GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 1,478
1 members and 1,477 guests
Sciencewoman
Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

my recruitment experience so far

hey im a freshman rushing at a large midatlantic school. i wanted to share my rush experience so far.

Round 1: open house
friday night
pink - they were okay, nice girls, didnt really click with the girls i talked to
green - didnt like at all
purple - liked and knew some of the girls
teal - absolutely loved!!!! my favorite sorority met the president who said she had heard about me from my cousin and later told my cousin she loved me. still keeping an open mind tho

saturday
blue - talked to one girl the whole time and conversation was a little dead. lots of awkward silences
yellow - liked the girl i talked to but they lost social priveleges on campus
orange - heard theyre not popular on campus but liked the girl i talked to
red - liked them even though they seemed a little fake
white - hated. did not fit in with the girls at all

sunday morning got invited back to:
pink
purple
teal
blue
orange
red
white

sunday afternoon:
pink - really connected with the girl i talked to. she lives in the same town as my roommate and worked at my uncles restaurant over the summer. did greek week with my best friends frat
purple - really liked. the president kept coming over to talk to me and at one point i had three girls around me. talked to probably 8 girls and saw two girls that i met at the beginning of fall semster.

i go back to teal, blue, orange, red and white later today. really excited to go to pink and red. want to end up in pink, red, purple. will update when i get out of rush around 10:30 please offer your opinions!!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-11-2007, 03:47 PM

Best of luck to you! Some advice though:

* Keep an open mind because you never know who may or may not invite you back next round.

* About the whole "the president told my cousin she loved me" thing. She very well might have said that- but membership decisions are based on the entire sorority. I just would advise you not to take that compliment to mean "oh my gosh I am SO in" because with anything in recruitment, you never know what could happen and should you not be invited back to them, that makes for some hurt feelings.

* I also would try not to let campus reputation and stuff like "OMG I heard this sorority is like this or like that" influence your opinions. You are rushing to join the best sorority for YOU. Not the one that is most popular or something like that. I've seen girls get into the sorority that is "most popular"and then dropout later because they were totally unhappy.

Just some stuff to think about! I hope things turn out well for you.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 02-11-2007 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Have fun!
Old 02-11-2007, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

wise advice from ksuviolet06. heed it.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Best of luck to you! Some advice though:

* About the whole "the president told my cousin she loved me" thing. She very well might have said that- but membership decisions are based on the entire sorority. I just would advise you not to take that compliment to mean "oh my gosh I am SO in" because with anything in recruitment, you never know what could happen and should you not be invited back to them, that makes for some hurt feelings.

Very true, and teh fact that she is the president does not mean that she has more influence in membership selection.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Denise_DPhiE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Very true, and teh fact that she is the president does not mean that she has more influence in membership selection.
The president may have LESS influence as she may not even cast a vote.

Since this is deferred recruitment, I can see how you would have opiniosn already about some but I do caution you to keep an open mind. If you are keeping one, it isn't showing through in your thoughts you have submitted here.

Since you have some strong negative comments, I would not reveal the groups names later. Should you become a new member of any fo the groups, your comments here can come back to haunt you later.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

teal - LOVED! def my top choice
blue - really liked it this time. the girl i talked to first round wasn't a good representation of the sorority .. talked to a girl in my major and met a bunch of girls
orange - nice girls but couldnt see myself fitting in there
red - loved them today. they are not fake at all it was just a rumor. really liked all the girls that i talked to. have some friends in here. second choice def.
white - gave them a second chance but still couldnt see myself fitting in here.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

glad you are keeping your options open. continued good luck!
Old 02-12-2007, 01:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm probably in the minority, but I don't think the comments are overly rude. I personally don't feel PNM's should "cough up" to what the houses are at the end. (Mainly because the PNM's are sharing their story with their opinions. We might not always agree but we aren't her and we don't know what she is seeing. Or even how she is feeling. Unfortunately in today's society people tend to take things much more personally, so that's why I don't care if they "list" what house represents whichever code name). Just my opinion.

The good thing is that she is (from the sounds of it) keeping an open mind. It sounds, to me, that she is aware of the rumors and isn't letting them effect her decision.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 02-14-2007, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

got my invites back for the third round: philanthropy

got invited back to:
teal
red
orange
pink
Old 02-14-2007, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

good for you- are you able to attend them all, or did you have to decline some invitations? when is the philanthrophy round?
Old 02-15-2007, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

philanthropy is tomorrow friday feb 16 and saturday feb 17. i can attend all 4, the max is 5 but i didnt get invites back from 5. my top 2 sororities are still in the 4 i have left. is there anything you guys reccommend saying that would let the girls know that im really interested in their sorority that may help my chances of getting invited back for preference without sounding obsessed?
Old 02-15-2007, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacavazzini View Post
Is there anything you guys reccommend saying that would let the girls know that im really interested in their sorority that may help my chances of getting invited back for preference without sounding obsessed?

Honestly, just continue being yourself. If you were to start being overly "OMG I LOVE YOUR SORORITY SO MUCH AND I HOPE YOU INVITE ME BACK!" the sororities would get kind of creeped out. My best advice is to just keep smiling, be genuinely interested in learning about the different philanthropies, and be attentive during conversation (you don't want to send off rude vibes by looking like you aren't listening to someone).

Also, keep and open mind about every chapter you're visiting.

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
I'm glad you like your choices that you have left.

I would make sure that they know that your having a good time and having fun.

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 02-15-2007, 10:09 PM
GreekChat Member

i mentioned this before but i wanted to know if this helps me at all .. my cousin is an active in my top sorority .. if i've made it through to the third round(philanthropy), would you guys feel bad about dropping a senior active's cousin or giving her a bad comment on her review?
Closed Thread