GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,128
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, baadamashtolzea
» Online Users: 1,441
2 members and 1,439 guests
No Members online

Old 01-29-2006, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

More questions about deferred recruitment

The school where I advise is moving to delayed recruitment next fall (early November, school starts in August) and then to deferred recruitment the next year (January). I can (and pretty much did for the administrators and Greek Life Task Force) write a dissertation on why this is a bad idea from a Panhellenic standpoint. I'm not interested in hashing that out again. What I'm really looking for is facts from schools that have delayed (several weeks after school begins) or deferred recruitment.

1. If your recruitment is delayed, how do you charge new members dues? If we delay recruitment until early November they will miss 2/3 of a semester. Does anyone have this problem already and if yes, how do you handle it?

2. What are the rules at your school surrounding disaffiliation for Pi Chis/Rho Chis/Rho Gammas (whatever you call them at your school)? If you have Spring rush do they disaffiliate for the whole Fall Semester? And if so, do you charge them dues for that semester? Do you have a hard time getting people to apply for these positions since it means such a long disaffiliation?

3. What are the rules at your school surrounding contact between sorority members and freshmen women? We've historically had a pretty strict policy that allowed very little interaction - you could say hello, give them directions to their class, but not much more. How do you handle this when you don't know at the beginning of the semster which freshmen will choose to rush and which won't?

4. Do you find that most PNMs have already made up their mind about which group they want to join before Formal Recruitment begins?

5. If you have recently switched from Fall to Spring, did the number of women registering for Recruitment drop drastically?

Before anyone suggests it, yes, I did use the search function but I could not find the sort of information I needed.

Thanks!
Old 01-29-2006, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: More questions about deferred recruitment

Quote:
Originally posted by kiteflyerzl
The school where I advise is moving to delayed recruitment next fall (early November, school starts in August) and then to deferred recruitment the next year (January). . . . What I'm really looking for is facts from schools that have delayed (several weeks after school begins) or deferred recruitment. . . .

5. If you have recently switched from Fall to Spring, did the number of women registering for Recruitment drop drastically?
. . .
The U. of Colorado recently made the switch to deferred and reportedly saw a decline in registration. For a comparison of numbers, see:

http://www.thecampuspress.com/news/2006/01/bidday.php
Old 01-29-2006, 08:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Elon has done deferred recruitment in January (during our "fake break") for as long as I know.

1. If your recruitment is delayed, how do you charge new members dues?

They pay their new member fee for the spring semester.

2. What are the rules at your school surrounding disaffiliation for Pi Chis/Rho Chis/Rho Gammas (whatever you call them at your school)?

Our Pi Chis used to just disaffiliate for January. More recently they've started not wearing letters in October or so but still attending functions. They do not attend any events we have in January and essentially don't speak to sorority women for the month. A lot of people apply every year, and it's a very distinguished position.

3. What are the rules at your school surrounding contact between sorority members and freshmen women? We've historically had a pretty strict policy that allowed very little interaction - you could say hello, give them directions to their class, but not much more. How do you handle this when you don't know at the beginning of the semster which freshmen will choose to rush and which won't?

I think it's silly to allow no contact at all. Basically people at Elon can speak to whomever they want. You can't give freshmen gifts, though, because that's considered dirty rushing. The month of January begins the more strict silence.

4. Do you find that most PNMs have already made up their mind about which group they want to join before Formal Recruitment begins?

Most think they have but completely change their minds during recruitment. There are a few on my campus that everyone knows about, but some of the other ones surprise you during recruitment. I think it's fabulous because it gives you a semester to find friends and meet sorority women before making a decision instead of always being known as Sally XYZ. People definitely have a lot of friends outside of the house that they probably wouldn't have known if they joined before school began.

Can't answer that one. However, I do know that a lot of people go through recruitment only after being on campus and realizing that sororities aren't like what they are portrayed as on TV. Having a GDI older sister on my campus, I never would have gone through recruitment that first semester. After seeing the women, though, I was sold.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: More questions about deferred recruitment

Quote:
Originally posted by exlurker
The U. of Colorado recently made the switch to deferred and reportedly saw a decline in registration. For a comparison of numbers, see:

http://www.thecampuspress.com/news/2006/01/bidday.php
I don't know that U of Colorado is a good example because their Greek system has been through a lot of trauma recently (as have other Greek systems in Colorado) which made a lot of press and could have easily affected recruitment numbers.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
* Disclaimer: we're an all-local campus with a quarter system (trimesters, but that's semantics).

1. If your recruitment is delayed, how do you charge new members dues? If we delay recruitment until early November they will miss 2/3 of a semester. Does anyone have this problem already and if yes, how do you handle it?

- Rush happens in winter quarter and is drawn out over 3 weekends. At the end of January pledging begins and usually continues till the the week before finals so the girls have a week of study then their exams. Those that have 8+ week pledge periods give their girls a break during this period as well. Our pledges pay their $25 (half active dues) fee 3 weeks into pledging, when active member dues are due.

2. What are the rules at your school surrounding disaffiliation for Pi Chis/Rho Chis/Rho Gammas (whatever you call them at your school)? If you have Spring rush do they disaffiliate for the whole Fall Semester? And if so, do you charge them dues for that semester? Do you have a hard time getting people to apply for these positions since it means such a long disaffiliation?

- I was a PX, and our disaffiliation began 1/2 way into Fall Quarter, and continued until the end of rush, and PX's may attend their own final party. Since the disaffiliation is pretty relaxed, positions are easily filled.

- Fall quarter is supposed to be "civil" mixing. Freshwomen (and indp. sophomores) may not enter a sorority house unless she is a sister of a RESIDENT sister (not a non resident sister). Greetings, social interaction are OK, but talk of sorority is to be sparse and general and inclusive.

- Yes, in most cases. Although many end up changing their minds from their "dream" sorority to the one they actually love.

-yes, the # of rushees is very influenced by the fact that girls have the whole fall quarter to observe sorority life and to dispell the stereotypes
Old 01-30-2006, 08:11 AM

As far as #2 and #3, I believe there is a new NPC rule that says 30 days is the max someone can be disaffiliated for Rho Chi duties. Even if there isn't - they should absolutely, positively NOT be disaffilated for all of Fall semester, nor should there be any kind of silence for all of Fall semester. Both of these things completely contradict what deferred rush is supposed to accomplish - meeting sorority women in a normal social environment.

The best thing would be for them to disaffiliate/have silence only for 2 weeks or so before rush. Strict silence (no contact at all) between pref and bid day.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Georgetown College, Georgetown KY

Our girls will disaffliate around homecoming, normally in October. They don't wear letters, remove them from cars, and try to mix with all groups.

I don't know about dues. I was never one, so I don't really know that part.

I don't think any of the groups have a hard time getting GP.

This is a problem at GC because there is a lot of "dirty rushing". The only greek silence period is after everyone returns from Christmas break until Chapel Day.

As to the groups... we do have a lot of girls that decide which group is for them before recruitment starts. This is good and bad... because some girl always gets cut from the group that "dirty rushed" them the semester before. It is better now with four groups but when there was only 3 groups it was really really bad. We also have girls who would not be greek because they have formed impressions of greek life and what type of girls join... WE have girls who would join a group because their sister was in that group, instead of where they "fit" in.

I have thought on this topic for my own college before. Both ways have their drawbacks. I think in the end that deferred is best for the freshman because they are allowed to be freshman without having an letters attached. They form friendships with women that they might not have if they rushed during the first weeks. They have better grades and they are
Each day has enough trouble of its own!" ~Matthew 6:34
Old 03-06-2006, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Miami Univeristy - Oxford, OH has deferred recruitment - we start in January and come back a week early from Winter Break.

1. If your recruitment is delayed, how do you charge new members dues?
New Members pay their dues for the spring semester, and the new member dues are included in that.

2. What are the rules at your school surrounding disaffiliation for Pi Chis/Rho Chis/Rho Gammas ?
They disafilliate for the entire Fall Semester. They still pay dues and can come to all of our chapter events - just can't wear letters. We do not have a hard time having people become Rho Chis. It's viewed as an honor and a great experience.

3. What are the rules at your school surrounding contact between sorority members and freshmen women?
We have also historically had very strict contact. However, this year Panhel drastically changed our recruitment. We are allowed any and all contact with PNMs for the entire first semester. We have numerous activities called "sprite dates" put on by the different sororities that we invite the PNMs to come to. This allows them to learn about sorority life. I'm our Formal Recruitment Chair, so if you PM me I could tell you about this in greater detail.

I don't think this is the case at all. We work really hard so that the PNMs see ALL the organizations. Yes, some probably do decide, but most are pretty open minded. Plus, our school is very competitive, and even if they've made up their minds - that does not guarantee that the GLO will select them.

N/A

Good luck!

Last edited by EtaEpsilove; 03-06-2006 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment at Ole Miss is delayed into the fall semester until about 6-8 weeks. In Fall 2006 it will be about 8 weeks into the semester falling during mid-terms.

1. If your recruitment is delayed, how do you charge new members dues? If they pledge say on October 2 like this past year we did not start charging them until November. However they were charged for the full month of December because we didn't start billing them right away. This has never been a problem. We usually just wait a couple of weeks for them to get adjusted. However, they do have to pay their new member fee right away.

2. What are the rules at your school surrounding disaffiliation for Pi Chis/Rho Chis/Rho Gammas (whatever you call them at your school)? For our Rho Chi's they can still eat the house and so we do not discount them at all. They have never asked so that is probably why we have never discounted their dues. Our Greek life encourages them to attend events still but they are to attend chapter meetings and then leave when anything rush related is talked about. They also just have to be careful and use the back door before rush when they come to eat at the house.

3. What are the rules at your school surrounding contact between sorority members and freshmen women?
At Ole Miss it is pretty strict but PNM's can still talk to sorority members but it has to be about other things and if they talk about rush it has to be general talk. They start silence week the week before I believe. Our Greek Life is changing up some rules. They also do not allow sorority members to give rides or buy things for PNM's which I think most schools have those rules.

4. Do you find that most PNMs have already made up their mind about which group they want to join before Formal Recruitment begins? It just depends. Some girls know the want to be an XYZ before they even graduate high school. However, some girls can be won over during that time. It is a great time for a sorority who is not always a first chioce to step up their PR efforts before rush starts. They can for example all wear the same shirts to class on a certain, have a philanthropic event before rush, stuff like that. It is possible to win over a few more girls before the game starts.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally posted by OleMissGlitter
In Fall 2006 it will be about 8 weeks into the semester falling during mid-terms.
That sounds like a disaster. Why did they pick that week?
Old 03-09-2006, 08:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aopirose
That sounds like a disaster. Why did they pick that week?
I have the same question. Rush during MIDTERMS? That doesn't make much sense.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alum
I have the same question. Rush during MIDTERMS? That doesn't make much sense.
That is what they picked. Not much we can do. All 9 NPC groups have requested a meeting with some people in high places but it has not happened yet. Our NPC delegates are even in on the situation. Trust me, no one is happy with the date. We all came up with reasons to move it, got data on retention and grades and how this will affect all of us, but we haven't heard anything yet.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Glitter - it sounds like exactly what is happening at our school. We had a meeting with a higher-up but she basically refused to consider any of our objections.

Good luck!
Old 03-09-2006, 09:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Which "higher up?" Did you involve the Dean of Student Activities? I can imagine s/he would raise an objection to spending money allocated from the student services and activities fee on an event during a period that conflicts with the academic calendar due to exams.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PiPhiGirl2005

Our recruitment is delayed until the beginning of second semester, so they pay dues for that semester.

2. What are the rules at your school surrounding disaffiliation for Pi Chis/Rho Chis/Rho Gammas (whatever you call them at your school)?

We do not have Pi Chis/Rho Chis/Whatever. The Panhellenic representatives from the houses usher the girls around during recruitment. They do not have to disaffiliate and their affiliations are pretty common knowledge.

We are allowed to talk to them, etc. They cannot come over the the sorority houses, Greek women cannot give rides to freshman women, there can be no lending of clothes, money, and such between Greek and freshmen women. The situation is treated as if every freshmen may rush, so they are all treated the same.

Kind of. We really struggled with that at my school - "labeling" the PNMs.... "Oh, that girl is definitely going to go XYZ," etc. Or, assuming that a girl definitely would go Pi Phi because of a comment she made during first semester. Certainly, the freshmen get a chance to get to know all the houses, meet the members, see maybe the good and bad aspects of Greek life and each house, and hear all the stereotypes, whether true or not. I think that during first semster, the PNMs defiinitely get a feel for which house(s) they may fit best in. Conversely, we get a feel for which freshmen maybe would fit best in which houses. My chapter is getting a lot better about not making assumptions about PNMs based on their actions or things they've said.

N/A. However, our fraternities recently switched from a deferred rush to a fall rush (with a winter rush, also). It hasn't so much affected their numbers as it has affected the way their houses recruit, elect officers, etc. because their larger pledge classes are now typically in the fall.