GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,172
1 members and 1,171 guests
No Members online

Old 12-31-2007, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Dream chapters

I stole this from another GLO's thread, but I don't think they'll mind.

Where would your dream Kappa chapter be?

I would love to see the chapter at San Jose State reinstated. My family lives in San Jose, and I want to go to grad school there, so I'd love to help a chapter there.

Last edited by LucyKKG; 12-31-2007 at 03:47 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-31-2007, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I would love if the Beta Alpha (UPenn) or Phi (Boston University) chapters could be reinstated, as they're great historic chapters, but I don't think that will happen any time soon.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Ditto to ISUKappa's wishlist.

Davidson College is an excellent LAC in the Carolinas that allows male fraternities but not sororities. If that policy ever changes, I would be pleased to see us colonize there.

I also like Lehigh, RPI, and Brown for potential colonizations.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alum View Post
Davidson College is an excellent LAC in the Carolinas that allows male fraternities but not sororities. If that policy ever changes, I would be pleased to see us colonize there.
Whaaaat! Can they really do that? I know some people argue that only allowing women to be members of sororities (or men in fraternities) is discriminatory, but not allowing sororities on campus is wayyy beyond that.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Bumping this thread because I think it's fun!

I would love to see the chapter at UPenn come back, as I live in Philly. I know they just reinstated the ZTA chapter there last spring, so hopefully it's a sign that Greek Life is growing in popularity and a Kappa chapter is a possibility in the not-so-distant future!
Old 03-21-2012, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I would love to see Kappa at Chapman University!! It is 15 min from where I live and would love to see more chapters in our area. I am really excited about the expansion presentation and plan on going. If I can go see the other presentation I want to go.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyKKG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alum View Post
Whaaaat! Can they really do that? I know some people argue that only allowing women to be members of sororities (or men in fraternities) is discriminatory, but not allowing sororities on campus is wayyy beyond that.
Crashing, but since the thread got bumped . . .

It's not quite right to say that Davidson doesn't allow sororities. As I understand it from a number of Davidson alumnae, NPC sororities have not been invited to campus partially because there has never been a strong enough demand for them from Davidson's female students, or to the degree there has been a stong demand from some female students, there has been equally strong or stronger opposition from other female students. Here is a 1998 statement on the subject. Since that time, however, both Alpha Kappa Alpha and Delta Sigma Theta both have established chapters there (2008 and 2011).

Patterson Court at Davidson includes houses (not full residential houses) for 6 fraternities (KA Order, Kappa Sig, SAE, Sig Ep, Fiji and Phi Delt) and the Black Student Coalition House and MultiCultural House. It also includes four women's "eating houses" -- Connnor, Rusk, Turner and Warner. (Along with AKA and Delta, Alpha Phi Alpha and Kappa Alpha Psi have chapters at Davidson. APhiA once had a house on Patterson Court but doesn't anymore.)

About 2/3 of female students at Davidson belong to a women's eating house. Eating houses are a self-selecting with regard to membership, and that seems to be at least in part what differentiates them in the minds of students from sororities.

It's also important to note that fraternities -- at least the NIC fraternities (plus Kappa Sig) -- at Davidson operate a little differently from the way they do elsewhere. Fraternities are also "eating houses" at Davidson, and even if a guy is not offered a bid to any fraternities (whether he went through rush and didn't get any bids or whether he simply chose not to go through rush), he may still select fraternity of his choice as his "eating house." He will then be a "social member" of the fraternity/eating house. He will not be considered a member of the inter/national fraternity and will not be entitled to vote in chapter (or participate in ritual), but will be entitled to participate in all social events. Beta closed its Davidson chapter rather than go along with the idea of "social membership."

Last edited by MysticCat; 03-21-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Mevara - keep us posted on Chapman!
Old 03-21-2012, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevara View Post
I would love to see Kappa at Chapman University!! It is 15 min from where I live and would love to see more chapters in our area. I am really excited about the expansion presentation and plan on going. If I can go see the other presentation I want to go.
Used to live near Chapman and a lot of my friends went there. From what I heard and saw, Greek life was rapidly growing. Loved the campus.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip86 View Post
Used to live near Chapman and a lot of my friends went there. From what I heard and saw, Greek life was rapidly growing. Loved the campus.
It has grown tremendously! With the addition of the next org it will have doubled in the last 10 years. The university has also expanded moving beyond the main campus.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Our presentation at Chapman is tonight!! The other chapters presented on Tue and Wed. I am so excited!! From what I have heard they will most likely be doing a stacked expansion with the first group as early as Feb 2013.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Chapman will be announcing the invites on Wednesday!! (Hopefully) Good news to come!
Old 05-02-2012, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

From Chapman's FB and Twitter pages, it appears that Kappa has been chosen to colonize next year!
Old 05-03-2012, 01:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSKKG View Post
From Chapman's FB and Twitter pages, it appears that Kappa has been chosen to colonize next year!
Yay!! How exciting!!
Old 05-03-2012, 07:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Rah rah for Kappa!