GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto

Old 01-18-2000, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Co-ed Frats

I go to a small baptist campus where we have 3 frats and 3 soroities. Several of my guy friends are in the frats and they seem to have a great time. However when I checked out the soroities, I was really disappointed. Please understand I don't mean to insult anyone, it just seems that the guys have a lot better greek letter organizations. So here is my question, to anyone who is a member of a co-ed frat, what is your impression of it? I wish my school had one, because they seem like a good idea. However my school is a bit old fashioned when it comes to things like that. I am interested in hearing about co-ed frats and any advice anyone might have to allieviate my problem. Please feel free to email me with any comments-- Thanx
Old 02-10-2000, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
I am an alumnae of a coed frat. I loved my experience. It seemed like there was a lot less focus on trivial things (like which frat we were going to hang out w/ at what party, etc.) and a lot more focus on what we were there for. I felt like it also helped the dynamic of communication in the group. (If you have ever taken any courses regarding gender communication, you know that people communicate differently in single-sex groups than in multi-gender groups). Not only was the flow of communication affected, but we also got perspectives from both sexes regarding social and philanthropic (is that a word ?) events, among other things.

I would say the biggest draw back came when we were organizing events w/ other chapters. There was only 1 other coed chapter, which we had just recently begun organizing stuff with my last year there. Some folks had a problem w/ the uneven number of guys vs. girls, others couldn't care less.

We didn't have the opportunity to share a house on my campus, so I can't tell you how that would have been. Judging from the brothers and sisters when I was there, I think it would have been a blast.

Hope this helps, I know it's long

------------------
Phi Beta Fraternity for the Creative and Performing Arts.
http://homepages.go.com/~phibetaphichapter/index.html
Old 03-19-2001, 11:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to pirate00 Send a message via Yahoo to pirate00
Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by SilverTurtle:
I am an alumnae of a coed frat. I loved my experience. It seemed like there was a lot less focus on trivial things (like which frat we were going to hang out w/ at what party, etc.) and a lot more focus on what we were there for. I felt like it also helped the dynamic of communication in the group. (If you have ever taken any courses regarding gender communication, you know that people communicate differently in single-sex groups than in multi-gender groups). Not only was the flow of communication affected, but we also got perspectives from both sexes regarding social and philanthropic (is that a word ?) events, among other things.

I would say the biggest draw back came when we were organizing events w/ other chapters. There was only 1 other coed chapter, which we had just recently begun organizing stuff with my last year there. Some folks had a problem w/ the uneven number of guys vs. girls, others couldn't care less.

We didn't have the opportunity to share a house on my campus, so I can't tell you how that would have been. Judging from the brothers and sisters when I was there, I think it would have been a blast.

Hope this helps, I know it's long

You're damn right co-ed fraternities are a good idea! I belong to one (Alpha Phi Omega) Even though we're geared around service, we have lots of fellowship activities (Semiformals, "Silver can" parties). One of the few fraternites were you can give service to a brother "all night long"
Old 03-20-2001, 10:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gamma_girl52 Send a message via Yahoo to gamma_girl52
Well, I don't belong to a co-ed organization, but my brother fraternity, Alpha Phi Omega, IS co-ed. Personally I don't care if it is co-ed or not, I still feel that APO is my brother fraternity.

If you want to join a co-ed frat, then you should go for it...if it's where you feel comfortable, if it's where you have a great time, then by all means, join!

Old 03-21-2001, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Last edited by hermosa_ilusion; 05-31-2006 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-23-2001, 12:11 AM

Arrow

I believe that Psi Upsilon (historically a men's NIC) has a few chapters that are co-ed.

Generally speaking though, it is still predominantly a men's fraternity.

Old 03-28-2001, 12:44 AM
GreekChat Member

I am a member of a co-ed fraternity, and personally, I'm not a fan of the switch (it was a sorority when I pledged, we had co-ed rammed down our throats) I absolutely love my sorority, as I still call it, (I'd better, I'm the president of it!) but I am displeased with some of the decisions made from above. Some of you may remember my dillemma from way back when on the boards, so you know. Well, I'll be much more discreet now than I was then, but I am not pleased with it. I can see how it can have its postive aspects but...for me it has only created negatives.

We have 1 male member out of 27, who truly is a wonderful guy, and he is my "brother". However, it creates some awkwardness. First off, it makes socials/mixers with other groups difficult. With the exception of our unofficial brother fraternity, we have had very little interaction with other greeks. Since we are not encompassed in NPC or IFC, they seem to want little to do with us, despite our attempts. We are treated as "second rate greeks". We have even had members of other greek orgs on campus come up to us and harrass us because "You are not real greeks (excuse me???) so quit playing pretend". Just because my organization is co-ed does not mean we are not *real* greeks.

[/end rant]

Anyway, I'd strongly look into how the co-ed greeks on your campus are treated by the greek community at large before deciding to become involved.

(side note: prdlocal - don't get too offended by this...I've been around for quite a while, so much of this is old...and the Alpha Sigs have always been pretty decent towards us!)

[This message has been edited by Dewgirl (edited March 28, 2001).]
Old 03-28-2001, 01:30 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Siobhan
Quote:
Originally posted by CutiePie2000:
I believe that Psi Upsilon (historically a men's NIC) has a few chapters that are co-ed.

Generally speaking though, it is still predominantly a men's fraternity.

I heard the same thing.

Old 03-30-2001, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Red face

pirate... APO was the fraternity that we were just starting to mix with more frequently when I was there!

Regarding treatment by other greeks:

My campus was not the norm. We had 4 national GLOs, all members of PFA (i.e. NOT NPC or NIC). We also had 6 social GLOs, all of which are locals. We were not the first group of people that the locals turned to for fun, but at the same time they did respect our GLO. My junior and senior years there we actually set out to get more involved in campus greek life, and overall the reception was very positive. Also, we had more than 1 guy in our house. I can see where 1:27 could create some issues. Dewgirl... I hope that as things develop it gets better for you!

------------------
SilverTurtle@greekchat.com

Phi Beta Fraternity
Phi chapter
Old 03-31-2001, 08:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
Belmont Abbey college (in NC) has co-ed as well as single-sex GLOs. It seems to work out well for them. I think all of them are locals, and they always look like they are having fun!!
Old 03-31-2001, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

While I was a member of Alpha Phi Omega at NW Mo. I am a Brother of LXA. I do not believe any of the National IFC, NPC, or NHPC organizationa allow co-ed or dual membership except in the Service Organizations. If I am wrong, I will stand corrected!

------------------
Tom Earp LX Z#1
Pittsburg State U. (Kansas)
Old 04-01-2001, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

My husband's fraternity, founded in 1832, is now two organizations -- a fraternity and a society -- because of coeducation. His campus, where GLOs began in 1840, went coed in 1970. They went through all kinds of agony, said that all organizations had to be coed and that went for frats, some of whom stayed with their nationals and others who went local. Last year they abolished all fraternities, period. (The beautiful century-old houses are now campus housing....heee, heee, selective housing groups. Kinda like fraternities???)

IMO their Greek system would still be viable had they invited NPC groups to colonize. Separate but equal. Beneficial for all.

I think that a critically important element of women's GLO's is that they were founded by women, for women. They provide leadership opportunities for women--as undergraduates and as alumnae. There is an intensity and intimacy about being in an all-women's group that is, I think, very valuable.

I went to a university where Greek life was not only belonging to an organization but also a living experience, since that was (and still is)a "house" campus. When I was 18 I would have been VERY uncomfortable sharing living quarters with men. (To say nothing of what my parents would have said!)

Old 05-09-2001, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AGDAlum:
My husband's fraternity, founded in 1832, is now two organizations -- a fraternity and a society -- because of coeducation. His campus, where GLOs began in 1840, went coed in 1970.
That's very interesting. can I ask what organization was that?
Old 05-09-2001, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Delta Phi.

Kaire!
Old 05-11-2001, 04:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AGDAlum:
Alpha Delta Phi.

Kaire!
There are something like 5 or 6 chapters that moved to the society and all but one went co-ed because the university went "go co-ed or get the hell off our campus" and this included at least one school with "belong to a single sex GLO even if it isn't recognized and get expelled"

------------------
Naraht
Alpha Phi Omega Alumni Volunteer