GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,321
0 members and 1,321 guests
No Members online

Old 05-10-2010, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Miami University Pi Beta Phi Suspended

It has been a rough Spring semester at Miami University ....

Pi Beta Phi's Chapter at Miami University has Been Suspended

Pi Beta Phi Fraternity was notified shortly after an administrative hearing held on Friday, April 30 that its Ohio Zeta Chapter had been suspended for one year resulting from inappropriate conduct and destruction of property at the chapter’s spring formal in April.

Shortly after learning about the actions of some of its Ohio Zeta Chapter members, Pi Beta Phi placed its chapter on probation in order to change the culture of the chapter and to ensure it models Pi Beta Phi and Miami University values.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-10-2010, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you have a link to the story, or some citation?

ETA: http://www.fox19.com/Global/story.asp?S=12454879

Last edited by Gusteau; 05-10-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:24 PM

Just to clarify - THE CHAPTER IS NOT CLOSED. So to say it has been a "rough spring" for Miami is somewhat inappropriate.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

The Pi Phi press release can be accessed (clickable) from a page of their HQ site:

http://www.pibetaphi.org/pibetaphi/

Excerpt (pretty much what has been posted on GC previously):

Pi Beta Phi’s Chapter at Miami University has Been Suspended
OXFORD, Ohio – May 1, 2010 – Pi Beta Phi Fraternity was notified shortly after an administrative hearing held on Friday, April 30 that its Ohio Zeta Chapter had been suspended for one year resulting from inappropriate conduct and destruction of property at the chapter’s spring formal in April.
Shortly after learning about the actions of some of its Ohio Zeta Chapter members, Pi Beta Phi placed its chapter on probation in order to change the culture of the chapter and to ensure it models Pi Beta Phi and Miami University values. Fraternity leadership is observing the University’s decision, but has not yet determined the future of its chapter’s charter.
The Ohio Zeta Chapter of Pi Beta Phi was founded in 1945 with more than 1,900 proud Pi Beta Phi alumnae. “The alumnae join Fraternity leadership in expressing great disappointment in the decisions of a few chapter members who have completely disregarded the values in which Pi Beta Phi was founded,” Grand President Mary Loy Tatum said. “They have placed their chapter in jeopardy with Miami University and Pi Beta Phi.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
Do you have a link to the story, or some citation?

ETA: http://www.fox19.com/Global/story.asp?S=12454879
Old 05-10-2010, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierxgirl View Post
Idk if this is over-stepping any bounds but I received the following email. Apparently it is being passed around the Greek Community. Feel free to delete if this is too much detail:

https://docs.google.com/a/umail.iu.e...SDHfyYzzzmiBIg
All I get is something that says "welcome to Indiana University, create and share your work online."
Old 05-11-2010, 07:17 AM
GreekChat Member

The reason I stated that it has been rough Spring semester at Miami University is that there is another sorority that been placed on two years suspension due to their behavior at their formal. I won't say what sorority it is because it has not been posted on their national website yet.

My sons, who are in a fraternity at Miami, have received the email that is going around the Greek community regarding the Pi Phi formal and it is very disturbing. It contains the letter sent by the owners of the facility where the formal was held and details what happened that night. It is alarming and you can see why the school took the action that they did.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:21 AM
GreekChat Member

I assume this is the letter in question. I have to say, the owners are being very generous in only retaining the $500 security deposit given everything that went on there (as per the letter details). I also sincerely hope for the couple that held their wedding there the next morning that their special day wasn't ruined because the staff were busy dealing with the destruction of the previous night.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:29 AM
Banned

If what that letter said is correct, to hell with the actives in that chapter. Disciplinary action is in order.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:34 AM
GreekChat Member

I saw the letter plastered all over the walls of a fraternity house this past weekend when I was there for my sister's graduation. I have zero problem believing it's completely accurate.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:42 AM
GreekChat Member

What does suspension mean anyway?

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 05-11-2010, 08:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
What does suspension mean anyway?
I can't speak on what it means for Miami and Pi Beta Phi, but it tends to mean that all activities on behalf of the chapter must cease and desist for a period of time unless waived by the national headquarters and/or university. This is a step beyond chapter probation/restriction.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
I can't speak on what it means for Miami and Pi Beta Phi, but it tends to mean that all activities on behalf of the chapter must cease and desist for a period of time unless waived by the national headquarters and/or university. This is a step beyond chapter probation/restriction.
Yeah, that's what it sounds like to me, so I'd interpret that as shut down for a year.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 05-11-2010, 09:50 AM
GreekChat Member

I know Miami doesn't have sorority chapter houses, but suites instead. Does this mean the Pi Beta Phi suite closes/ gets locked up, or does it revert to a "regular" dorm wing for a year? I would assume that housing assignments have already been done for next year, so I am curious the women that were going to live there next year...

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 05-11-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Yeah, that's what it sounds like to me, so I'd interpret that as shut down for a year.
From what I was reading though, these suspensions regularly get appealed so until there's something on the national sorority site that says they are dormant or resolved or closed or whatever you call it, I would assume the chapter is still open, just can't rush or do school/Panhel-sponsored activities.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

this is really bad for the MU PiPhi's. Today on the AM 700 WLW Bill Cunningham radio show, he interviewed the Lake Lyndsay Lodge event coordinator/manager/owner (same woman, an MU alumnus herself) at the facility where the formals were held. (This is the most listened to radio station in the tri-state, not your typical AM station. It's all I listen to anymore). Holy hell... the things she says she and other employee's witnessed... I'm surprised the univeristy only gave them a year suspension. She did say there were between 250-300 people there, but only about 20-30 students were involved in the destruction. The woman said she felt really bad that they've been suspended, that wasn't her intent... but she definately wanted to bring it to the schools attention. Apparently MU released the letter she wrote to them to the press, and it can be found online. (The link above). A sad situation all around, and considering how much press it's getting now, especially today's radio interview, I wouldnt be surprised if 1 year suspension/probation gets increased to something more.