GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 896
0 members and 896 guests
No Members online

Old 03-06-2012, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

For those of you who think these things no longer matter in places in the south, I have three words for you: Mountain Brook Alabama.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

one of my all time favorite quotes

“Build a fence around the South and you'd have one big madhouse.” ― Florence King
Old 03-06-2012, 05:40 PM
Banned

Anne Rivers Siddons, an Auburn Tri-Delt, also does not make her characters Tri-Delts, even when they are based on her own life (as in "Heartbreak Hotel"). In one novel, the protagonist is a Kappa and her best friend is a Pi Phi; in another, she calls the characters' sorority "Tri-O."
Old 03-06-2012, 06:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
"Designing Women"

“This is the South and we’re proud of our crazy people. We don’t hide them up in the attic, we bring them right down to the living room to show them off. No one in the South ever asks if you have crazy people in your family, they just ask what side they’re on.” --Julia Sugarbaker
Old 03-06-2012, 06:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HQWest View Post
We have had girls transfer schools if they don't get into dream chapter on the first try.
I would love to read a thread about this. It just intrigues me that people would actually do this. Does anyone know if there are any existing threads about this? Or is anyone willing to share anecdotal information if they've witnessed it?
Old 03-06-2012, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
I certainly agree with you. If I met you, in person, I would be excited, since I've never met a member of Alpha Sigma Tau.
And I'd be excited to meet you, even though I already know a few Chi Omegas

@~/~~~~
Old 03-06-2012, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
“This is the South and we’re proud of our crazy people. We don’t hide them up in the attic, we bring them right down to the living room to show them off. No one in the South ever asks if you have crazy people in your family, they just ask what side they’re on.” --Julia Sugarbaker
Exactly. LOVE that quote. And I can say it is especially when you are from "The Most Southern Place On Earth," like my family.

http://www.amazon.com/Most-Southern-...1075907&sr=1-1

And Florence King had it down pat. Unfortunately, she decided she preferred computing to writing and has changed professions. Ellen Gilchrist is another good Southern author who has the genre perfected .
Old 03-06-2012, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake View Post
I would love to read a thread about this. It just intrigues me that people would actually do this. Does anyone know if there are any existing threads about this? Or is anyone willing to share anecdotal information if they've witnessed it?
And it would be interesting to know how often it works out with the transfer.

I'm the person who started this thread. I find this stuff endlessly fascinating. I enjoy Greek Chat because of the stories and learning about the different aspects of Greek life around the country. I learned quite a bit from this thread. Thanks to everyone who left a comment!

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I did a search and this was interesting given what OldRow said up above...

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Probably not what you're looking for, but I know of at least two GCers who have transferred schools because of unsuccessful rushes. One got a bid at, I think was her 3rd school. The other failed miserably at her 2nd school because of numerous "no-recs" received.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
This is why Ole Miss has recruitment in the middle of Fall Semester. It improved Freshman retention and reduced the amount of money Ole Miss had to refund because of people jumping ship.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Doesnt happen often, and I Wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it. Sometimes it might be a side effect if going to transfer anyway.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
This is why Ole Miss has recruitment in the middle of Fall Semester. It improved Freshman retention and reduced the amount of money Ole Miss had to refund because of people jumping ship.
Crazy. Absolutely crazy - but in an intriguing, fun way. I think this reinforces some of what's been said in this thread.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDeltaSallie View Post
I did a search and this was interesting given what OldRow said up above...
I was in a high school sorority.

We had chapters in TN, AR, AL, and LA.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Crazy. Absolutely crazy - but in an intriguing, fun way. I think this reinforces some of what's been said in this thread.
“To understand the world, you must first understand a place like Mississippi,” once said William Faulkner.

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/201...16-OXFORD.html