GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,453
2 members and 1,451 guests
bmilesqtivaov13, naraht

Old 06-20-2007, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

WA state resident looking to rush at Ole Miss - Any Advice?

Hi ladies (and gents)!

First of all I'd like to introduce myself a little... I am 19 years old and am in Seattle, WA. I will be graduating from a local community college w/ my AA in General Studies and am planning on transferring to Ole Miss. I have been to the South before and absolutely love the culture. I have wanted to join a sorority since I was a little girl and am just wondering if anyone could offer any tips, insight, etc. on rushing at an SEC university, especially for a Northern woman.

My GPA is about a 3.7, but I will be transferring there as a Junior. I plan on triple majoring so will be spending between 3-4 years at Ole Miss - will this be taken into consideration at all?

I have read that SEC universities are extremely competitive. I will be starting school in the Fall 2008 term. One of my good friends is a Tri-Delt at Washington State University, but she will still be an active member when I rush, so I'm not sure if she will be able to write me a rec.

I am more than willing to dedicate lots of time and effort into preparing for this experience, because, like I said, it is something I have dreamed of for years and am very, very excited to do. Any suggestions, tidbits, insight, advice, etc. is very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-20-2007, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
Originally Posted by candiceena View Post
My GPA is about a 3.7, but I will be transferring there as a Junior. I plan on triple majoring so will be spending between 3-4 years at Ole Miss - will this be taken into consideration at all?
During your conversations throughout Rush, I would definitely mention that your plan is to spend 3-4 years on campus.

Welcome to GreekChat. Best of luck to you!

Oxford, MS is a wonderful place.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

First of all, good luck.

Unfortunately, my initial impression is that this could be a very difficult process. Ole Miss is perhaps the most competitive greek school in the country, and people have been known to transfer to highly thought of MS private schools their senior year of HS to help their chances during rush. I'm glad you enjoy the culture, you'll need to embrace it fully in rush. Seems like a tough line to toe, you'll want to show you can fit into the traditional southern sorority culture, but you don't want to seem like you're chasing the novelty. I think your age could be a hindrance as well, and like the above poster stated, you'll want to assure people you'll be around for a solid period of time.

I'm sure there are some UM people on here who can give more directed advice.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

there are several threads on recruitment at ole miss. i would look under something like "ole miss rush thread". if that brings no results, then just go the the rush forum, under recruitment stories and start looking. there is a long thread entitled "SEC rush" which might also be helpful.

you will need recommendations to each sorority at ole miss.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:25 PM

I'm going to be honest, I have Greek friends there and I've never heard of a junior transfer getting a bid at Ole Miss.

Keep in mind that most of the girls rushing there will be freshmen with recs to every chapter and dazzling resumes filled with community service, sports, and even pageant titles. Alot of them are from the same states/towns as sorority members so they might be better connected. Many of the girls are legacies also (sisters/daughters/granddaughters of sorority members).

In addtion, you will need recs for as many of the sororities as you can get.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 06-20-2007 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Does anyone know if they have an upperclassmen quota? I can't really see that they would, being that the houses are already overflowing....

My advice is to decide what you're willing to accept. If you think you would only want to be in a top or middle group, I wouldn't waste the time rushing...if you don't mind being in one of the "smaller" groups, than go in with an open mind and see what happens...
Old 06-20-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
if you don't mind being in one of the "smaller" groups, than go in with an open mind and see what happens...

Are there any "small groups" at Ole Miss? I thought they were all at 200+. I would think that even the smallest chapter is pretty competitive.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 06-20-2007 at 08:03 PM.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Are there any "small groups" at Ole Miss? I thought they were all at 200+. I would think that even the smallest chapter is pretty competitive.
I thought I read in a thread that there were one or two smaller ones...but maybe I'm thinking of Bama.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
I thought I read in a thread that there were one or two smaller ones...but maybe I'm thinking of Bama.
Yeah that's Bama you're thinking of. Ole Miss only has like 8 or 9 sororities and they're all fairly large.

Oh and for candiceana, here's the Ole Miss Greek Life site (it has info on recruitment, the different sorority websites, etc):

http://www.olemiss.edu/greeks/PHC/

There are some posters here that go/went to Ole Miss that can tell you more (OleMissGlitter & MSKKG)

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 06-20-2007 at 08:03 PM.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Hmm. Thanks for the responses.

Not to sound rude (so I hope it doesn't come off like this) but are you saying I have no chance at all?

I was fairly active in high school, I played softball and was a cheerleader, and I am active in my community now as well. It's a no-go on the pageant titles, LOL, but I figure I won't know unless I try...
Old 06-20-2007, 09:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hmm. Thanks for the responses.

Not to sound rude (so I hope it doesn't come off like this) but are you saying I have no chance at all?

I was fairly active in high school, I played softball and was a cheerleader, and I am active in my community now as well. It's a no-go on the pageant titles, LOL, but I figure I won't know unless I try...
Nobody is telling you not to try, they're just trying to give you a realistic picture. Are you aware of what southern greek life is like, especially at places like Ole Miss?
Old 06-20-2007, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

To be completely honest, Greek life is basically foreign to me. I'm not a legacy but it is something that I have always wanted to do. I definitely appreciate all the responses though.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
To be completely honest, Greek life is basically foreign to me. I'm not a legacy but it is something that I have always wanted to do. I definitely appreciate all the responses though.
And it's probably NOTHING like your Tri Delta friend went through at Wazzu.

You should get in touch with the Overlake Panhellenic and they may be able to help you get recs. Their contact info is probably on the NPC website. www.npcwomen.org The Seattle APh works with the UW so they are going to be much less help.

Last edited by SmartBlondeGPhB; 06-20-2007 at 10:52 PM.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:01 PM

Definitely read all the Southern rush threads. While I would encourage you to go through rush for at least the experience of meeting all those people ... I would also say that if you're into prayer, you should start praying three times a day from now until bid day that you get bid.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, I'm going to second that it's nothing like Wazzu rush.

Rush here is VERY laid back. Pan day is like, t-shirt and shorts. Pref day is sun dress. Juniors regularly get bids.