GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,344
2 members and 1,342 guests
Cookiez17, Phrozen Sands

Old 08-20-2012, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

help 'decode' fraternity symbols?

maybe some of you here can shed some light,

i recently came across an antique fraternity coin/badge (see photos), the company (DYER) is no longer in business (1890-2009) but a long term employee said it looked like one of theirs and that they did a lot of items for fraternities and societies.

it is (what we assume so far) a fraternity membership badge / challenge coin. it has been stamped overtop of an indian head penny (1860-1909).

i am having a tough time to sort out the history of it. perhaps some of the symbols are recognized? what does the text say/represent in the center of the shield?

any info greatly appreciated,

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-20-2012, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade12 View Post
i am having a tough time to sort out the history of it. perhaps some of the symbols are recognized? what does the text say/represent in the center of the shield?
The first word isn't Greek; G is not a Greek Letter. I can't tell what it is. The second two words are "Phi Sigma." Presumably it is either the name or a motto of the organization in question.

The stars on the shield -- two groups of three, separated by a bend sinister -- are reminiscent of the stars (separated by a bend) on the Phi Delta Theta arms, but the similarity ends there.

Quote:
it is (what we assume so far) a fraternity membership badge / challenge coin. it has been stamped overtop of an indian head penny (1860-1909).
Just curious who "we" is.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

"we" being myself, the rep from DYER, and a wide spectrum of exonumia collectors from several forums.

of course it could be military, occult, or just plain novelty (100 years ago it could have been bring your kid to work day at DYER!) , but being DYER's mainstay was fraternity type stuff "we" (me) are leaning in that direction.

any thoughts on the letter between Phi and Sigma? Xi or Zeta? or ?

also, there are not 2 groups of 3 stars, its 4 over 3.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Looks like an iota, which is how the word Phi would be spelled.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=MysticCat;2169636]The first word isn't Greek; G is not a Greek Letter. I can't tell what it is. The second two words are "Phi Sigma." Presumably it is either the name or a motto of the organization in question.

QUOTE]

Could the G maybe be a stylized Theta?

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 08-20-2012, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
also, there are not 2 groups of 3 stars, its 4 over 3.
LOL, you are of course right. The mind sees what it decides to see.

Quote:
any thoughts on the letter between Phi and Sigma? Xi or Zeta? or ?
The letter between the the Phi and the Sigma appears to me to be a lower-case Iota with a tonos (accent). This seems a little clearer in the picture that is not a close up. It looks to me like the second and third words are Phi and Sigma spelled out: Φί Σιγμα.

That said, I realise now that the third letter in what otherwise looks like Σιγμα is actually a lower-case Eta (η), not a lower-case Mu (μ).

And now that you mention what is between the Phi and the Sigma, is does look a bit different from the other letters that appear to be Iotas, whether with tonos or without. In the picture of the entire coin, it almost looks like the Phi could be the last letter of the first word rather than the first letter of the second word, but it is an upper-case Phi, not a lower-case one (φ). And I'm still thrown by the G, which isn't a form of any Greek letter.

Curious.

ETA:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
Could the G maybe be a stylized Theta?
I guess it could, but that seems unlikely. The follwing letters would be Iota, something that looks like an English i or j, Iota and Alpha.

If I had to guess, I would guess a local group of some kind, but that is only a guess.

Last edited by MysticCat; 08-20-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

i was considering the G as a theta as well.

but what of the third letter? looks like a "j", i dont see anything in the greek alphabet with a dot over it?

a contributor from another forum suggested the last 5 letters spelled "sinea", translated into "precious gift", dont know if that helps or not
Old 08-20-2012, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
a contributor from another forum suggested the last 5 letters spelled "sinea", translated into "precious gift", dont know if that helps or not
I was just exploring that same possibility -- that what looked like a lower-case Gamma to me (γ) is actually a lower-case Nu (ν), which would indeed render the word "sinea."

The only place that I can find that it means "precious gift" is at answers.com, where someone says it's her name and means that in Greek. I'm doubtful, especially since I'm not finding it in Greek lexicons.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:10 AM
Banned

This item is from the old high school fraternity known as Beta Phi Sigma, which was founded in 1899 at Muncie High School in Indiana. This is the groups coat of arms, and their badge was shield shaped with an eye and skull and bones on the face with the letters Beta Phi Sigma.

Sincerely,
The Badge Guy

Quote:
maybe some of you here can shed some light,

i recently came across an antique fraternity coin/badge (see photos), the company (DYER) is no longer in business (1890-2009) but a long term employee said it looked like one of theirs and that they did a lot of items for fraternities and societies.

any info greatly appreciated,

Last edited by badgeguy; 08-21-2012 at 01:07 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:38 AM
GreekChat Member

just going to google the info you provided,

in the mean time, do you have any links or other to back up your statement?

the beta sigma phi / beta phi sigma logo is no where on this badge

(wiki shows "beta phi sigma" 1899 NOT "beta sigma phi", i assume you type-o'd?)

Last edited by wade12; 08-21-2012 at 12:52 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:14 AM
Banned

Info on this group is very scarce for this group since it existed pre "internet" age. (One webpage shows a chapter in the phillippines, but this group is NOT connected to that one.)
My source for this is a publication called American Secondary School Fraternities published in 1912 by J. Ward Brown.
Im sure also that if you find old yearbooks from some high schools in IN you will find an image of this coat of arms, or their pin.

Sincerely,
Badge Guy
Old 08-21-2012, 01:19 AM
GreekChat Member

any chance you could post page(s) from that book?

i believe what you are telling me,
i would just like something that i can add to a couple of other forums that this 'coin' is being discussed in.

(the philippines chapter has a good history write up on the founding of this society)
Old 08-21-2012, 02:01 AM
Banned

Beta Phi Sigma

Badge Guy
Old 08-21-2012, 09:07 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^ The description does match the arms on the coin, but how in the world does one can get Beta (Βητα) out of that first word on the coin?
Old 08-21-2012, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
^^^ The description does match the arms on the coin, but how in the world does one can get Beta (Βητα) out of that first word on the coin?
I was wondering that too. Perhaps those words are not the name of the organization, but their motto?