GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,206
2 members and 1,204 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 07-17-2011, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

The new rankings come out in September. It will be interesting to see what will happen with some of the flagship universities that are suffering from huge budget deficits.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football Fan View Post
The new rankings come out in September. It will be interesting to see what will happen with some of the flagship universities that are suffering from huge budget deficits.
Things won't change that much in a year. At this level, the schools primarily trade positions. Harvard, Yale, and Princeton are always in some iteration in the top 3. For the rest of the Top 25, their reputations are set in stone. Reed's ranking fell only because their administration decided not to play the game anymore and stopped sending information.

Much of the criteria, like alumni giving to law or medical schools, has nothing to do with academic performance at the undergraduate level.

There are only 3 state schools in the top 25, and I don't see them going anywhere. States won't cut much funding to their flagships--especially those with international reputations (and students paying full-freight) like UCLA and Berkeley. NY State's not cutting Cornell's piece of the pie for its publicly funded schools.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

If you accept that the US News ranking is an indicator of academic prestige...

then it would seem that strong academics and the large, competitive, (and southern-style??) recruitment culture (at least on the Panhellenic side) seem to be incompatible. (Forgive me if I just mean Panhellenic/IFC when I say Greek in this post, but those are the two aspects of Greek life I am familiar with to comment on.)

Only SC comes to mind, and I guess UVA, WF, possibly UCLA, maybe even Northwestern and Cornell

With all the benefits that greek life has to offer I would have hoped this was less the case. Is this more the Administration culture of being Anti-Greek (like at Stanford and most of the Ivies?); or just generally that the students who go to these schools not interested in going Greek ? Does that speak for the diversity of university demographics these days, that many students may be first generation students, or that they are from backgrounds which were not the traditions/stereotypically Greek upbringing? So they really just don't know enough about Greek life beyond (negative) media representations to be interested in it when they get to college?

I do know from personal experience that in its bid to raise their academic profile and shed its party school image, SC administration has increasingly tightened its grip on the Row. But Greeks do still hold many leadership positions across campus. And Order of Omega and Gamma Sigma Alpha (a Greek Academic Honours Society, that was founded at USC) are going strong year on year.
So it is possible to balance the social with the academics. Isn't the skill to balance ones life and time management one of the things going Greek teaches you to excel at?

Granted in the current economic climate, and possibly an increasing number of students who are going to university on some sort of part scholarships who may not have the spare cash for dues, may also have an effect, as a lot of the schools on the list are private institutions.

Sorry there are a lot of assumptions in this post, this is really just my lazy sunday evening reaction.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28StGreek View Post
If you accept that the US News ranking is an indicator of academic prestige...
Which for many is a big if.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Which for many is a big if.
Oh I do know, which is why I began the post with that caveat.

However the questions I ask are genuine. That has been a talking point during recruitment the past few years, how the incoming class at SC is very different in year past and the Row will have to adjust their perceptions and adapt to the changing profile that is the USC student. Of course the feeder populations of the Beach Cities, PV and Orange County still exist, but its becoming a much smaller proportion. On a side note, I believe there has also been an growing trend of students coming from Texas, and they have the largest out-of-state population of the student body.

Last edited by 28StGreek; 07-17-2011 at 11:04 PM. Reason: fixing a typo
Old 07-17-2011, 11:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28StGreek View Post
On a side note, I believe there has also been an growing trend of students coming from Texas, and they have the largest out-of-state population of the student body.

Hide the guns and the good silverware.

<---nothing else to contribute
Old 07-20-2011, 11:45 PM
GreekChat Member

USC Diversity

A recent study indicated USC was the most ethnically diverse private university in the U.S. Next was Columbia. I recently read the university is the most economically diverse private research university. It was third last year in the number of National Merit Scholars attending.

Data from the National Merit Corporation....National Merit Scholars chose the following universities to enroll: The top four are listed here.

For 2010....

Univ. of Chicago------268

Harvard University------261

Univ. of Southern California------250

Northwestern University------227

The class that entered in 2010 had representation from 1,397 high schools/prep schools around the world and well over 100 countries. There are 80 religious groups recognized on campus.

Last year 53% of the freshmen came from California. The next states were: Texas, Illiniois, New York, Washington and Massachusetts.

Last edited by Football Fan; 07-29-2011 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Added information....
Old 07-22-2011, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

International students going Greek??

Thanks for the information Football Fan, you always have interesting SC-related stuff to share.

Quote:
The class that entered in 2010 had representation from 1,397 high schools/prep schools around the world and well over 100 countries.
I wonder if SC's large international student population translates in a larger international greek population than most other schools. If they even keep track of that statistic. I am trying to remember if those forms we fill out for the Greek Awards packet has a question specifically about international students.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:57 PM
GreekChat Member

28thStreet,

It is speculation, but my guess would be yes. Many of the international students have parents who are in the U.S. military or in the diplomatic service. Even though they are U.S. citizens some students have never lived in the United States.

Keep in mind SC has alumni clubs around the world, 18 now in Asia. I do know of Greek women who are from Canada, England and some European countries. It would be interesting if Panhellenic did keep a record of international students in the chapters.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
28thStreet,

It is speculation, but my guess would be yes. Many of the international students have parents who are in the U.S. military or in the diplomatic service. Even though they are U.S. citizens some students have never lived in the United States.

Keep in mind SC has alumni clubs around the world, 18 now in Asia. I do know of Greek women who are from Canada, England and some European countries. It would be interesting if Panhellenic did keep a record of international students in the chapters.
Is that how it works? My knowledge of the international student situation is that US citizens are NOT considered international students for the purposes of admissions and financial aid. Since the statistics that a university provides are usually based on admissions numbers, it would stand to reason that US citizens who lived internationally weren't in the numbers for international students.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Munchkin,
You are correct. The university does not count U.S. citizens as international students. I was calling these students international as many of them never lived in the U.S. They may have a very different point of view about Greek life than someone who was raised in the U.S., particularly in a southern state.

USC states on their profile international students do not qualify for need based financial aid. Alumni have donated funds for a small number of highly competitive merit scholarships for international students.