well as get a requirement done in a fun way. I've seen lots of different paddles as well as unconventional ones. One of the families in our chapter makes unusual paddles from books to skateboards to teddy bears to neck pillows (funny story behind that one). Good luck with your decision.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blueGBI
After big/little week here, the littles and the bigs go to the greek store in State College and make the paddle for the little together. Its a good way to build a bond between the big and the little as well as get a requirement done in a fun way. I've seen lots of different paddles as well as unconventional ones. One of the families in our chapter makes unusual paddles from books to skateboards to teddy bears to neck pillows (funny story behind that one). Good luck with your decision.
That reminds me.

In the past the chapter I've worked with did a big-little event where the bigs & little worked on making key chain paddles for the littles. This was a very successful event, but for some reason we weren't able to schedule it this past semester.

With the chapter that has the pledges carry paddles for signature, different families would use certain paddle shapes, and usually have some emblem on the paddle for that family.
Section 71 Chair
Old 12-15-2003, 01:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to pirate00 Send a message via Yahoo to pirate00
In my chapter, one week after Initiation, we hold a paddle/letter exchange. A pledge presents his/her big brother with a "paddle" (It can be anything: paddle, picture frame, block of wood, spice rack, etc) as long as it has on it the following: Alpha Phi Omega, pledge class name and semester, your name, your big bro's name, and our Fraternity's crest.

In exchange, the pledge receives his/her letters along with other Fraternity paraphernalia (key chains, jewelery boxes, car decals, etc.).

Then, the pledgemaster recieves a large paddle given by the entire pledge class commemorating their service in that office. My class gave our pledgemaster a paddle in the shape of the front of a doghouse, because she loves dogs. The next semester's pledgemaster got one in the shape of a yellow rose, as it was her favorite flower.

No matter what you do or how you celebrate your new brothers crossing over into your world, do it with style, love, and care.
Old 12-15-2003, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gamma_girl52 Send a message via Yahoo to gamma_girl52
Pirate where the HAYLE have you been man!?

"Life is filled with many things to Befriend, Love, and Serve..."
Old 12-15-2003, 01:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to pirate00 Send a message via Yahoo to pirate00
Somewhere, lost in the ether. Guess I forgot how to use a kompewter Sorry about the absence, but I'm back!! I've missed you all, especially you, gammagirl. Behind every successful bruh stands his sister.
Old 12-15-2003, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Or even beSIDE....
Old 12-15-2003, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gamma_girl52 Send a message via Yahoo to gamma_girl52
*hijack*

Awwww feel the love! I love my brothers!!!

*end of hijack*

Hey pirate I just sent you a PM. I noticed something on your sig that caught my eye so holla back.

"Life is filled with many things to Befriend, Love, and Serve..."
Old 12-16-2003, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Back when I was a pledge, we had small paddles that we got signatures on. I still have mine somewhere...my fellow pledges signed it, and the exec committee signed it too. For the exec committee's signatures, you had to do something different before each person would sign it. (for example: get a pic taken with your big for the membership VP's signature, go to a service committee meeting for the VP of Service's signature, etc.) Nowadays that would probably be considered hazing.

In addition, graduating seniors were presented with paddles (large paddles with the crest on them and stuff) at the banquet at the end of each semester. Mine hangs above my bed.