GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,324
2 members and 2,322 guests
Pinkmagnolia921, Xidelt

Old 08-11-2002, 02:45 AM
hendrixski

Catholics in Frats

I'm not entirely clear on this, but I believe Pope Pius X declared it was uncatholic to join secret societies. Or was he reffering specifically to the FreeMasons?
Certainly in this day and age no-one cares. I'm proud to be Catholic and proud to be GREEK!

I was just wondering if anyone else had some more insigt into this. All you religion or history majors.
And does anyone feel that religion may conflict in frat life? I don't.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-11-2002, 07:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to theta sig agd
The Catholic Church is very specific in this. They are ok with secret societies depending on what they stand for.

Also remember, secret societies and fraternities are slightly different. Secret Societies you dont know who is a member or what they are called...yada yada yada.

Anyway, I am also Catholic and greek and the literature I have looked at seems to support fraternities. Anyway there are several Jesuit and Catholic schools that have greek systems !!

Hope this helps...
Old 08-11-2002, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

If it really is the case, nobody told my classmates. I went to a Catholic high school, and at least 50% of the people in my graduating class went Greek in college.
Old 08-11-2002, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

I know, that There is Free Masoneray as am a 32 nd!

The Roman Catholic Church does not recognize it and tells its members not to join!

Cannot remember the Fraternal system that the Roman Catholics have and am sure someone on here can help me out! It is a off shoot as it were to be somethig similar for the Roman Catholic Church!

I am an Anglican Catholic and My Priest was a member of SN!

Do we all practice the dogma of each church? Not as much as in the old days!

I have for one Brothers of all faiths and herateages!

Does it bother me-NO they are my Brothers!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 08-11-2002, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaGammaStar Send a message via Yahoo to DeltaGammaStar
Just thought I would share and say that I attend at Catholic Jesuit College and we have a thriving Greek system...

Colleen Erin
Old 08-11-2002, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
Cannot remember the Fraternal system that the Roman Catholics have and am sure someone on here can help me out! It is a off shoot as it were to be somethig similar for the Roman Catholic Church!
I'm not Catholic, but my in-laws are, and I think that you're talking about the Knights of Columbus, which was founded in the 1880s by a Father McGivney (or something like that!).

The only reason I know any of this is because I was at my inlaws all day yesterday, and my FIL had his KofC magazine on the coffee table.
Old 08-11-2002, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

LOL I just remember reading in some Greek Apparel catalog under famous Greeks that the pope was a greek......
Old 08-11-2002, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Phi Kappa Theta is a Catholic college fraternity

At one time, they only took Catholic boys as members. I'm not sure wot they do now.
Old 08-11-2002, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nyrdrms
There is another thread that goes into depth concerning Masons and Catholics.... http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showth...&threadid=2624

As far as Catholics in Greek organizations, I am one. And I know of several others who are.
Old 08-11-2002, 10:12 PM
hendrixski

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltaSigStan
LOL I just remember reading in some Greek Apparel catalog under famous Greeks that the pope was a greek......

:-/ isn't pope John Paul the first non-Italian pope in a long time. He's from Poland. Don't they only have GLO's in the US an' Canada?
Old 08-11-2002, 10:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltaSigStan
This is really rather confusing to me as the first non-Italian Pope in the past 400+ years is our current Pope, John Paul II. . . .

With regards to Catholics 'being allowed' to join a greek letter org - there have been many Catholic GLO, though many have become more 'secular.' I do believe the only fraternal society that Catholics are not allowed to join is the Freemasons. There are a number of Catholic Fraternal societies in existance (Order of Malta, Knights of Columbus, Daughters of Isabella, Catholic Daughters, etc).

Sarah
Viva il Papa!
Old 08-11-2002, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I think you can very well still be a religious person and be involved in the Greek system. Many sororities have set up Bible studies. I know we have a girl who's Jewish, several girls who go to church regularly, my father's a Methodist minister, and two good Pi Kapp friends of mine (from different chapters) are going into the ministry. You make choices within the Greek community. Either you decide that you are going to be a religious person, or you don't, and being in a sorority or fraternity doesn't make a difference which you decide, if you are really strong in faith.
Old 08-11-2002, 10:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hendrixski

:-/ isn't pope John Paul the first non-Italian pope in a long time. He's from Poland. Don't they only have GLO's in the US an' Canada?
1) That's why i didn't believe it.

2) NOt true. In the Phillipines they have GLOs, but they're basically street gangs for those fortunate enough to go to college. My cousin is in Beta Kappa Epsilon at the University of Manila. I've been told of drive bys and murders that GLOs there have been a part of.
Old 08-11-2002, 11:00 PM
hendrixski

Quote:
Originally posted by nyrdrms
There is another thread that goes into depth concerning Masons and Catholics.... http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showth...&threadid=2624
This thread is very insightful and cleared many things up for me. In summary as it pertains to this thread: Many GLO's were started by Freemasons, and the rituals are similar. The Church has however lifted its ban on laymen joining freemasons a while ago.
Old 08-12-2002, 01:37 AM
GreekChat Member

I am Catholic...

Also, probably 75% of the men in my chapter are also catholics. There are also a few jewish members, atheists, and what not. We all respect each other's religion and get along great.

Furthermore, many of us are also involved with the Knights of Columbus, which does not conflict with our fraternal commitments one bit.