GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,273
0 members and 2,273 guests
No Members online

Old 06-26-2016, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Need help with info on DC/Arlington

So Hypo has been looking at apartments in DC and Virginia this weekend and loves two different ones- one is brand new, near the Washington Nationals stadium and one is in Arlington (3400 Columbia Pike, Arlington, VA 22204). She's weighing pros and cons and having a hard time deciding.

So someone from DC/Arlington who knows such things- what are the differences in taxes, car insurance, etc. between the two? Is one financially advantageous over the other?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-26-2016, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm originally from the DC area. The stadium is an up and coming area. Pre stadium it was quite rough over there. As far as taxes I'm not positive which is better. As far as car insurance goes you'll likely pay more in DC. Arlington is a nice area and you're super close to the city but have some of the convenience of the burbs. Also Arlington is very accessible via public transportation too. I've lived in Arlington before and loved it.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I would definitely pick the Arlington location over DC even if it lengthens her commute. Taxes will be less, vehicle and renter's insurance is not nearly as high as in DC, there is not as much crime, etc.

Isn't she a Theta? Do their DC area alumnae associations have FB groups? Both the Northern VA KKG and the DC/MD groups have young alums posting sublets, roommate searches, and apt openings.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

She's an AXO and has been checking out their alumnae group. Some of her sisters from Columbia are active there! The Arlington apartment they like is a lot cheaper so even though she'll have the crazy personal property tax on a car, it comes out cheaper. She has a roommate already, so she's set there. The stadium one was really appealing because it even has a private beach on the river, but I think they decided today that Arlington was the better bet.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

They changed their minds again and went with the DC one. She loved it from the first time she saw it online.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, I guess she wasn't locked in she could change her mind :-) A few former co-workers and acquaintances live in that area since the stadium and they do all love the area. A word of warning about the beach on the river, don't go swimming in there, its crazy polluted.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthen View Post
Well, I guess she wasn't locked in she could change her mind :-) A few former co-workers and acquaintances live in that area since the stadium and they do all love the area. A word of warning about the beach on the river, don't go swimming in there, its crazy polluted.
The Anacostia is getting much better, though if I had to choose a place to swim in a river the area, it would probably be Georgetown north of Roosevelt Island. (or possibly Rock Creek just before it enters the Potomac) (I'm wondering if the pollution at Navy Yard is caused by the Navy Yard or by the Anacostia).
Old 06-28-2016, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

DC resident here and would have voted for the stadium location so glad she did that one. Great up and coming area... she still needs to be vigilant about her comings and goings especially at night but that can be said about anywhere in the city. Its a great location filled with lots of people her age and new bars and restaurants... if I were a 20 something this is definitely where I would want to be. Good luck to her! Its a great city.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Plus, she's young. She has a whole life to live in suburbia. Living in the city, good and bad, is the reason of the young. Fun times ahead!
Old 07-01-2016, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

There's an infinity pool on the roof so I think she'll swim there. There's also several grills and big screen TV up there. I think it will be a great place for them to hang out and get to know people too. Gym, restaurants, plus the stadium- they may only be able to afford to live there for a year, but I think it will be an adventure for them!

Then again, this kid has swam in Lake Erie pretty regularly, in an area I wouldn't! Just downstream from the nuclear plant. Her apartment will have a view of the river though, with a balcony. They'll be living the high life!
Old 07-01-2016, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Very cool well I hope she enjoys it. Her apartment sounds amazing! You only live once so I think that's great she's making the most of things.