GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,526
1 members and 1,525 guests
naraht

Old 08-30-2004, 07:44 AM
GreekChat Member

SpinOff from Reinventing Thread. . .Creating Chapters

Quote:
Originally posted by allsmiles_22

I also have the same feelings towards new graduate chapters being formed in areas where there are already a good number of them. Members say I don't like this chapter or any of the other chapters within this 20-mile radius, so I'll just charter another one. IMO we are diluting our resources and or org when we do this. Different topic though.

Rho4Life, this one's for you.

Carry on, folks.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with Soror Allsmiles. What really gets me is when they say that the chapter is "too old." I admit, I think that a chapter should have a nice mix of old and young members, but I will be the last one to run off and join a newly chartered chapter of all "young" sorors. You need the wisdom of "seasoned" sorors. It just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Last edited by Ideal08; 08-30-2004 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Its one thing to create a chapter in an area that has no chapter. i.e. my chapter serves the west side of the city when they majority of our chapters are on the south side. But if you don't like the way the President of the chapter looked at you when you read your report I'mma need you to get over it not start another chapter.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Quote:
Originally posted by Ideal08
I agree with Soror Allsmiles. What really gets me is when they say that the chapter is "too old." I admit, I think that a chapter should have a nice mix of old and young members, but I will be the last one to run off and join a newly chartered chapter of all "young" sorors. You need the wisdom of "seasoned" sorors. It just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.
Can I get an amen? My chapter is run by very capable "seasoned" veteran sorors, and I like it that way. We're trying to get younger, which is a good thing, but you really need the institutional memory to do the job correctly, IMO.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I have changed my mind over the years about multiple chapters in an area. I now think it may be healthier for the sorority.

1) I would rather have two or more reasonably functioning chapters than one big dysfunctional one.

2) The sorority as a whole probably benefits because more people will be financial as opposed to not paying dues because they don't like the chapter.

3) How a chapter functions really is all about personalities and who works well together--whether it is because of age, life stages, etc.

4.) There can't be too much community service in an area. So if more service is being done as a result of more chapters then that is a good thing.

So at this point I like to think of them as "expansions" rather than "splits."
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 08-30-2004, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with your #4, Ladygreek.

Not all expansions, if you will come about b/c of ill-will among members etc. Our chapter emerged, (but the ironic thing about it is) not ONE charter member was a member of the "mother" chapter (of the city).

There is SOOOOO much work that needs to be done. I don't care if one chapter has 5,000 members , they will not be able to do everything or touch everyone.

ETA)

Last edited by AKA2D '91; 08-30-2004 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

i think multiple alumnae chapters are a good thing. when you live in a city as large as houston, 3 chapters are necessary. and i've also heard that there is an interest in starting another.

as for chapters being "too old," i can agree with that. when you're coming from an undergrad chapter, esp. a small one, and get into a chapter full of "older" sorors, it's kinda easy to get lost. the chapter i'm in is considered "younger" but we still have older sorors (i joined because my family is in that chapter and don't nothing beat holding my aunt and cousin's hands at the end of the meetings ).

and i think that if more undergrad sorors felt comfortable and felt, for lack of a better word, equal, they would be more inclined to attend meetings. a lot of younger sorors i know go MAL because they just don't "feel" the alumnae chapters.

but, i will agree with Ideal08 in saying that you do need those more seasoned and wise sorors in a chapter too. i think that if alumnae chapters had more intake, there would be a good mix. waiting 5 to 7 years for intake isn't good to me.

I Stay Woke!!
Old 08-30-2004, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

As an UG that transferred into a Grad Chp

My question is: When do you get the urge to "feel" a graduate chapter?

I say joining chapters is sort of like starting a new job.... You are new, there are those that have been there since the "foundation" who know more or don't know JACK. Find your niche and GET BUSY!

Oh no! The "I" word... . That doesn't solve anything...(IMO)

It's about the QUALITY of the candidates (UG and Grad). I know. We've been there... done that (topic).
Old 08-30-2004, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks!!!!

CT4 Rocks!

ETA: Now that I've read some other people's responses, I guess I have another question - How often does this situation arise? Also, how many members does it take in each respective org to keep a grad chapter functioning, both by the rules [the minimum] and realistically?

Last edited by rho4life; 08-30-2004 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

i, too, went straight into the alumnae chapter and began working. but i'm also in a chapter with a good mix of younger sorors and i didn't feel intimidated in the least by older sorors. but, some do.

I Stay Woke!!
Old 08-30-2004, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MeezDiscreet
i, too, went straight into the alumnae chapter and began working. but i'm also in a chapter with a good mix of younger sorors and i didn't feel intimidated in the least by older sorors. but, some do.
We have a good mix of ages in my chapter--23-90. Our president is 36, the 1VP is 35 and the 2VP is 31. We have 109 members, but almost double that of non-financial sorors in the area.

Many of the non-financial sorors are 50+ and very honestly I wish they would start another chapter so they can get back into the work of Delta, rather than sitting out because they don't like our programming.

Being the Twin Cities, we could easily justify a Minneapolis/West Metro chapter and a St. Paul/East Metro chapter.

But unfortunately, the Kappas split into 2 alumni chapters years ago, and there was so much bad blood that no one wants to even consider it for fear it would make us "look bad."

Last edited by ladygreek; 08-30-2004 at 11:57 PM.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rho4life
ETA: Also, how many members does it take in each respective org to keep a grad chapter functioning, both by the rules [the minimum] and realistically?
I don't think that that info is relevant for non-members of AKA. Therefore, I am not about to "spill" that info. (TAYB)

Old 08-31-2004, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA2D '91
I don't think that that info is relevant for non-members of AKA. Therefore, I am not about to "spill" that info. (TAYB)

Ok, no worries I can appreciate your desire for privacy, but can you tell me what TAYB means????

Perhaps i didn't phrase the question well. I know that every org has a minimum number that you need on paper, and I'm wondering how far taht number is from the reality of how many women are really needed to make a chapter run smoothly. Let's say you need 5 for a chapter. Is 5 enough to run the show, or do you need 15? if you really need 15, then it seems you don't have a legitimate argument for splitting off until you get at least 30 members.
Old 08-31-2004, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rho4life
Ok, no worries I can appreciate your desire for privacy, but can you tell me what TAYB means????

Perhaps i didn't phrase the question well. I know that every org has a minimum number that you need on paper, and I'm wondering how far taht number is from the reality of how many women are really needed to make a chapter run smoothly. Let's say you need 5 for a chapter. Is 5 enough to run the show, or do you need 15? if you really need 15, then it seems you don't have a legitimate argument for splitting off until you get at least 30 members.
Oh I see what you are asking. We require a number exponential to the number of chapters. For example, a second chapter in the same area requires twice the minimum number to charter, a third chapter requires three times the number, etc.
Old 09-04-2004, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I helped charter a graduate chapter, two years out of UG, there were 46 charter members, maybe 5 five them came from active chapters in the area.

That area has one of the LARGEST CHAPTERS in the Sorority. At some point, second chapters (and third) make sense if going through roll call takes an hour.