GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Gamma > Gamma Phi Beta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,225
1 members and 2,224 guests
Xidelt

Old 10-13-2014, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

UTC GPBs show panhellenic spirit

Just wanted to pass on an experience my daughter had with your chapter at UT-Chattanooga. Saturday morning my daughter and several other ZTA alumnae showed up early downtown to set up the Survivor Cafe for breast cancer survivors and their families who run/walk in the Race for the Cure which was being held on Sunday.

There were just a handful of alums and most of them had other obligations later in the morning, and had to leave. Just when my daughter thought it was going to be an all day, one woman job done by her, several UTC GPBs popped their heads in the door and ask if they can be of any help. Needless to say my daughter was thrilled! She said what a sweet, darling, and creative group they were and the Zta alums could not have done it without their help! She is going to send a note to the chapter, and to the Greek Life office commending them for their hard work.

(we do not have a ZTA chapter at UTC)
Old 10-13-2014, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Awww...thank you for sharing such a sweet story. That makes me proud to be a GPhiB.

True and Constant
Old 10-13-2014, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for sharing...what a wonderful example of Panhellenic philanthropic support! I'm going to pass this along to my Zeta sister!
Old 10-13-2014, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

This really lifted my spirits. Thanks for sharing, and very proud of the GPhis who stepped up and did the amazing.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 10-14-2014, 10:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Maybe this explains why there was not a single Gamma Phi Beta in attendance to hear NPC Chairman, Jean Mrasek, speak at UTC on Sunday at 3:00 p.m.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
Maybe this explains why there was not a single Gamma Phi Beta in attendance to hear NPC Chairman, Jean Mrasek, speak at UTC on Sunday at 3:00 p.m.
Seriously? A very positive story was shared, and you have to chime in with this?

Did you have a secret handshake at the door to check the membership of those in attendance?
Old 10-14-2014, 11:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Each group was asked to stand and "throw what they know" -- Jean called out all 26 groups, so even alums from chapters not at UTC could be recognized. It was a wonderful event. I'm sorry they missed it.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Each group was asked to stand and "throw what they know" -- Jean called out all 26 groups, so even alums from chapters not at UTC could be recognized. It was a wonderful event. I'm sorry they missed it.
You missed the point. Again.

Back to the topic: excited to see true NPC spirit shown by the GPhi actives, in ACTION, helping another Panhell sister spread the widest influence for good, regardless of the letters.

ETA: this is NOT about Chi Omega, in case you didn't know. Oh wait. Who cares?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity

Last edited by AZTheta; 10-14-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Wait, they chose to support their ZTA Panhellenic sisters and that is bad because they didn't support their ChiO Panhellenic sisters?

Going to a speaker isn't everyone's cup of tea. Being indoors on a beautiful fall day may not be what everyone wants to do. It doesn't make them lesser individuals because they didn't support something that you deem important. It also doesn't mean that they weren't impressed that the NPC chairwoman was in town.

Perhaps they enjoyed the Panhellenic spirit of helping out the ZTAs and getting the opportunity to show love, support, and encouragement to women (and men) who have faced this disease? Maybe they saw a NEED and put those needs in front of their own personal wishes, which perhaps could have been to attend the event? Maybe they value service and philanthropy and prefer to live their ritual in that manner?

Take off your red and yellow glasses and enjoy the beautiful world that exists beyond. Your comment was snitty, utterly rude, and had no place in this thread which was complimenting that group of young women- young women who understand much more about Panhellenic spirit than you demonstrated with your post.

Last edited by ComradesTrue; 10-14-2014 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Listen to a speaker . . . or live our creed.

My sisters made the right choice. They chose character over appearances.

It's a shame you won't live your symphony. What an utterly catty, tacky, SNOBBY, self-absorbed comment. But, I guess that's par for the course.

Last edited by SWTXBelle; 10-14-2014 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

FSU Zeta, thank you for sharing! The UT-C chapter was founded last year, and I'm so happy to see that these women are living our creed. It's amazing to see that these young women have Panhellenic spirit that some alumnae do not have.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I have been sufficiently scolded, thank you.

Helping with the Komen Race is indeed a worthy cause. Kudos to the UTC Gamma Phis for stepping up and meeting a real need.

I wish, especially as a new chapter, they had been represented at the "All Sisters" event, with the NPC Chair as keynote, held at UTC on Sunday afternoon. It was co-sponsored by the College Panhellenic & the Alumnae Panhellenic.

When you have a chapter with 150 chapter members, you can be represented at both events during the weekend.

I should have kept my mouth shut, but knowing how hard my Alumnae Panhellenic friends worked on this event -- hoping that all groups would be represented -- I said what I felt. It was surprising to me to see a thread for the very group that was a no-show at a major Panhellenic event on their campus. FSUZeta, I do apologize for not showing restraint.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

This is your idea of restraint?

You continue to throw shade on us, and then try and use some weak apology as YOU CONTINUE TO DO THE VERY THING YOU ARE SUPPOSEDLY APOLOGIZING FOR.

You are either stupid or clueless.

Last edited by SWTXBelle; 10-14-2014 at 07:21 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I have been sufficiently scolded, thank you.

Helping with the Komen Race is indeed a worthy cause. Kudos to the UTC Gamma Phis for stepping up and meeting a real need.

I wish, especially as a new chapter, they had been represented at the "All Sisters" event, with the NPC Chair as keynote, held at UTC on Sunday afternoon. It was co-sponsored by the College Panhellenic & the Alumnae Panhellenic.

When you have a chapter with 150 chapter members, you can be represented at both events during the weekend.

I should have kept my mouth shut, but knowing how hard my Alumnae Panhellenic friends worked on this event -- hoping that all groups would be represented -- I said what I felt. It was surprising to me to see a thread for the very group that was a no-show at a major Panhellenic event on their campus. FSUZeta, I do apologize for not showing restraint.
You really don't get it, do you? You really don't. To simplify: would you have chastized the Gamma Phi Beta chapter actives and alumnae if the current NPC Chair was other than a Chi Omega? You don't have to answer that, it was a rhetorical question, because we already know the answer.

We get what you feel. Totally. You took care of that for us. You have permanently removed any and all doubt, for posterity, in perpetuity.

And that is not an apology. There's no regret expressed in what you wrote.

Wow, just wow.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

nutbrnhair

Would it have mattered to you had the NPC chairwoman been a member of ZTA or Theta?

I am sure that the young ladies who did not attend the NPC chairwoman's event missed a fine speech, but as my creed says, they were "being, rather than seeming". As the Gamma Phi creed says "A labor that each hour will glorify the simple, common task, the common cause; a love that will be strong and great enough to encompass and to pity all the world."

They were putting into action their own creed, by serving with panhellenic sisters in memory of or in honor of breast cancer sufferers and survivors. They were "Doing Good" as our DG sisters would say.

(looks like I owe you a coke AzTheta!)