GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,471
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, veasfrances2534
» Online Users: 2,141
3 members and 2,138 guests
AlwaysSAI, KatieKate1244, naraht

Old 05-24-2003, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Sample Letters of Rec...

I have requested several letters of recomendation from a few people, but some are recent alums and don't know what to put in the letter, and what to include. Can anyone show me a sample letter, as well as to let me know what else needs to go in the letter? And will there be an oppertunity for me to submit my resume to the sororities during rush?

Also, should I send an email to the chapter presidents just to say hi, I'm interested in your sorority? Or email them my resume? I'm new at this, so sorry for all the questions!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-24-2003, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

National Web sites have rec forms -- Pi Phi calls them rush information forms -- for alumae to print out and fill in.

Do not contact the chapters at your school in any way, shape or form! This is not allowed. Do not bring a resume with you to the parties, either. The chapters will have the information you submitted when you registered for rush, plus any recs they receive for you. Every chapter has officers specifically to handle the process.
Old 05-24-2003, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PixieChickMTSU
This is a good question because I need to know as well! I am working on my reccomendations as well. You can go to the various sorority websites and print off a reccomendation form. Some only the alum have access too but I know KD and DZ are printable to everyone. The ladies I am recieving recs from told me to look at the forms and tell them some of the highlights about me reguarding some of the questions. I am also interested to know if e-mailing the chapter president is a good idea or not. Let us know!

Kara
KKHBear24@hotmail.com
Old 05-24-2003, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

No, no, no! Stay away from the chapter president! You are allowed to speak to actives only during parties, except for exhanging pleasantries.
Old 05-24-2003, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I work with a KD, and I'm even careful of conversations with her at work so that no one can accuse her of inappropriate conversation with a PNM. Of course, conversation is unavoidable since we work together in the same classroom, but I haven't even told her I'm going through recruitment so that there won't even be a lead in to an inappropriate conversation. You're safest to just work on getting recs, talking to the wonderful ladies of GC, and other PNMs about stuff. One of my friends a couple of years ago was (unjustly) accused of dirty rushing and it was not a pretty business.

Edited because, once again, I can't type.
Old 05-24-2003, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

And if, during rush, you find that sorority women don't seem to want to talk to you outside of the parties, don't think they're being rude. They're just afraid that if they say the wrong thing, they'll be accused of dirty rushing, and their whole chapter will be penalized. Follow MTSUGURL'S lead.
Old 05-24-2003, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

so basically, I send my resume and pics to the person writing the letter, have them write a letter saying what is in my resume, and they send the pics and letter (which basically lists my qualifications?)
Old 05-24-2003, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes. The alumna will take care of it for you from there. The only things you should bring to rush parties are yourself and a positive attitude.
Old 05-24-2003, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Silverblue - thanks for the advice that you are so awesome about handing out to us PNMs!
Old 05-24-2003, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

You're welcome. I just want everybody to end up in a chapter where they can be happy, even if it's not one of my organization, though that's certainly a bonus! You'll find that everyone on this board has good friends in other groups, and we're all so happy when a PNM finds her home, wherever that may be.

If you wonder about something, ask, and we alumnae and actives can give you an answer and guide you around any potential land mines.
Old 05-24-2003, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Silverblue, you are giving such good advice to these wonderful pnms! They will be so far ahead of the game by listening to you!

To repeat what Silverblue has said, please don't make inappropriate contact with any of the sisters at the school where you will be rushing!!! Not only will that reflect badly on the chapter (who could face fines, etc), but it won't do you any favors, either!

Alumnae & sisters at OTHER chapters are fair game, however! Please let us know what we can do to help you! That's what we're here for!!

(Well, that and a lot of encouragement!)
Old 05-25-2003, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Contact the alumnae in your hometown for a recommendation. As said previously, those alumnae can obtain a recommendation form from their respective HQs.

To help out the alumnae who have committed to writing your rec, include a picture, a resume, and a letter that describes you, other than what's on your resume.

For example, what do you like to talk about? Have you had an interesting job (ie, volunteer at a vet's office or work at Disney)? Have you traveled anywhere exciting? Anything that allows insight about your personality & how you can be an asset to the chapter will help the alumna who is writing your rec.

Good luck!
Old 05-25-2003, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Ok .. not having much better to do this afternoon - I did some online research of each NPC web site. Here's a list of the sites that had forms or other instructions on line:

Pi Beta Phi - http://www.pibetaphi.org/main/RIF-%20PUBLIC.pdf

Alpha Phi - http://www.alphaphi.org/collegiate_i...giateinfo.html - click on Potential member introduction form - password protected

Delta Gamma - http://www.deltagamma.org/forms/sponsor.pdf

Gamma Phi Beta - http://www.gammaphibeta.org/ - click on "How Do I?" and then see Recommend a women for membership at the bottom of the page

Delta Delta Delta - http://www.tridelta.org/collcorner/collcorner.htm - See section: How Tri Delta Alumnae Can Help

Alpha Xi Delta - http://www.alphaxidelta.org/pdfs/MemberProfile.pdf

Chi Omega - http://www.chiomega.com/chiomega/?recruitment - See section: RECRUITMENT ADVISORS, ALUMNAE RECRUITMENT INFORMATION CHAIRMEN, AND ALUMNAE

Sigma Kappa - http://www.sigmakappa.org/_sisters/S...intro_form.pdf

Alpha Omicron Pi - http://www.alphaomicronpi.org/conten...ruitframe.html - see section: Attention AOII alumnae:

Delta Zeta - http://www.deltazeta.org/01refform.pdf

Kappa Delta - http://www.kappadelta.org/Services/forms/reference.pdf

Alpha Sigma Tau - http://www.alphasigmatau.org/content...ruitment.shtml (on line)

Last edited by AZ-AlphaXi; 05-25-2003 at 11:46 PM.
Old 05-26-2003, 12:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
Kappas can find Membership Data Forms in the "Sisters Only" section of the website, through their Alumnae Chapter, or in our magazine, The Key.

I agree with everything Silverblue has said about not contacting the chapters, etc. The only thing I'll add to her list of what to bring to parties is comfortable shoes! I'm sure some of our UF actives can attest to the fact that their rush is like a marathon in 90-degree heat & humidity.

Your best bet for recs is to go with alumnae who know you (if at all possible). If you don't know Greek women from all the chapters, contact your local alumnae panhellenic. If you're getting recs from a woman in your area whom you haven't met, invite her out for lunch or coffee so she can get a taste of your personality. You can give her your photo & resume there.

Good luck with everything! Keep us posted!
Old 05-26-2003, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I have requested several letters of recomendation from a few people, but some are recent alums and don't know what to put in the letter, and what to include.

I think I write a darn good rec letter! Every mother has told me
that the sorority knew all about the girl when she walked in.

For example, you can say, I've known Sally since she was ten years old. OR, you can say,-When her mother and I worked on the cookbook for the Junior League, she would bring Sally. What a help she was...

You can give out a ton of information in a couple of sentences if you think about it. It may not matter a hill of beans in some places. In others, it makes a difference. THAT'S why you get the best rec from someone you actually know. THAT'S why, some chapters want to know what community involvement your parents had.

So, though this topic took a turn, all you who are in a position to write a rec, really think about what you say. I have a file on some of my better letters. That way, I can plug in the info that applies in a very positive, individualized way.