GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,441
2 members and 1,439 guests
PrettyBoy

Old 02-12-2019, 09:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Yale lawsuit

This lawsuit perplexes me. It's like the plaintiffs want the university to take the Harvard approach, and I don't see Yale hopping on that band wagon, considering the backlash and legal action. What I really don't get is their rejection of sororities as a means of female empowerment.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/yale-fr...tegrate-women/

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 02-12-2019 at 11:24 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-12-2019, 11:54 AM

I absolutely fail to believe that there were no other places to party other than at fraternity houses for the first months of school. Don’t they have housing that includes all classes? Why not ask an upperclassman about alternatives?

I also don’t get where they say “our friends are holding parties in these spaces.” If they really are friends with guys in the fraternities, why don’t they ask them to look out for them?

The only conclusion I can come to is that they think making the fraternities coed will lessen interest and they will die out. A better tack to take would be to create a local sorority that is not bound by the alcohol restrictions that NPC groups have. Side note, do the NPC sororities have houses? Not to try and bust anyone but is the letter of the law really followed?
Old 02-12-2019, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Lawsuit makes no sense at all. None. If you don't like what happens at (btw, private) fraternity parties.... DON'T GO!!! How difficult is that?

Don't whine that there is nothing else to do. Make your own entertainment. Sheesh.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

12(b)(6)….
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 02-12-2019, 09:26 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ Well, their attorney looks like he's about 25.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:08 AM
GreekChat Member

This link has more information. https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2019/...ue-yale-frats/

I
Old 02-13-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
^^^ Well, their attorney looks like he's about 25.
Yeah, he doesn’t even shave yet.

When the analyst said “this case is extremely complicated” I thought she said “this case is enormously knuckleheaded.” I’m thinking my first impression was right lol.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
If there are fraternities who are amenable to the idea of going coed, why don’t they just turn in their charters and become a local group? If the school and the Greek system would say they’d support them, why not? It works at Dartmouth.

But I think these girls want to have their cake and eat it too - they don’t just want a coed organization, they want the big houses and what they perceive as networking opportunities.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I absolutely fail to believe that there were no other places to party other than at fraternity houses for the first months of school. Don’t they have housing that includes all classes? Why not ask an upperclassman about alternatives?
I "sort of" get this. Having worked in New Haven, I can tell you that there is a very high crime rate - not so much in the immediate area of the Yale campus and town green, but go just a couple of blocks away and you're liable to be mugged, or worse. If you're unfamiliar with New Haven, and you're new to campus and haven't made a lot of friends yet, you might very well think that the only "safe" place to party is at a fraternity house near campus.

Then again, like you said, these freshmen most likely are living in dorms, so why not grab your roommates or the folks down the hall and go out for dinner or something? Obviously the freshmen wouldn't be able to get into bars, and I know nothing of the club scene in NH, but there are some pretty good restaurants near campus. Or find a TV show that a lot of people like, and host watch parties. If social activities other than fraternity parties "don't exist", take the initiative!

And if you look at the situation at Harvard, as I understand it, many of the men's groups (fraternities and finals clubs) are still men-only. It was the sororities that went coed or disbanded. If this lawsuit goes through, that very well might happen at Yale.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm guessing if forced to admit women the local chapters would shut down before allowing women?
Old 02-13-2019, 05:33 PM

Well according to this, Sig Ep invited women to rush the last 2 years.

https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2017/...ents-to-women/

https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2018/...-rushes-sigep/

What grinds my gears is the people saying “just let women in, who cares what your nationals say” and don’t get that the consequences are quite a bit more than “provoking” them. They don’t seem to understand that making that decision is a big deal. I know I kind of said that below, but only because it seemed some groups were looking to that route as well. There is a coed fraternity there already, so these women can’t argue the option doesn’t exist.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
If there are fraternities who are amenable to the idea of going coed, why don’t they just turn in their charters and become a local group? If the school and the Greek system would say they’d support them, why not? It works at Dartmouth.

But I think these girls want to have their cake and eat it too - they don’t just want a coed organization, they want the big houses and what they perceive as networking opportunities.
It really frosted my cake when the one plaintiff dismissed sororities as not having the same networking (read "old boys network") opportunities.

In my opinion, if they feel Yale hasn't addressed their repeated complaints about sexual assaults and misogynist/rude/hateful comments, file assault/harassment police reports. Don't sue to join the groups that you supposedly can't stand, because they have good parties and great networking opportunities. Start your own group and forge a new path with like-minded peers. Empower yourself. That's how sororities started. It makes me sad that they don't realize this/dismissed the journalist's suggestion.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

If you look up the engender group in the Yale link, they sound like another group that wants to end all single gender organizations.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
If you look up the engender group in the Yale link, they sound like another group that wants to end all single gender organizations.

I did that - seems that the plaintiffs in the lawsuit are officers in Engender.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:16 PM

I wonder if one of the fraternities would give their nice big fancy house to Engender if they would just go away and shut the hell up.

Sorry that sounds harsh, but to me this is nothing but whining that someone has something that you don’t. Guess what! Life is hard! The people who have been around a city or town or school the longest usually have the most and the best. I’m sorry but that’s a fact of life. If you didn’t want to go to school someplace full of traditions - some admittedly archaic - why on earth did you pick one of the oldest universities in the nation?

Unless there is some rule compelling students to live in campus housing unless they are Greek, find a house off campus, move a bunch of people into it, and create the living and social space you want, instead of trying to destroy someone else’s.