GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 901
1 members and 900 guests
No Members online

Old 05-18-2007, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Wow. I can't believe that I was a new member when I started this thread. Haha.

Anyways, I wanted to update on the "psycho". The member she was good friends with went inactive this semester for medical reasons. But she's apparently still interested in joining.

She's in a class with one of our girls (who is fairly new and really didn't know about the psycho) and asked her if we were doing informal recruitment this winter. Later on at chapter dinner, we were talking, and she casually mentioned that "some girl in my class named Susie Psycho asked me if Sigma was doing informal."

You should've seen our faces because everyone at the table knew who she was talking about!

Since it's formal recruitment time, she said she just told her about recruitment and how to sign up. So we're holding our breath to see if she comes through!

So what happened? Did she end up coming through recruitment again?
Old 05-18-2007, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaPrincess24 View Post
So what happened? Did she end up coming through recruitment again?
I cannot believe I didn't post about this before when it happened! This was pretty big drama last semester. I STILL can't believe some of this stuff happened to my chapter. We're the most laid back, friendly girls on campus. Brace yourselves. This is a long one girls:

No, she didn't come through formal recruitment, but we had COB a week or so afterward, and guess who showed up! Yep, Suzie Psycho! She'd seen one of our flyers in the Student Center.

It was awkward, because like I said before, the sister who was friends with her was inactive. This girl was close to being a 5th year AND had already been denied a bid 3 different times back before I joined (1-spring 2003 informal, 2-fall 2003 formal, 3-spring 2004 informal). There were only a handful of members still active last semester who even remembered her. You can imagine the looks on all the girls' faces who knew who she was.

We had to play it cool of course because there were PNMs present. So my Big who is Recruitment Dir. (who was newly initiated when Suzie started becoming obsessed) greeted her like she would anyone else.

Suzie was pretty excited to be there. We'd gotten a new house since she'd rushed last time and she was "really pumped" to see it. She pretty much RAN around the house looking in rooms saying "omg I can't wait to live here next semester."

A sister (who was new and didn't know her) was just casually talking to her. Suzie was almost in tears and kept saying "I love your house" over and over.

The sister said her something like "Thanks for coming" and Suzie replies, "Thank you! I rushed a couple of times back in the day. I never got in, but now that there are so many new girls (we'd about doubled in size since then) I figured I'd give it another shot. I'm pretty sure I'd get one now, especially since all you newer girls are so nice!" The sister just smiled awkwardly.

The way those COBs worked, there were 2 open events and then the last event was by invite only. After that, bids were extended. The next event was open, so of course she showed up.

At this event, she wore a purple sweater. My Little (who also didn't know her), complimented her on it. She said "Thank you so much. I wore it because it's one of your colors. Shows how much I totally love you guys!"

This event also included a financial presentation (like 5 or so minutes where the Treasurer goes over stuff in the brochures and girls can ask questions). Well, Suzie starts crying in the middle of it. Our Treasurer was like "Are you ok?" She replies "Yeah, I'm just so excited to be here it makes me wanna cry. I love you girls so much." So that was weird. The other PNMs looked at her like "umm ok."

She noticed a vase that used to be in the old house and she shrieks "OH MY GOSH I REMEMBER THIS, IT'S FROM THE OLD HOUSE!!!" It startled everyone around her! Then she proceeds to pick it up. A sister kindly asked her to please put it down because it was old and we didn't want it to get broken. Suzie giggled back "Oh it's okay, I was practically an honorary member back in the day. I've earned the right to pick up the vase." Another sister insisted and she finally put it back.

At the end of the night, the Recruitment Director gathered all the PNMs in the foyer and told them that we'd be calling them to let them know if they've been invited back to the final night. She is practically in tears at this point. She hugged the sister who walked her out and told her "OMG I can't wait to wear your letters!" as she skipped out the door.

Two days before the invite only event, we made the phone calls to the PNMs to let them know whether or not they'd been asked back. The sister who made the call to Suzie told me that she was pretty upset. She cried and then she got mad and said "I've been trying to get in since FRESHMAN YEAR! I don't understand WHY I wasn't invited back. I want to know why." The sister told her politely that she couldn't really discuss it. Suzie said some more choice words and hung up.

We thought we were done with Suzie. Wrong. She showed up at our house the day before the invite only event! It was around noon, and everyone is in class or on campus except my Twin. So she answered the door. She had been excused from COB because of night classes so she had no clue who she was.

She said "Can I help you?" Suzie demanded to speak to the Recruitment Director. My twin told her that she was in class but asked if she had a message or number that she could pass along. Suzie replied "Yeah I want to know why I didn't get invited to tomorrow's event. I rushed 3 times and I just think I deserve to get in now." She politely told her that she wasn't at any of the events so she didn't know anything about that. Suzie got mad and said "It's okay, I know you know why and you just don't want to tell me." She walked away.

When my Big got back, she told her about some girl coming by and asking about not getting an invite. She didn't get the girl's name, but she described her. We were pretty shocked to learn that she had actually stopped by.

We again figured that was the last of her. Nope. The next day, the DAY of the event, she leaves a note in our mailbox. I found it when I brought the mail in. It read:

Sisters of Tri Sigma:

I'm really upset that I didn't get invited back to the invite only event. I don't think it's fair that you chose the other younger girls over someone older and obviously more dedicated. As a result, I plan on emailing your advisor, Mrs. _______ whose email address is publicly avaliable in the Greek Life office.

Thank you,
Suzie

We didn't think she'd actually do it, but she did. I don't know why. I think maybe she thought it would "scare" us into inviting her. When Suzie emailed her, she simply emailed her back saying that she was sorry but that membership decisions were up to the collegiate chapter members.

Suzie was pretty fired up. She got our president's number from the KSU directory. We know this because the night of the invite only event, she left her about 5 messages asking to speak with her about the chapter's decision. She never bothered returning her calls, for fear that it would encourage her madness.

Invite-only went great. The next night, we went around to the girl's dorms and extended bids. A new member (who had befriended Suzie during COB) IMed her and was like "OMG Suzie guess what I got a bid!" She replied, "That is so unfair." The new member IMed her back and was like "wow I'm sorry" and that was that.

We really thought we were done after bids went out. Nope. Well the next night, that same new member's away message said something like "At ____ Park celebrating with my new sisters!!!" I'm guesing that's where SUZIE found out the location of our little bid party.

We were at the park hanging out. We'd just gotten done with cake and were sitting with the new girls and giving them info about pinning and stuff. All of a sudden, Suzie walks up!! We were flabbergasted! She just wasn't going to give up.

She says "OMG hi girls!" Then she says to our president, "Hi I just stopped by to ask why I wasn't given a bid. Since you didn't return my calls the other day." An older sister, who remembered Suzie from way back when she first tried to join pulled her aside and suggested that she go home. Suzie got really upset and started crying and saying "I am SO done with Sigma! I'm tired of being treated like this by you guys!! This sorority is FULL of snotty bitches now and I don't get why I EVER wanted to join!"

Everybody is just standing around like . We had no clue how she'd found out about the picnic (we later figured out it was probably from a new members away message). Our advisor went over to her and said that she was going to call the cops because there were families in the park and she was swearing.

She screamed, "Fine, I'll leave, but don't think I won't let EVERY single girl on campus know what mean and awful people the girls are!" Then she jumped in her car and sped off. We all just stood there. We could not believe the crazy week we'd just had.

We never saw or heard from Suzie again. That was pretty much the most bizzare event of my collegiate years. It prompted us to do a workshop about stalking and privacy. In case you're wondering, none of those new members from the park quit. It provides a good laugh when they're all together and swapping "remember when" stories.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 05-18-2007 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Old 05-18-2007, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh my god, how crazy can you get???
Old 05-18-2007, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
You guys are really nice, because I would have had the president go to the office that handles student conduct and filed several formal complaints against her and made sure that she wasn't allowed to anything no matter how "open" it was. She had the potential to perhaps have deteriorate your organization's reputation on campus (although it seems that since she was such a well known psycho so maybe not) or at least ruin the recruitment especially with all of her loud statements during your events. Or maybe even attempt to hurt someone.
I wouldn't have taken any chances. I would have also called the police the minute she showed up at the park harassing you.
You guys sound like a super wonderful chapter to handle her chaos with such grace and poise.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:33 PM
GC Member

Send a message via AIM to OneTimeSBX Send a message via Yahoo to OneTimeSBX
i just so happened to run into the story above...

what very sweet, patient ladies you all are! ok let me stop being PC and nice...most groups would have beat her down lol! that is one of the craziest stories ever, it would make for an awesome movie!
Old 05-18-2007, 04:58 PM

Quote:
"I am SO done with Sigma! I'm tired of being treated like this by you guys!! This sorority is FULL of snotty bitches now and I don't get why I EVER wanted to join!"
Well, I guess she gave you what for.

Seriously Jocelyn...you win this thread.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

This is a little OT, but what is COB/COR?

Is it what we used to call Spring Rush/Mini Rush?
Old 05-18-2007, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWithers View Post
This is a little OT, but what is COB/COR?

Is it what we used to call Spring Rush/Mini Rush?
Never mind, I got it! 'Continuous Open Bidding/Recruitment'. I love Google.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228

Jocelyn, your story takes the cake! I am leaning toward giving that ho a good beat down! Glenn Close from "Fatal Attraction" eat your heart out
Old 05-18-2007, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill1228 View Post
Glenn Close from "Fatal Attraction" eat your heart out
I was thinking the same thing. (Don't let Suzie near the bunnies.)

First my disclaimer. Jocelyn, I am sorry this happened to you and your chapter and very happy that it ended well for y'all. However, I have to admit (guilty pleasure here) that I have enjoyed reading about "Suzie". The story, and your telling of it, was quite riveting. Lets hope that there aren't any additional "updates".
Old 05-18-2007, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
The story, and your telling of it, was quite riveting. Lets hope that there aren't any additional "updates".
There won't be. Suzie graduated a week or so ago! Hopefully she has moved on with her life and gotten over it.

If anyone's wondering, our advisors made sure to tell the other sorority advisors to give their chapter a "heads up", just in case she showed up to anyone's events. We also alerted KSU police and gave them a description of her car. They started doing random patrols of our road because of it.

Honestly, the Suzie situation was more frustrating than scary at the time. Not until it was over did we really think "Whoa. She could've hurt one of us." It was really frustrating at the time because we were trying to finish up recruitment while wondering where/when Suzie was going to show up, knowing that you couldn't just tell her to "go away" because you didn't want her to tell every single girl who was at COB a bunch of lies about how you're all bitches." Looking back, I don't think any reasonable person would've believed her.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 05-18-2007 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:40 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
There won't be. Suzie graduated a week or so ago! Hopefully she has moved on with her life and gotten over it.
You better hope to God that she doesn't find out about AI.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok, so I have been reading these stories, and I can honestly say that I'm a little more nervous about recruitment in the fall (I will be a sophomore). I just hope my chapter doesn't get any extreme cases!

We're the girls who wear the pearls
You can't beat those sexy squirrels!

Old 05-18-2007, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

If she acted like that in college, I'm sure if she finds out about AI and she does pursue it that the alumnae members would figure her out too because one, it takes much longer to be considered for membership if one goes about it that way and two, I don't think she would want to wait that long, especially since she threw such a hissy fit about not getting in. If one alumnae chapter doesn't think she would be a good member and she tries to contact another, soon enough her reputation would get out about her to National Headquarters and her chances of being considered for membership are what 0? It's sad that people are that desperate these days.