GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,227
2 members and 2,225 guests
LaneSig

Old 08-12-2005, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

sILMil20 rush story

So recruitment '05 starts on Monday at Sam Houston State University in texas. I am soooooooo excited, and a bit nervous. i can't wait. I know I am going to have the time of my life and hopefully find sisters for a lifetime. There are four NPC sororities at my school.
Alpha Chi Omega
Sigma Sigma Sigma
Alpha Delta Pi
Zeta Tau Alpha

Currently I like all of them and one just a little more, but not much more. I am just excited to get to know more about all of them. I am a little nervous. I am a minority and a junior so I guess that puts me at a slight disadvantage. However, I am prepared to be myself and hopefully find a place i fit in.

Leave advice. And thanks in advance for reading my rush thread.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-12-2005, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

WOOHOO for another Texas Rush Story....not to mention a school w/ ADPi!

Good luck!!!
Old 08-12-2005, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile Good Luck!

Just wanted to say Good luck to you and your search for a home! I'm not sure how rush works there, but I wouldn't worry about being a minority or a Junior - a great sister is a great sister no matter what.

Please keep us all updated on how everything goes & good luck!

Old 08-12-2005, 06:23 PM
ADPiZXalum

Yah hoo for another TEXAS school!!! I've heard that all four chapters at Sam are FABULOUS. Any of them would be a good choice. Of course I pull for one a little more than the others.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

all the best to you...
have fun, meet lotsa nice folks and see what happens.
the "who knows" factor is always intriquing.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:56 PM

I don't usually post in these threads, but don't worry about your race. As a black woman who's an active sorority member- If you be yourself, present yourself well, show alot of interest in being Greek, and have grades/other good qualities, you'll do just fine.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by peanutttu
WOOHOO for another Texas Rush Story....not to mention a school w/ ADPi!

Good luck!!!

All about ADPi

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

Have a wonderful time!!!!!!

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 08-15-2005, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi Girls. So I just got back a lil while ago from day one of recruitment which was orientation/brag night. It was a lot less stressing then I thought it would be. When I first got there I was a little apprehensive about the minority thing but after a few minutes I forgot about it. So I will name the 4 sororities by cartoon names.

Doug
PepperAnn
Braceface
Lizzie

So Doug was pretty nice. All the girls seemed really cool and easy to talk to xcept for the last one I talked to. She seemed really nervous and kept looking out into spacfe. It ws kind of hard to talk to her bc it seemed like she was just waiting for someone else to come toalk to me.

PepperAnn was great. It was so easy to talk to these girls and I wasn't nervous at all. One of them actually commented on how calm and collected I was. And that was when I realized I wasn't nervous. It was not nearly as scary as I thought it would be. The girls from this house were super energetic and super excited about their sorority. They had so much to say I actually had lil time to ask ?'s, although they did answer most of them. My fav from today, and from what I heard a lot of other people's fav as well.

Braceface was nice. I already knew of a girl from this sorority and she happened to be my first member I talked to. SHe seemed really nervous as well. But overall it was a nice experience. One of the girls i had to talk to didn't have much to say though. It was kind of weird. I kind of felt like they just weren't in to me. Nice girls, but hopefully I'll have better conversations tommorrow.

Lizzie was the sorority that I previously liked more then the other ones. However today they kind of fell down the list. The girls didn't have too much to say about their sorority. I wanted to know about community service but they couldn't tell me too much. But some of the girls were very energetic and just came up to me and introduced themselves while I was talking to another member. But the last member I talked to was a lot more lively. She made me like the house a lil better. Very friendly and had a lot of good things to say.

I guess if I had to rank them I would say
PepperAnn
Lizzie
Doug
Braceface

They are all great sororities so it is a really hard choice. I only got to meet a few girls from each so I don't know enough about any of them to be set on one. It is still up in the air. Although I love Lizzie's founder background, and PepperAnn's Philanthropy. Hmm. We'll see.

So I know I read somewhere I am supposed to take everything offered. they kept offering me bottles of water, but I drink slow and never finished b4 it was time to go. Is it okay to not take everything. I just hate wasting.
Also I kind of ran out of questions to ask. What would be some good type of questions to ask for philanthropy night? Also the simple dress I bought for skit night simply won't fit. I was going to just wear a skirt with a kind of dressy shirt instead. And for philanthropy I am wearing some capris with a dressy shirt and heels. Is that appropriate?

Thanx for all the help yall keep giving me. I really do appreciate me. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Wish me luck.

Hopefully I'll by friday I can be a cartoon sister, lol.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Rooting for pepperann!!!!

I think the clothes you have picked out sound good.

Can't wait to "read" more tomorrow

Good Luck!!!!

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 08-15-2005, 11:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Good Philanthropy questions??? I'm sure you've done this, but....

Have you looked at their websites to see what their national philanthropy is? Does it pertain to anything you have done in the past? Can you draw from that experience?

What local philanthropies do they support? Is it just raising money or do they actually interact with their philanthropy? Do they participate in campus sponsored projects? Do they support and participate in other Greek orgs phil events? I would be they do a little bit of everything!!!

For the sister recruiting you....what's her favorite philanthropy project? How did she feel when she helped out? How is the project you are working on going to help/support the local philanthropy? Has she become more involved/aware of philanthropy opportunities when she joined her chapter.

Then, feel free to stray into other topics you are interested in....the chapter's campus involvement, social activities, intramurals, etc. Whatever you are comfortable with.

Good Luck!!!
Old 08-16-2005, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah! A recruitment story with Sigma in it! I guess I'm going to have to give in to the temptation to become a GC recruitment story addict again this year....sigh...

Best of luck to you!
Old 08-16-2005, 01:20 PM
GreekChat Member

So I am so excited for today. At 2 we start our group meetings with our Rho Gammas. Then from 3:15 to 8 we will be attending philanthropy parties. I am excited. I love my outfit. I also bought a bracelet and some cool unique earrings to wear with it. I won't to find a necklace but I couldn't find one that went with the overall look. I'm excited. I want to stick out in a good way, and I want to be remembered so I am trying to think of some interesting ?'s that not everyone is asking. I know I already stick out a lil because of a certain aspect but I don't know. It is kind of hard to share my accomplishments with them because we get so little time. Today is longer so hopely I'll have a longer time to connect with the girls. After much thought I realize that I still like all of the girls and can't choose which I prefer yet. I met the best sample of people from PepperAnn, but I know that they all have a variety of people and I would need to fit with the whole variety. So yeah wish me luck. Thanks for all the comments and PM's I've been getting. They are really encouraging.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck and have lots of fun!
Old 08-16-2005, 10:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I just got back from the parties tonight. I am having so much fun and gaining so much from this experience. Talk about learning how to make friends. Today was great. I had fun learning all about the different philanthropies and community service. I absolutely love giving back to the community so the community service aspect of the sororities was really exciting. I told them all about how I love doing community service and that my family even does community service as a whole. Surprisingly many told me that most girls hate it. But yeah it was a very fun night.

At Doug I had a good time. I really connected with the girls I talked to and loved their skit. I like their philanthropy alot. I like their group but I am not sure if they are the sorority I want.

PepperAnn was great tonight as well. Their skit was adorable. It was fun. I really enjoyed talking to all the girls and actually met one who looks like and acts just like one of my best friends. It was very neat and I felt that I connected with them really well, even more so then DOug.

Braceface was cool as well. I didn't feel as strong a connection here though. I couldn't think of much to say, and even though their philanthropy is something close to my heart it is not my passion when it comes to community service.

Lizzzzzzzzie. Wow tonight these girls were great. I really felt a connection with these girls. I was actually talking to 3 members at one time and I felt totally comfortable. I felt like I was just hanging with some friends, and not at a actual rush event. I loved the craft we made here because it came out really pretty, and if I was on the receiving end I know it would make me happy. I also have a friend who had involvement with their philanthropy, and that I actually helped out as well, so I liked it alot. I always wanted to do stuff with their philanthropy before I knew it was their philanthropy but didn't know how. I was even so caught up in conversation hear that we didn't even realize it was time to go.

Overall, this is one of the best experiences of my life. I have had a great time, and I am so glad I decided to finally go through with this. I should have done it earlier, silly me. But yeah my rank

PepperAnn and Lizzie are now tied.
Doug
Braceface

Tommorrow is the first day of cuts. I hope I get invited back to at least the top two. But in a perfect world I would get invited back to all, just in case I didn't get the full feel.

So tommorrow is Skit Night. I am soooooooo excited. Our Rho Gammas were talking about how the numbers will be dwindled by tommorrow, but they wouldn't say anything about being totally cut. Hopely my dreams come true and I end up in the sisterhood that is right for me.

Tonight we are doing a scavenger hunt around campus with our groups. I'm excited. Oh yeah there are 5 groups. From what I heard there are 108 girls rushing and quota is 60. So yeah that seems like a lot of broken hearts. I don't really understand the process so could someone break it down for me if thats allowed. Also what do u think my chances are? I know from a small poll of people most peeps want Braceface and PepperAnn.

Thanks again for all the comments. They are really helping to make this week stressfree. I actually feel ahead of the gang bc of all of the suggestions on GC. Can't hurt, might help. lol.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

This makes me want to go through rush..now I see how addicting these threads can be!

Glad to hear you are having such a good time SilMil20! Keep up the positive attitude and mostly enjoy yourself - Any of these 4 groups would be lucky to have you!