GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,248
2 members and 1,246 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 05-26-2009, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyj87 View Post
areyou sure about these numbers? it was my understanding that chi omega had the most chapters...?
He's not talking about which sorority has the most chapters in general...
Old 05-26-2009, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaDancer View Post
He's not talking about which sorority has the most chapters in general...
Well yes I understand taht part. But if Chi Omega had the most chapters, wouldn't they have the highest average of chapters? Or am I just looking too much in to the numbers?

I'm sorry, my brain is on overdrive because of summer classes....
Old 05-26-2009, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

he is talking about the number of other chapters on campuses with each group.

So, if the organization with the most chapters was only on campuses with one other chapter (hypothetically..) then it wouldn't matter how many chapters that group had, oldu's average would still be 2.0.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyj87 View Post
Well yes I understand taht part. But if Chi Omega had the most chapters, wouldn't they have the highest average of chapters? Or am I just looking too much in to the numbers?

I'm sorry, my brain is on overdrive because of summer classes....
What? Um well, no, I don't think you do understand that part. You're talking about something different than he is.

He's talking about the number of chapters at schools, then looking at which sororities are at schools with the most chapters and which are at schools with fewer chapters. So, while Chi Omega may have a lot of chapters, to use your example, perhaps they are at schools that have fewer NPC chapters, while Pi Phi apparently tends to be at schools that have a greater number of NPC chapters.

I don't think he worded it as clearly as he should have because it's really confusing.

For the record, I really don't care about this topic whatsoever...I'm just trying to explain what oldu wrote.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie93 View Post
he is talking about the number of other chapters on campuses with each group.

So, if the organization with the most chapters was only on campuses with one other chapter (hypothetically..) then it wouldn't matter how many chapters that group had, oldu's average would still be 2.0.

ohh okay. I get it now
Old 05-26-2009, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldu View Post
With an average of 8.47 N.P.C. groups per institution, Pi Beta Phi meets the largest number of N.P.C. sororities. .
Yay! My sorority is better than everyone else's!!!!

...or not.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Clearly I'm in the minority, but I actually think this information is kind of interesting, and could be useful. As an advisor who works with several campuses (campi? I never liked that word...) with varying sizes of NPC chapters in their Panhellenic (from 3- 13), I think it can help explain some things. If one of my chapters on a smaller campus is considering a new recruitment structure, for example, the other organization(s)' response may be dictated by thier "comfort Level" of smaller campuses, and vice versa. I would like to see the full list of information compiled.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Several people have contacted me for a list of the schools which have at least half of the NPC sororities currently on campus:

Illinois, 20 (5 inactive NPC groups & 1 never there)
Penn State, 20 (5 inactive & 1 never there)
Indiana, 19 (5 inactive & 2 never there)
Auburn, 17 (no incative & 9 never there)
Georgia, 17 (2 inactive & 7 never there)
Alabama, 16 (5 inactive & 5 never there)
Florida, 16 (3 inactive & 7 never there)
Miami, 16 (7 inactive & 3 never there)
Purdue, 16 (3 inactive & 7 never there)
Washington, 16 (4 incative & 6 never there)
Florida State, 15 (7 inactive & 4 never there)
Virginia, 16 (4 inactive & 7 never there)
Bowling Green, 14 (2 inactive & 10 never there)
Iowa, 14 (6 inactive & 6 never there)
Maryland, 14 (6 inactive & 6 never there)
Missouri, 14 (8 inactive & 4 never there)
Nebraska, 14 (5 inactive & 7 never there)
Ohio State, 14 (10 inactive & 2 never there)
Texas, 14 (7 inactive & 5 never there)
Washington State, 14 (3 inactive & 9 never there)
Iowa State, 13 (3 inactive & 10 never there)
Kansas, 13 (6 inactive & 7 never there)
Michigan, 13 (10 inactive & 3 never there)
Michigan State, 13 (7 inactive & 6 never there)
Tennessee, 13 (5 inactive & 8 never there)
Virginia Tech, 3 inactive & 10 never there)

It is amazing that every NPC groups that has started a chapter at Auburn is currently active. It could be that there is less pressure on non-housed chapters to maintain numbers expected by the national organization.
The huge number of inactive sororities at Michigan & Ohio State shows how badly the Greek scene has deteriorated at some of the Big Ten schools. There is expansion activity at some of the above schools. Alpha Epsilon Phi has colonies at Michigan & Miami. I believe ZTA is also going to return to Michigan. With the Alpha Phi expansion to Kentucky next year they will also have 13 NPC groups. If there are any others, please advise.

Without naming specific groups, as that somehow sends some of the drama queens into hysteria, the NPC sororities with the smallest number of chapters at the largest Greek systems are those which began life at teachers colleges, or were originally Jewish or Catholic oriented.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Several people have contacted me for a list of the schools which have at least half of the NPC sororities currently on campus:
Then why didn't you just give them this information through PM. Haven't you already made threads about this anyways?
Old 05-27-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
The huge number of inactive sororities at Michigan & Ohio State shows how badly the Greek scene has deteriorated at some of the Big Ten schools.
This statement is stupid. If you are going on more sororities = better Greek life, IUP has a better Greek life than Ole Miss. (I don't think in terms of prestige or campus involvement that that is the case. Call it a kooky hunch.)

Also, without including dates of the chapter closures and reasons, the OMG SO MANY CLOSED CHAPTERS statistic means nothing.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Without naming specific groups, as that somehow sends some of the drama queens into hysteria, the NPC sororities with the smallest number of chapters at the largest Greek systems are those which began life at teachers colleges, or were originally Jewish or Catholic oriented.
You are officially an idiot.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I think this stuff is interesting.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri deezy View Post
I think this stuff is interesting.
Me too. I don't appreciate trying to determine what organization is "better" than another, but I am a stats person so I enjoy looking at Greek Life from this angle.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Until we get another Baird's published, I guess Oldu will just have to do. But again, I am bit of a history buff and find it rather interesting from that perspective. I guess is a bit of a viewpoint of his intentions.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I find it interesting too, but it seems to have a kind of un-panhellenic subtext occasionally. I'm not sure that Oldu intends that or if people sensitive to that read it in.

I don't think there's any harm in publishing it. I'm happy I joined the group I did and stats that don't put us on top don't really affect that. There are some NPC brands that seem more elite to most people; don't we all know that? It doesn't reflect on the sisterhood available elsewhere really, does it?

I also seriously doubt that PNMs evaluate the group they want to join based on these types of criteria, unless they are looking for some way to break an impossible tie in their own feelings.