GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Phi > Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 2,389
1 members and 2,388 guests
Xidelt

Old 07-25-2006, 10:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat81
The confusion may get cleared up, though. A proposal will be considered by the National Assembly next month to add this language to Article XX (Rituals and Symbols) of the National Constitution:

Display of Symbols. Only Sinfonians in good standing may wear or otherwise display the Greek letters "FMA" or the Fraternity’s Coat-of-Arms. Probationary members may not wear or otherwise display these symbols at any time prior to initiation. A member may not authorize or encourage a non-Sinfonian to wear or otherwise display these symbols.
It is my understanding that the proposed amendment to Article XX was adopted at the National Assembly last week.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-25-2006, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Hello, all. I am from the Kappa Sigma chapter of PMA at Valparaiso University. I see that we have already been mentioned, so I felt the need to detail our process. It is very similar to what nehpets99 said about it, except we don't require permission from the brotherhood. Granted, it is seen as a very good thing to get permission first, but it is not without precedent to do it without full knowledge of the brotherhood.

The way that we view lavaliering here at KS is that it isn't so much that you just want your loved one to wear your letters, but you want to bring them into your fraternal "family". They still don't learn fraternity secrets, as they aren't an active brother, but they are allowed to wear letters and just get to be more intigrated into the fraternity. And yes, it is also generally seen as a precursor to engagement/marraige.

Also, it is generally seen that you only ever get one lavaliering. If you happen to break up with someone that you lavaliered, generally you cannot re-lavalier. Again, it is not without precedent, but it is quite a social faux pas.

That's weird about not selling them anymore... Our campus bookstore still sells some PMA lavaliers. How odd...

However, this new amendement could change things very soon... Hmm... I think we have a lazy provence governor, as we've never heard of anything about this...
Old 07-25-2006, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Welcome, Brother Tarc! Glad to have you here!

I doubt that it's a matter of a lazy PG. From what I can tell, practice has varied from chapter to chapter and province to province. From your description, it sounds like Kappa Sigma (about which I have always heard great things) has made laveliering a regular practice. Perhaps it has been accepted practice in your Province as well. While perhaps a majority of chapters have, at least recently, decided that only Sinfonians should were the letters, many others have viewed it differently.

The amendment approved last week was, I think, a referendum on whether there should be a standard practice across the Fraternity or whether we should continue with variation from chapter to chapter and province to province. It would seem that the decision was that there should be a standard practice across the Fraternity.

Note, though, that the only two things that are "prohibited" are the Greek letters and the coat-of-arms.

Last edited by MysticCat; 09-06-2006 at 02:01 PM.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

So, if it is now illegal nationally for anyone but brothers to wear letters or the crest, does that mean that all of those who have been lavaliered can no longer wear the letters that were given to them...?

Also, I searched sinfonia.org for the official ruling/statement on the matter, but I haven't found anything, so if any one could link to the official statement on the matter so I can pass it along, that would be great.

Thanks everyone!

OASAASLLS
Old 08-02-2006, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarc
So, if it is now illegal nationally for anyone but brothers to wear letters or the crest, does that mean that all of those who have been lavaliered can no longer wear the letters that were given to them...?
I would assume that, in the spirit of affection, we would consider them "grandfathered" ("grandmothered"?).

Quote:
Also, I searched sinfonia.org for the official ruling/statement on the matter, but I haven't found anything, so if any one could link to the official statement on the matter so I can pass it along, that would be great.
It does not appear that sinfonia.org has been updated with the business transacted at the Assembly, but the docket can be found here. The proposal that I quoted above is NCP52-18 (found at page 45 of the .pdf file). According either to something I read at the 2006 Sinfonia Convention Blog or on sinfonia.org's listserv (not sure which), the proposal was adopted by the National Assembly.

I assume that sinfonia.org will be updated fairly soon to provide reports on the National Assembly and to provide updated copies of the Constitution and General Regulations. In the meantime, contact your Province Governor or CPR.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to buttnose
I'm glad that this topic is getting more attention! On the SDG (national Sinfonian Listserv) just recently, there were a couple of emails that referenced this thread. It seems like there are many brothers who are frustrated or concerned with the lack of an enforced standard in this matter. Hopefully with the new legislation, this will become a clearly defined matter across every chapter.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Lavaliering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarc
Hello, all. I am from the Kappa Sigma chapter of PMA at Valparaiso University.

And yes, it is also generally seen as a precursor to engagement/marraige.

Also, it is generally seen that you only ever get one lavaliering. If you happen to break up with someone that you lavaliered, generally you cannot re-lavalier. Again, it is not without precedent, but it is quite a social faux pas.
I personally don't see the lavaliering concept to be an issue. I agree with my brothers at KS in that it seems like a controled methodology that premotes the "family" bond without revealing secrets.

Anyone interested in amending has my support.

Regards,

Boodleboy322
Old 09-11-2006, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

The issue at hand is that there are people walking around, for whatever reason, wearing the insignia of our fraternity. For legal liability sake, this means people can hurt our good name while "representing" us. According to our order NOBODY who has not been an initiated brother can wear our letters or Coat of Arms (it's NOT a crest). Now for chivalry's sake, sure, give up your jacket or hoodie to your significant other when need be, but don't make it a common thing to have that person wear our letters for leisure.

Edward J Stringham, Iota chapter, wrote in the 1914 Sinfonia Yearbook: "Always remember that you are only one of many, yet a thousand eyes are upon you and will judge the whole Fraternity by your deeds, words, and character." This being said, don't let somebody not initiated act with our letters on them in any way, because you never know how they will represent us.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

recently, the Sinfonia store has been selling sweetheart clothing. The clothing says "Sinfonian sweetheart", and after reviewing the national constitution it seems that this is an acceptable loop hole in the matter. i know this does nothing to help those who are not brothers who own letters, it may help those who wish get some sort of gift for girlfriends, sweethearts, etc. Just put Sinfonia on there instead of the letters.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Welcome bschloz, and thanks for pointing out the Sinfonian Sweetheart items that the Sinfonia Store has. My understanding is that there will be more to come.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Welcome bschloz, and thanks for pointing out the Sinfonian Sweetheart items that the Sinfonia Store has. My understanding is that there will be more to come.
I'm seeing MysticCat's order form under Special Comments or Requests saying, "Does that come in Kappa?".
Old 12-10-2007, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
I'm seeing MysticCat's order form under Special Comments or Requests saying, "Does that come in Kappa?".
I'll just see if I can get something with chrysanthemums and irises on it.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Wearing the Letters

The Fraternity is a social and male fraternity. There shouldn't be any issue if the Ms/Mrs. has them in my opinion. No harm - No foul since the letters pertain to the group and not your woman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingScot82 View Post
The issue at hand is that there are people walking around, for whatever reason, wearing the insignia of our fraternity. For legal liability sake, this means people can hurt our good name while "representing" us. According to our order NOBODY who has not been an initiated brother can wear our letters or Coat of Arms (it's NOT a crest). Now for chivalry's sake, sure, give up your jacket or hoodie to your significant other when need be, but don't make it a common thing to have that person wear our letters for leisure.

Edward J Stringham, Iota chapter, wrote in the 1914 Sinfonia Yearbook: "Always remember that you are only one of many, yet a thousand eyes are upon you and will judge the whole Fraternity by your deeds, words, and character." This being said, don't let somebody not initiated act with our letters on them in any way, because you never know how they will represent us.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
I know we can't wear each other's letters, but.....

Say if I were to order my boyfriend and I matching letters, could mine have "G phi B" in Greek, and then "phi mu alpha" spelled out across them (with sweetheart underneath)?
and vice versa, could I get him PMA letters with "gamma phi beta" spelled out across them?

Or is it somehow desecrating them? I had a friend who had ADpi letters like that, and thought it was really cute.

I don't want to break any rules or spend a fortune on something we can't wear....
Former Greek Judicial Board Chairwoman 07
Former Standards Chairwoman 06 and Ritual Chairwoman 07
Old 12-19-2007, 09:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDlegacy View Post
I know we can't wear each other's letters, but.....

Say if I were to order my boyfriend and I matching letters, could mine have "G phi B" in Greek, and then "phi mu alpha" spelled out across them (with sweetheart underneath)?
and vice versa, could I get him PMA letters with "gamma phi beta" spelled out across them?

Or is it somehow desecrating them? I had a friend who had ADpi letters like that, and thought it was really cute.

I don't want to break any rules or spend a fortune on something we can't wear....
So far as I know, what you've described would be fine. Feelings about how far one can go with the letters thing can vary from chapter to chapter though, so you might ask some of his chapter brothers whether they'd see a problem, but I don't see one. Sounds cool!